Cancel My Rhumba Lessons

It kind of looks that way - when free water in solution has a Water Activity greater than 0.6 (relative to that of distilled water at unit value of 1.0). Dry uncooked pasta has a Water Activity of ~0.5 that of distilled water. “Most spoilage moulds” flourish by WA ~0.8, and “most spoilage yeasts and bacteria” flourish by WA ~0.9 .

Regarding the efficacy of PG and Glycerine as bactericides in cultures, this study reports required % concentration levels for PG and Glycerine to exhibit antimicrobial activity. The lower the % concentrations in solution reported below, the higher the effectiveness as bactericides against the indicated bacterial strains.

JISPCD-5-114-g004
Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4415329/

Am finding Ethanol being referred to as having some “anti-bacterial” activity (more than that of PG or VG). Hopefully serving as a “saving grace” in aqueous solution - as high temperatures may be contraindicated ? The following somewhat interesting CDC link about alcohols as disinfectants was graciously shared (and actually investigated by me, as an essential element of engaging in “critical thinking” as I would define it):
https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/disinfection-methods/chemical.html

A “handy dandy” graphic relating to various mechanisms of breakdown and spoilage:
Source: http://aqualab.decagon.com.br/assets/Article-Graphics/_resampled/resizedimage539384-Water-Activity-for-product-safety-and-quality-figure-1.JPG

Each substance (may, and if so, does) have a unique “Moisture Sorption Isotherm” curve associated with it - which relates proportional Water Content to Water Activity. As Water Activity relates to energy, it alone determines the characteristics. Mustard (that from listings provided seemed the closest to a macerating “goo” solution) reaches Water Activity of ~1.0 at not more than 30% Water Content. Food for thought.

From paper linked-to at beginning of this post here are Water Activity thresholds for (some) microbes:

The above info has been posted in the interest of any (perhaps, just possibly a bit) curious readers.

4 Likes

This is why we do not add water to either a NET or DIY situation.
there is nothing at all to stop mold, floaters or other kinds of contaminants and no prevention.

Taken from this thread here:

If you do not want to pay to test if your invention/solution is safe for you and others, it’s all on you.

Edit: I won’t respond further. This to me is not an argument… not really worth my time in battling.
tired of my mail pinging. don’t like what I said… move on… get over it and go do your own thing, without me in the middle.

7 Likes

Please edit above post.

5 Likes

Oh, I don’t know about that…:thinking:

How’s about a SteriPen? Modern technology is a wonderful thing. :wink:

http://hydro-photon.com/what-it-kills/

5 Likes

Interesting find there. Found a 2015 paper reporting in an (independent, peer-reviewed) product evaluation.

One (possible) concern regarding extracts/e-juice is the UV wavelength used (254 nM, existing in the UV-C range, see Figure 7 on Page 473). The following makes me wonder about the optical transmissivity of the various types of relevant (extract/e-juice) solutions, and resulting impacts upon process effectiveness(?):

When covering the SteriPENs’s bulb with a PET bottle or a drinking glass, the peaks in the UV-B and -C range disappear. Only visible light as well as a small part of the UV-A fraction passes through the material. This effect could be reproduced by placing a regular pair of eyeglasses in front of the detection unit. Also in this case the UV-B and -C rays were filtered out completely. (Page 471)

Another point is that in the company’s published list of microbial pathogens affected (here), there is no mention of what appears to be the most dangerous constituent - Aspergillus Fumigatus conidia (spores), which are said to survive the (higher than vaping) combustion temperatures of, and enter the smoke from, burning tobacco. AF conida are ubiquitous in the environment (estimates are that ~400 are inhaled daily), and they can represent a very serious respiratory danger to any person(s) who are immune-compromised.

Collectively, the aspergilli are remarkable fungi. They are not only environmentally ubiquitous; they are also used as the cell factory of choice for many biotechnological applications. … there are numerous aspects of Aspergillus cell biology and ecology (including their metabolic dexterity when adapting to nutritional and biophysical challenges) which contribute to their status as, arguably, the most potent opportunistic fungal pathogens of mammalian hosts. … Spores of Aspergillus species are among the microbial cells with the greatest longevity; highest tolerances to heat, pressure and chaotropicity; and ability to germinate at the lowest water activity. … it has become clear that Aspergillus species can produce biofilms on abiotic or biotic surfaces, an ability which impacts clinical medicine. … biofilm formation by Aspergillus is induced by a complex interplay of different fungal constituents, such as cell wall components, secondary metabolites and drug transporters. Biofilm formation and production of EPS is an important determinant in the development of aspergillosis, as EPS and biofilms can also protect against stresses induced by antimicrobials and microbial competitors.

Aspergilli exhibit the highest tolerances towards ionizing radiation and ultraviolet radiation among other microbes. … Melanin has been quantified in A. fumigatus at values of 3.4 mg ml … In Aspergillus spores (and hyphae), this pigment protects against oxidative stress, ultraviolet radiation, ionizing radiation, high temperature by enhancing the rigidity of the cell wall.

Melanin content increased in Aspergillus fumigatus mycelium exposed to ultraviolet for 10 min but gradually decreased after 60 min of UV exposure. So, it can be concluded that melanin protects fungus for survival until 60 min … Aspergillus Fumigatus conidia are known to produce a bluish-green pigment by using the dihydroxynaphthalene (DHN)-melanin pathway.

“Genome Sequences of Two Aspergillus fumigatus Strains, Isolated from the International Space Station”:
Aspergillus fumigatus is a saprophytic, filamentous fungus that is ubiquitous outdoors (soil, decaying vegetation) and indoors (hospitals, simulated closed habitats, etc.). Aspergillus fumigatus can adapt to various environmental conditions and form airborne conidia that are the inoculum for a variety of diseases (e.g., noninvasive and invasive pulmonary infections, allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis, etc.) in immunocompromised hosts.

The presence of mold on cured tobacco can significantly reduce the quality and marketability of the crop. Mold growth is a fairly common problem that occurs during extended periods of high humidity (>70% RH) at temperatures anywhere between 50 and 90F. However, mold growth typically increases as the temperature increases. Most species of mold are ubiquitous organisms that can grow almost anywhere if favorable conditions exist. Like most living organisms, mold needs a source of free water and food in order to grow. Any source of simple carbon and protein with favorable salts can serve as a food source for mold and any humid environment where organic materials remain moist for more than 24 hours will provide free water for mold growth. … Tobacco hanging in a curing barn during extended periods of high humidity can provide an ideal environment for mold growth. … The most common types of mold found in nature are of the genera Cladosporium, Penicillium, Alternaria, Aspergillus, and Mucor. … Although some growers have claimed to have some success against mold on tobacco by making direct, undiluted applications of various alcohols, primarily denatured ethyl alcohol (ethanol) or bleach, no such compounds are currently registered for control of mold on curing tobacco. Any fungicide that would control mold would have to be applied in the field and then have sufficient residues to last through curing and marketing. Some fungicides have this type of residual activity but tobacco companies cannot accept these residues. Several companies have considered labeling alcohols for mold removal, but their legal departments have advised them against this due to liability issues. Although ethanol or bleach may be effective in reducing mold, we cannot recommend the use of such compounds and therefore the user must assume all liability involved with their use.

My personally chosen approach is to attempt to filter-out AF conidia (2-3 Microns in width, 6-8 Microns in length) by using 1.5 Micron acceptance-size filters, carefully discarding filter and all pre-filtered components, then storing my filtered tobacco leaf extracts in sealed glass containers in my refrigerator at ~50 *F (10 *C). As far as suspension of the extracts in PG and/or VG is concerned, PG is an ingredient that is used when storing and culturing AF. Even more common appears to be VG, which is used extensively in solutions for storage of AF and combined with Glucose when culturing AF. Thus, I am not “bullish” on glycols as protective

6 Likes

The pic on the bottom looks like the Wonton Soup I made once. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I sense that (perhaps) you are holding back somewhat. Why not instead tell us what you really think ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps you should forward your semantic beef to the rogue authors of, “Bactericidal activity of propylene glycol, glycerine, polyethylene glycol 400, and polyethylene glycol 1000 against selected microorganisms”. They really should know better than to spew such ignorance in the name of “Clinical Science”. Shameful.

Indeed, those often much maligned microbial critters can indeed be our friends ! All that they need to do is metastasize from lungs to the large intestine via one’s bloodstream to work their “systemic infective magic” !

I myself rely on my super-bodacious immune system. Pesky aspergillomas are no match for my ultra-macho macrophagic phagocytes formulating ginormous and beefy granulomas running quicker than death, forthwith.

Cancel my Rhumba lessons, then ! I’m taking my utterly clueless pseudo-scientific toys, and going “home”:

3 Likes

I think the more important question would be would you vape any of them cause I sure wouldn’t. The last one looks like a mix made with Alterna

3 Likes

Even if someone told you that as they roll down the throat and into the tummy they become wide-spectrum pro-biotics that will set your microbiome straight with a seasonal cavalcade of groovy new “strangers” ?

2 Likes

Yup I may well be - not going to change that anytime soon. Lungs and belly are not the same organ.

2 Likes

No all i am saying is I would not vape juice that looks like that. Flavour is not the same as festy bits growing in my vape juice. But I don’t vape or make tobacco nets either as the taste doesn’t appeal to me and any net made down here would be super expensive due to the sin tax the government has on tobacco so it will never be an option for me even if I wanted to.

I do not claim to have any knowledge as to any health effect of vaping mould or bacteria. I am just saying that they look unappealing and would not vape them. If you would vape them then feel free. As for the original thread extracting using water I have zero experience of doing any extract so cannot and will not comment as to any good or bad that may come of it.

2 Likes

Perhaps “Free Range Non-GMO Corned Beef Shank Nuances” have a fightin’ chance ? “Unicorn Puke” ?

2 Likes

Well I rarely drink beer or apple cider so there is that :wink:

3 Likes

giphy

11 Likes

I can play this game. The only thing I can think, of that is non toxic at the moment might be “yeast”. Used in most things like beer, whiskey, and bread making. The other thing if you are thinking of moldy stuff is the Blue Cheese.

Edit: need to read better. LOL.

2 Likes

So, aside from the colorful metaphors and unimpressive scientific verbiage , what’s the actual point of this thread again? Tell us like we’re 5 year olds.

5 Likes

I have two very important questions in this matter.

1. Where did you obtain my soup?

2. Why did you put floppy Pringles in it?

9 Likes

surprised yeast wasn’t the answer…
ummmm is it acetobacter?

3 Likes

Let me guess now … Crotch Cheese Californicus Citrate ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Nurse Ratched has asked all inmates to kindly stop covertly munching on the electrode-cream forthwith !

2 Likes

Citric acid?

4 Likes