Cant get it 'tasty'

@facecrawlx when I tested CAP’s Milkshake it was really good. You could even start smaller, and try just CAP’s Milkshake, with your TPA Strawberry Ripe, and INW Shisha SB with maybe a dash of TPA Dairy/Milk, and see how it fares …

12 Likes

If I may ask, what’s your vaping set up? Mod, rda/rta/atomizer?

7 Likes

Got a few actually…
Smok Rigel with Tfv9
Drag 2 with Smok tfv12 prince mr tfv16 lite
Smok Rigel mini kit
Vaporesso Gen 80s

Learning about RDA’s… want one…

5 Likes

Maybe I missed it but I don’t see ‘steep time’ mentioned anywhere. Beyond the already great advice given, how long you steep your mix is important so the flavors mature and come through more. Especially when working with creams and cheesecakes. As a rule I steep a minimum of 7 days for those types of recipes. Mix it, shake it up and put it away…shaking every couple of days til it’s ready.

10 Likes

Naked Unicorn has a large percentage of Cap Strawberries and Cream

7 Likes

Do you follow Wayne form Diy or Die lol…

2 Likes

I had the same issue with Strawberry milk found this from Wayne (DiyorDie) & I added Cap Ripe Strawberries and some Cap Sweet Cream. If you need more candied strawberry try strawberry gummy candy from WF 1.5%.

Naked 100 Unicorn Milk

New York Cheesecake (CAP) 2.00
Ripe Strawberries (CAP) 3.00
Strawberries and Cream (CAP) 6.00
Super Sweet (CAP) 0.50
Sweet Strawberry (CAP) 4.00
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (CAP) 3.00
Sweet Cream (Cap) 1.00

6 Likes

Seems pretty covered, though my advise is for any new mix is what is the HERO in the mix.

From

Your HERO appears to be the Melted ICE CREAM/ Milk base.
I would offer the following. Get several ice cream bases and test at 6-8% and see which one rings your bell.
That is your HERO, it may be missing some accents though you can easily pick them up.
With an ice cream you may be looking for more vanilla tones, or more milk in the mouth. That will be the one you are after as your HERO

Once you have the HERO the rest is easy - 95% of your time should be invested into the HERO.

Now you are ready to add some accents - for an ICE CREAM we have found that adding an cooling agent like - WS-23 @0.4-0.6% as you do not want mint tones. It will give an undertone that is not cool but something else. We use this in our SPLICE commercial recipe. Its not cool but it enhances the cream notes in the ice cream, making it an better ice cream.

If you wish to add more vanilla, add something like our vanilla swirl or you can use TFA for a similar type of flavour - say 2% for that vanilla ice cream full flavour. Test with your HERO and adjust accordingly as it may need backing off slightly.
You may find that you want more mouth feel, I would suggest adding in something like marshmallow custard at 4% and meringue at 1%. That will take care of the vanilla ice cream. If you are using other flavour houses then you may need some Triacetin aka smooth, wizard. Though only use as a 10% dilution. Triacetin is common in many flavouring as a carrier or enhancer. Would only use at 0.5-1% in its diluted state. This will blend and round the ICE CREAM out for a better mouth feel.
NOTE: creams will need to be tested after 48-72 hours to get the true flavour profiles.
You can do a hack on your mix to get a better idea. Flavours take time to migrate with the carrying base. With VG you can excite the molecules to accept the flavour to bind by sticking the mix into the microwave for no more than 3-6 secs. As you only want to heat the base and flavour.
NOTE: if you overheat the flavours you will destroy 70% of the flavour note or profile.

This will give you an idea where your HERO and accents are. Once you are happy with the ICE CREAM base and it is doing what you want. Then you can add your strawberry.
We find you are better off adding the vanilla into the creams or getting it from the creams than using a soft strawberry. Strawberry can be easily muted, lost or muted by vanilla or soft types of strawberry flavours.

Again add in 2-3% of your strawberry to about 12-16% of your ICE CREAM HERO (blend) and test. You may need to accent the strawberry by adding in an soft apple at 0.2-0.5% to get the juiciness of your strawberry to come through. Using our Fairy Floss aka Cotton Candy will make your fruit candy like though you could try Strawberry ripe, will depend on what strawberry you are using and if it has any maltol in the formulation. Or you can use something like our Strawberry Jam for a jammier strawberry and a touch of strawberry biscuit for the waffle cone effect at the end.
Dial your strawberry up or down first to get the right amount of strawberry before adding anything thing else to the strawberry to get it where you want. Getting the right level of Strawberry to your HERO base will be key, you can make it juicier etc by accenting.

NOTE: once you have your strawberry where you want add in 1.0-1.5% of super sweet aka sucralose @20% in PG. Would not suggest adding in TFA sweetener aka ethyl maltol 5% and sucralose 5% as the maltol will mute out the strawberry and change the profile of your HERO as well. Though this may be what you are looking for as you stated. So by using TFA sweetener may give you what you want at 1% to your recipe as it stands.

Hope that helps and makes sense.

11 Likes

I like the “Hero” for your description , I use Superstar but Hero works as well lol…

8 Likes

I’m trying to create a nice crisp sweet/tart apple, this is what I have so far, obviously it’s only steeped a couple days but I don’t think it’s going to give me the authentic fresh apple flavor I’m looking for or I should say my daughter is looking for. What am I missing? Maybe a tiny bit of cooling agent? The apple flavor isn’t very pronounced either do you think increasing the apple percentage will help? Maybe I’m impatient and just need to let it sit. Problem is, I’m going to Virginia to visit her Monday for her birthday and want to have a good mix for her.
As always, thank you in advance for your help!

5 Likes

A knuckle test straight after a mix up and shake - ultrasonic mixer is best. Though a good shake for a few minutes will give you enough to go on.
Personally if the flavour profiles are not there then, they never will be. It may round out and enhance a little but if the HERO is not there it will never be. Will have a look at the recipe and offer my advice like other I am sure.

5 Likes

As apple as your HERO, I think that they are fighting each other. Being that you have Fuji , Green both at 3% one is fighting the other. Plus will give it a tart finish. Along with the granny smith you will end up with a tart profile.

I would start with single testing all the apples at 7% and see what you like. Use that one as the main and then go from there. If you want red apple, do not use green apples. I would maybe go 7% on the cactus apple and add 2-3% of fuji as you can over power fuji cap. Personally I think you have green apple too high and may not be needed.

I would start there, get your apple right first. Which one is the main profile, gives you what you want first.
Then accent it out.
You may find you only need cactus apple high (8%), 1% of fuji, I would add dragonfruit in there at 0.2-1% to get some juice into the apple plus a little meringue 0.5-1% will also help brighten the apple.

Though again get the single apple that you want to use right first then go from there.

Also the major issue is that you over all flavour percentage is low at 7% total. Not sure what device or tank your daughter is using though if it is a POD then you will need to mix at 60vg/40pg or 50vg/50pg as the base. Also you will need 22-28% total flavour. If you are looking for a commercial juice style
Also you will need to raise the sugar to at least 1% if not 2% which most commercial juice will run.

If you are happy with the recipe you have, try lifting the total percentage of flavour to 22% and adjust the sugar to 1% first and you may have a winner.

9 Likes

Jeez…I need a fuckin nap after reading that!

7 Likes

Thank you so much @Jetz that was a great amount of information and it looks like I’ll be doing some serious SFT’s and mixing tomorrow.
My daughter uses a Vaporesso Gen 200 with a Freemax pro tank at 65w. I use several set up’s all are RDA, RTA, ranging from 55W to 75W.
Again, thank you for your help!

8 Likes

Not a problem. Let us know how you go and what you end up with

8 Likes

Good information @Jetz, and GREAT explanations as to WHY.

5 Likes

Awesome explanation, thank you.

5 Likes

Agree with Jets. Your apples are fighting each other. Your going to have to decide what apple you want to be the front flavor set at a higher percentage and then compliment the the front flavor.

5 Likes

Definitely think there’s way to much going on with that recipe. I only have FLV Apple (which is a bright crisp apple, and I think that one can go pretty high) I like using a Pear with apple to give the mix a syrupy feel.

7 Likes

More than welcome to help and share a bit of our knowledge.

Having said that most of the Best selling and long term commercial flavours only run 3-5 flavours in their recipes and generally they are from only two sources. They run flavouring in fruit between 22-28% and if a cream is added or the Hero around 26-32% with between 1-2% sugar content which will most likely be one of the sugar alcohols. Yes most sugars are alcohols

See the link if you are interested

The reason commercial juices are this way

1. they are trying to cover a great flavour across a remake of devices
  2. a range of nic levels and mg/ml levels especially in the uk and NZ as nic is only 30mg/ml etc
  3. costs of supply and production
  4. ease of getting product

Happy Easter everyone

11 Likes