Capella (NEW) Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer

I’m loving sticky bun, custard cake, frosting and I think vanilla milk froth will be my favorite! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

7 Likes

I look forward to seeing your views on the pineapple: It’s one flavour that I need to play with more.

5 Likes

All the flavors sound awesome! We wait with bated breath lol!

6 Likes

Custard Cake (CAP) 4% (1-15-22) – Alright, I couldn’t wait for the FULL steepity, steep, steep, steep, so we’ll just get INTO these NOW !!! FIRST official Capella SFT thread by me, so never a dull moment here. It was actually THIS flavor, mentioned in another thread, that alerted me that CAP had released some NEW flavors, so let’s get TO it. Having a LARGE collection of CAP flavors, it’s pretty rare, and very unexpected to get a flavor that really tastes NEW, that doesn’t share numerous commonalities with other CAP flavors. This one I TRIED to pick apart, find close similarities, or “recycles” as I call them, and I couldn’t. Pretty cool, right ? In the bottle, I thought I might have caught a whiff of French Vanilla, but tasting is, that was NOT present. I found this to be a really NEAT flavor. The Yellow Cake to my tastes was readily present, BUT, it was tempered by something else, something more. At first, I was trying to envision a CAP VC but, without the egg, but that wasn’t it. Vanilla cupcake ?? No. Maybe an almost vanilla pudding, with fairly recessed vanilla, might be close. Some YC’s can push into “baby powder” if run too high, and this one showed no signs of that @ 4%. If was actually nicely full at this weight, with nothing off-putting, and sweetness was at about mid level. It wandered around a bit, which kept it more interesting than not, but try to imagine a delicious Yellow Cake, with some darkened notes, just like the cake out of the pan where it was slightly overcooked on the outer edges, mixed with Pudding, a smidge of Vanilla, and that’s what this one was. No eggy, so eggy custard junkies, will have to look elsewhere. I kept pondering if the slight Vanilla I was getting was CAP’s French Vanilla, but every time I focused on it, the answer was no. I was very surprised by this one, and had completely expected to notice/identify a previous CAP nuance, but, it never revealed that. Moderately sweet, and with an overall smooth, and almost creamy-like aspect, that did keep you coming back, this one proved to be interesting, and addictive, AND, could almost stand on it’s own. What will be neat about this one, is it’s uses. Custards, cakes (duh), but bakeries, and much more could benefit from this, as it straddled a few different profiles. Not just a custard,or just a cake, but actually BOTH, and with some delicious pudding thrown in on top. Having been unable to put it down yet, I think 9.4/10 outta about sum it up.

25 Likes

Frosting (CAP) 4% (1-16-22) – With FLV’s Frosting being my GOTO Frosting, I was curious to see how CAP’s new Frosting would fare. In two words, Pretty Good !!! Somehow Capella was really able to capture an almost pure Confectioners Sugared Frosting. Not buttery, not rich, but it presented with an almost creamy-ness to it, that might be better described as a “smoothness”. Very clean, somewhat light, but unmistakably a Frosting. Whether or not it had slight vanilla notes may be up to you, and I sometimes got a slight hint of it, but not strong enough to be called a Vanilla Frosting. Just a very clean, fairly neutral frosting, that was just a perfect capture of confectioners sugar. @ 4% it felt about as full as you could get it, yet, it was still somewhat of a lighter flavor. Sweetness was a few ticks above mid-level, but hey, it’s a Frosting !!! Nicely done, with nothing off-putting, and very accurate. If you need some nice finishing touches to add to your bakeries, or a sweet kick, this one, should be in your cart. Fluffy, light, accurate, and sweet, what else could you need in a frosting ? Easily a 9.5/10.

20 Likes

Milkshake (CAP) 4% (1-16-22) – In a word, WOW !!! I’ve got to give you more than that, right ? In many milkshake flavors I have tried, there was often a common “dairy” element, maybe even a “malted” element, that was used to simulate a “milkshake”, and I had expected it to be in this one as well. It wasn’t !!! This was exciting as that flavor/element/profile always seemed to be just a blah workaround. It wasn’t terrible, BUT, it always felt, “just kind of close”. Great thing for us, is that was NOT present here, and that really opened up the possibility for a newly new Milkshake for all of us. This presented as a very clean, and accurate Milkshake, BUT, without any typical vanilla, or malted profiles, which left it completely willing, and able to be molded into whatever you needed it to be. It was fairly creamy, and had good mouthfeel, but wasn’t the tops in either, but neither was lacking. For those of you in the US, it was VERY close to a Chick-Fil-A milkshake. Because it WAS lacking that aforementioned dairy/malted note, I could see almost unlimited uses for this flavor, and even as a solo, was pretty damned impressive. If you’ve been let down by other Milkshake flavors, or found yourself needing a clean, accurate one, this one should be on your list. It wasn’t buttery rich like LB’s VIC, but cleaner, like Sobucky’s Ice Creams. For my milkshake needs, even while not topping the ultra creamy or mouthfeel departments, I just couldn’t mark this one down. 4% left it full, rich, and just above mid-level sweet, and pushing it higher probably wouldn’t saturate it any more. Clean, crisp, neutral, accurate, without any off-putting notes. 10/10.

21 Likes

Fresh Pineapple (CAP) 3% (1-16-22) – OK, is it better than CAP’s Golden Pineapple ?? I think it is. Now, I smelled this one in the bottle, and it was a little punchy, so I decided to drop it to 3%, and one tester down, I’m wondering if I could have pushed it to 4% for some more presence. As it stood, for MY tastes, it was far juicier, and indeed fresher than CAP’s aforementioned pineapple. Nice bright yellow chunks, in pineapple juice is what I got from this one. Not candied, not cooked, but just fresh juicy chunks in juice. At times I did wish it had just a bit MORE, so that was probably my fault for dropping it to 3%, and I think I’ll change my rec. to 3.5-4.0% for a single flavor. The mid notes were perfectly paired with the bright higher notes, and it was very convincing, and did taste very natural. Nothing off-putting, and the juicy/fresh aspects carried all the way through till the end of the test. Now it might not be quite able to topple my personal Pineapple fav. Sugarloaf, but I could see running them in tandem, or pairing this with another like INW’s Pineapple to really push things. By itself, it was quite good, and worth picking up. I can see why CAP added this to their roster, to better accommodate Pineapple-ers. This felt pretty good at 8.4/10.

18 Likes

I have to grab Milkshake and Shortbread. I love SSA shortbread which is why I didn’t grab capella’s but some say they use as a one shot. Did you get more concentrates and just steeping? Great reviews, thanks!

6 Likes

I got them all @Lynda_Marie and just going down the line. The Nut Muffin was OOS when I first ordered, so it will be later. Shortbread is next, and having fallen in love with SSA’s Shortbread Cookie, and hearing CAP’s was close to, if not a one-shot, has me interested to see.

6 Likes

11 Likes

LOL, so far, no one’s talking, ehhhh ??

Curious, isn’t it …

6 Likes

Only size left in stock at BCF is 16oz size…

6 Likes

Holy moly wow.

4 Likes

I still haven’t had the chance to open mine :man_facepalming: looking forward to it though.

5 Likes

Shortbread (CAP) 3.5% (1-17-22) – It appears that BCF is having a hard time keeping this one (and others) in stock, so must be a good sign, right ?? Hehe, we’ll just see about that. Initially when I tested this one, I did a DOUBLE TAKE. Now, not because it was terrible, or off-putting, but UNEXPECTED. What, you say ?? Well, I’d swear this one was almost like a Pumpkin Bread, but without the Pumpkin. Yes, you read that right. I double, and tripple checked, to make sure nothing was wrong on my end, and that’s what I get from this one. Now, this is going to be hell for me to rate, as it’s a GREAT flavor, I just don’t think it’s a shortbread. At times I could get a LITTLE buttery-ness, and almost shortbread-ed-ness, but the majority of the time, it presented as a pumpking bread, missing the pumpkin, or even a ginger bread, minus the ginger. Sound confusing, good, welcome to MY world. In no ways was it off-putting, but it really came across far too dark, and almost spice (like) to be a light, shortbread. If this is a shortbread, it’s like none that I’ve ever tried. Regardless of it’s namesake or lack thereof, it was actually hella delicious, for WHATEVER it was. Just below or at mid-level sweet, with literally no off-putting notes, and with no indication of hitting the ceiling. @ 4% it was a nice, rich, almost dark cookie, that (repeating) just leaned towards a pumpkin or gingerbread cookie more than anything else. NO overt spices, but it’s like they were IN there. Quite good, and damned fine, as a solo too boot. I am enjoying this one SOO much, I’m going to have to DOUBLE RATE it. No other way, it’s too good. OK, for a “shortbread cookie”, I would have to go low, maybe 5.5/10, BUT, as a (I have no clue), maybe a cookie base for a gingerbread, or pumpkin bread, I would have to rate it at a 10/10. You guys NEED to get this one, and YOU sound off, what YOU get from it. Don’t buy it to be used as a shortbread, but get it anyway, and ENJOY it, just like I am. Bad name Capella, but GREAT flavor !!!

19 Likes

You nailed this. This is my favorite one right now and if you mix it with custard cake, it’s fantastic. Love it.

10 Likes

Wow, thank you VERY much @SolteroDIY. I really thought I had screwed up my testers, or something. Glad to hear at least I got THIS one right hehe.

6 Likes

OH YES, I can see THAT working out GREAT !!!

5 Likes

Your a freakin Rockstar. Thank you for these reviews. I really really appreciate them.

8 Likes

You’re very kind @robin, and I hope they help you.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes