Capella (NEW) Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer

Sounds like it would work well with a Coffee.
Thanks for the review

7 Likes

Yeah, I wish BCF carried a few of these newest CAP flavors. KK Bar sounds so delicious!
P.S. BOLO for mail within the next few days, ok?

4 Likes

Oh HELL YEAH it would @Pastorfuzz, and thank you.

I tell you what @KC111 let me ask Allan from Capella and see what the plans are with these.

Hehe, wait, whut ??

5 Likes

THAT was directed to PF.

2 Likes

I owe you so much already, but that would be incredible!

3 Likes

Lemon Drop (CAP) 4% (2-1-23) – Most lemons I’ve tested fall into 3 categories. Natural, Lemon Candy, and Lemonades. This one as expected landed into the “candy” category, but unlike FE’s it was NOT a Lemonhead candy. It had some slight natural undertones, but the majority were almost a mixture of a lemon candy with some lemonade thrown in. I think this helped pull it from a more Lemonhead into a drop (candy). The natural / artificial ratio would be roughly 20% natural, 80% artificial, and the natural/candy/lemonade ratio would be close to 10% natural, 60% candy, 30% lemonade JUST to give you a better idea of what was I getting from it. With soo many lemony notes floating around, it actually took me QUITE a while to figure up those ratios for you guys, hehe. It was full but still just a smidge relaxed at 4%, and a few ticks above mid-level sweet. You could POSSIBLY go up a percent more without hitting the ceiling as a single flavor. There were some tart/sour notes, and although not reaching full on natural lemon levels they were enough to give it a crisp, clean finish. Because it had all three elements (natural, candy, lemonade) it could actually be used beyond the obvious “candy” uses, possibly even on LMP’s and more. One meat aspect that I seemed to keep getting on the finish also, was an almost powdered confectioners sugar that some candies have on the outside. An interesting mix or medley, and it’s straddling across the 3 big types, would help increase it’s uses. Nothing off-putting, and it was an accurate Lemon Drop, without turning into a Lemonhead. Not the tartest lemon out there, but I don’t think it needed to be. Even keeled, sweet, tart, with a dash of sour, slightly relaxed, and a good medley of lemon types is what you get with this one. It felt Solid @ 9.0/10.

18 Likes

Nice, I used to like lemon drops before I worked out the lemon gives me reflux…

Out of curiosity, what do you class the remaining 10% as? :man_shrugging: :smile:

5 Likes

@Ianc13 was that the real candy, or flavors ?

Bleh LOL …

and the natural/candy/lemonade ratio would be close to 10% natural, 60% candy, 30% lemonade

Thanks mate.

5 Likes

I love how as I read your reviews I get recipe ideas, this Lemon Drop is no exception. Down for delivery today, but I doubt before I go to work.

5 Likes

Both. I knew about the real problem for ages but only discovered the issue with lemon based flavours when mixing LMT/LMP recipes. Pretty much anything citrus based gives me reflux so I just avoid them all. I love the taste of citrus, but not worth the reaction my body has.

6 Likes

Sounds like me and a lot of tobacco recipes @Ianc13.

2 Likes

Lemon Meringue Pie v.3 (CAP) 4% (2-2-23) – Capella’s Lemon Meringue Pie (v.1) was one of the FIRST flavors I ever purchased, and remains one of my most used, to this day. I briefly tried the v.2 when the anti DIK/DAAP movement was afoot, but it became obvious that too MY tastes, v.1 rained supreme. Now on to v.3, I was indeed curious to see what was what. Despite having a love affair with LMP v.1, both the v.1 and v.2 needed some help to really make them shine. This one, felt about the same. The familiar bakery/graham crust was there, along with a very good meringue, along with the Lemon. The lemon (as in the other 2 versions) would, and does require a little bit of help to really make it POP. The lemon was present, but fairly low in the overall mix, hence the need for a boost. The graham/bakery crust was almost the star of this flavor, and is/was completely different from Capella’s Graham Cracker, and I actually wish Capella, would release JUST the bakery/crust from this flavor, as a STAND ALONE. I’d buy it. With that said, assuming dik/daap free, it was not as buttery rich as the v.1, but still accurately conveyed a great bakery/crust. The meringue took second seat to the crust, and was present enough, to hold it’s own throughout my tests. It was very hard to tell if there was indeed any “curd” in this or not because of the way the crust and meringue were blended, and the light lemon, made it hard to tell. I’ve seen testing done at over twice this rate @ 10%, but I decided to keep this lower, and even at 4% it was a good flavor, and very similar to the v.1, and v.2 that most of us have used over the years. Just below mid level sweet, and as with the previous versions, no off-putting notes, or anything out of place. By boosting the meringue just a smidge, and heating up the lemon a bit, maybe even a touch of sweetener, would really push this one to the next level. At it stood, at 4%, it was a great LMP, that could EASILY be spiked to the next level. Great flavor, just needed a little boost. It felt solidly placed @ 8.5/10.

15 Likes

It doesn’t seem to me there would be any reason to switch from 1 to 3. Those of us who use it regularly know to boost the lemon and the crust as well. Good review.

7 Likes

@natbone I do personally prefer the v.1.

2 Likes

Nectariine (CAP) 4.0%/6.0% (2-4-23) – I had to spend some EXTRA time on this one, as it was a curiosity to me. Now as strange as it sounds, I got an initial impression, that 3 testers later I was unable to shake. This one although good, did not present as a full on Nectarine, but more like a nectarine mixed with RFSC Yumberry, or something close to that. Crazy right ? Smelling it, the Nectarine was far more present than when tasting it. Now with that said, it was a great flavor, but not as pure or clear of a nectarine. The yumberry-ish blend/ing was unshakeable, and stayed present throughout the entire test. The ironic thing here is, this flavor is GREAT, but not as a pure Nectarine. The nectarine that was present was somewhat sweet, and juicy. The room note on this one, had a very recognizable smell that reminded me of commercial fruit mixes. Just to make sure I hadn’t underpowered this one I upp’d and re-tested it @ 6%, and it was a little stronger, but the same. After 3 testers, I still hadn’t grown tired of this one, and as stated, it was actually a really good flavor, and despite not super nailing the nectarine, if you like fruity flavors, I would actually highly recommend it, as it was that good. No ceiling smashing at either percentages, and it was just below mid-level sweet. I struggled to better describe this one, but could not, so I’ll leave this one as a good Nectarine, BUT, paired up with an almost candy-ish Yumberry. As a pure/specific Nectarine, I would have to drop it somewhat to a 6.5/10, BUT, as a Nectarine paired with a delicious Yumberry I would have to rate it MUCH higher @ 9.5/10. You may want to pick this one up, and enjoy it anyway, … I am.

15 Likes

Peach (W/O Stevia) (CAP) 4% (2-5-23) – Because I’m finishing up this series, I didn’t want to slow the roll, and break into side tests, but after this series is completed, I WILL directly compare CAP’s Peach WITH and WITHOUT Stevia to see how much of a difference the Stevia makes. Right out of the gate, without Stevia, this one did not disappoint. It presented as a nice juicy, yellow peach without hesitation. No pits or skin, but the juicy yellow fleshy body. @ 4% it was nicely full, and did not taste underpowered. Sweetness was just below mid level, and at that level it felt/tasted natural without any “candy”-ness. To better define the sweetness, it was also not soo sweet that it fell into canned peaches in sytrup. Natural tasting, with no off-notes, and it had plenty of lower/mid notes as well as some sparkling high notes, which kept it interesting, and non one dimensional. As far as peaches went, it was right in the middle of the road, and that would allow for even more uses, from candied, fruit pairings, and bakeries and pies. Overall it did have an interesting tartness, which not only gave it a little kick, but added authenticity, and ripe-ness to it. All in, an impressive NON-Stevia’d version of a yellow peach, that was JUST sweet enough, and just tart enough to really keep it interesting. Hard to knock something down, when it does what it claims to do, and does it well. Easily a 9.5/10.

14 Likes

Smoooooth Custard on deck !!!

6 Likes

Smooth Custard (CAP) 4% (2-5-23) – Ohhh Yeahhh !!! I just had to get THAT out of the way. YES, this is one of the ones I wanted to hit FIRST, but, I had to let the process run. OK, what DO we have here with the NEW Cap Smooth Custard. EXACTLY that. Vanilla Custard paired perfectly with creams/creameries. Review over, right ?? Hehe, ok, a little more details on this one. I did get a good dose of what I call “Capella Classic Vanilla Custard” in here, BUT it was tempered by a super smooth (and creamy) creamery. Now, I’ve already been asked more than once if this was CAP VC1 with the NEW Creamy Vanilla. I can neither confirm nor deny that, BUT, it could be. I honestly think it’s more than that simple pairing. The eggy CAP VC is back, BUT, because of how it is/was tempered by the creamery elements, it was not quite as IN your face. It was still plenty thick, and rich at 4% with utterly NO NEED to crank it up, as it was full flavored at this weight. Now I continue to mention VC v.1 but, in this new dik/daap free-ish world we live in, I’m sure this one is free of those as well, and although there were no overt buttery notes, it was still QUITE the tasty one. I felt that it was thicker than just a simple VC and Cream mix, and at times I almost got a bakery-ish element in there, that also worked to thicken it up, and make it even more enjoyable. Because the VC elements were still fairly present, it made completely identifying the cream/creameries in here, pretty damned hard, BUT they ARE in there, and worked to really increase the richness of this one, without a thinning effect. Beautifully blended, and ratio-d. What’s neat about this one is it will probably appeal to both diehard CAP VC fans, AND people not necessarily looking for a heavy eggy-ness. It’s there, but tempered by the creamy elements. Creamy Custard perfectly names this one, as I did not get any Pudding in here at all. No off notes, and rather HARD to put down. If you like Cap’s VC, and Creameries, you should sign up for this one !!! For a rich, creamy mashup of Cap’s VC and and delicious creams/creameries, this one won’t let you down. Creamy and rich RIGHT up until the end of the testers. I cannot go below 9.9/10 on this one guys.

16 Likes

I would like to thank the ELR Overlords, as I have STILL not reached the character cap on the top OP. On another forum I did, and it broke some of the continuity of the “Master Post”. Thanks for that.

8 Likes

Bloody hell @SessionDrummer I don’t need ANOTHER custard but now I will have to keep my eye on this one next time I am ordering! :face_with_raised_eyebrow::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes