Capella (NEW) Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer

Grape Candy (CAP) 4% (1-25-23) – Sorry for the slight delay while writing up the SteamCrave Meson RTA. My experience with vape grapes has always lead to one of three categories. Natural, Candied, Soda’d. Now IMO, there is, or can be a FINE line when trying to make a candy grape vs. a soda grape, but CAP did it. This one WAS indeed, a candied grape. Although this one leaned artificial, I was surprised to get some good, natural tasting notes. The grape was a nice dark concord-ish grape, and was a few ticks above mid-level sweet. Smelling it in the bottle I kept wondering if I was getting a Grape Nehi from it, but vaping it, proved to be candied, for more than a soda. At 4% it was very full, AND purple, just the way I like my grapes. I can’t think of many grape recipes this wouldn’t work in, except for the rare few, where a less sweetened, completely natural flavor is/was required. Simply put, this was a very accurate, candied grape (aka. Grape Candy), with no off notes, and above mid level sweetness. You COULD easily smash this into a soda, and/or with pair other grapes if needed, to bolster/drive the purple. As a solo, while not overly complex, held my interest through two tanks. In closing, this one hard an almost “tarty” finish to it, and that helped it finish with a “zing”, and that helped to keep it interesting. With little to no takeoffs, it was hard to go below 9.0/10 on this one.

14 Likes

I remember getting Passionate Pineapple from Chef’s. The knuckle test was a mouthwatering goodness experience, so I mixed it up at the recommended %'s with pg/vg and nic. It turned out to be a disappointment.

3 Likes

Do you live in the UK? I was going to recommend some essential oil treatments. I sympathize with your pain. I was a downhill skiier that traveled all over the continent to ski and swore I’d rather die if I ever had to give up skiing. I was almost a black belt in kenpo karate, loved intramural volleyball. I know God has a different plan for me so I just have to trust there is a reason to not be able to ski or snowboard anymore :rofl:. I’d love to peek at your artwork.

4 Likes

One from a recent custom miniature where the impression of different fabrics mattered:

I’d have to go through my drives for oil and acrylic works.

8 Likes

That is impressive, the detail with particular attention to colors!

4 Likes

That is cool as shit. Good work.
Now you need some Bonsai Trees with those

3 Likes

I’m actually finishing off my designs for having a Sakura scene on a dreadnought.

4 Likes

Nice review of the Grape Candy. I just ordered some and looking forward to trying it out Thanks!:+1:

4 Likes

You’re welcome, and thank you @trcallahan.

3 Likes

Chocolate Coconut Almond (CAP) 4% (1-27-23) – CAP Chocolate lovers rejoice, as we’re coming back to this one. I pushed it further down in the list, rather than test 3 chocolates back to back. Starting with fresh eyes (tastebuds) on this one, revealed yet ANOTHER great chocolate flavor from Capella. This one was different from the Chocolate Fudge Brownie, but very similar to the Chocolate Caramel Nut, as expected. The chocolate was very rich and full @ 4%, and was light enough to squarely place it in the “candy bar” realm. What was interesting with this flavor was the way the Coconut (and Almond) were “melded” into the chocolate. The choco WAS the main player here, and although neither the coconut or almond were OVERTLY present, they were in there. I wouldn’t call it a spot on “Almond Joy” which I had suspected, but it was more of a great candy bar chocolate TEMPERED by a Coconut, with a SLIGHT Almond kiss on the finish. It is, and was a great flavor, and even after 2 testers, I couldn’t fully PULL the coconut out of it, but it’s effect on tempering the chocolate was evident. No greasy or oily notes from the coconut, which when it peeked out, was more of a sweetened flake coconut. The Almond was even more elusive, and could JUST be detected on the finish. If I had to ROUGHLY describe the supporting flavor ratios, I would have to go with Chocolate 60%, Coconut 30%, and Almond 10%, just to give you a ROUGH idea. Nothing off-putting out of place, and it was a tick or two above mid level sweet. Overall it was a very tasty, even keeled, and smooth mix, and I contemplated whether or not it needed more coconut, and almond, but in the end, it felt smoothly balanced as is. No real takeoffs, except for somewhat diminished coconut and almond. Leaving this one @ 9.0/10.

12 Likes

Indo Strawberry 1 (CAP) 4% (1-28-23) – When I received this shipment from Allan at Capella, and saw 2 Indo SB’s it had me curious about the names, and what they actually were. Diving into the Indo 1, I was greeted by a somewhat unique Strawberry. I think that’s REALLY hard to do given the crowded field of SB’s currently available. This was an interesting medley of almost a red, white-ish, with a smidge of green. A green strawberry ?? Hehe, yes, it’s hard to quantify exactly, but that is how it presented. not really a full on juicy, but it had jucy-ness, not overly a ripe, but it had some of those aspects as well. Now even though it was a “little bit of this, and a little bit of that”, overall it worked. The green/white/red nuances stuck with me till the end of the test, so despite it SOUNDING confusing, it did work. It was below mid level sweet, and @ 4% it was somewhat relaxed, and might be able to be pushed a little higher. At the testing weight, it was ALMOST full, but stayed just below that level. If I were FORCED to classify, it would have to be a “fresh” strawberry medley. It presented as very natural with no artificial notes, and no off notes. About the only take offs would be for the relaxed nature of it, BUT, that might be able to be resolved, by increasing the strength. Fresh, with aspects of literally a green, white, and red SB. The finish was the most interesting, as there was just this very NATURAL dab of tartness. VERY natural, and realistic, that really added an extra natural boost at the end. Because it presented to me, more as a medley, rather than a one dimensional distinct SB, the uses would be opened up. Not the strongest, at least at 4%, but somehow Capella managed to squeeze in a lighter, green/white/red strawberry, that was somewhat unique, with a nice slightly tart finish into a crowded field of strawberries. This felt good at 8.9/10.

10 Likes

What does Indo mean?

3 Likes

I’m going to guess Indonesian @natbone, BUT, just a guess.

3 Likes

Thanx SD. Was waiting to read your take on this. I may be somewhat ‘iffy’ on this due to it’s strength. “Relaxed” @4%…to me translates as weak. My issues with strawberries are fairly common and if you note that it can be pushed a bit, that means for me I would have to crank it to like 6-7%. Although it may be do-able as a companion flavor for other strawbs.

4 Likes

I don’t think I ever saw strawberries in SE Asia. @delltrapp

4 Likes

You’re very welcome @TorturedZen. Double check me on the strength brother, my buds could be burnt a bit. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are strawberries here, but just normal ones.

3 Likes

I had them in Philippines on a Christmas day 20 years ago. Two older ladies were selling them out of town under a tree, noone was buying them since not very cheap. I was with my friend and i bought 2x half a kilo. I took two strawberries out and same did my friend and then i gave all back to those two ladies and wished them a Merry Xmas. Those faces they had were unforgettable. One of those memorable moments.

8 Likes

Why did you give them back? Were the strawberries bad or was it just good will on your part to give them money?

3 Likes

It was just that moment. When something special comes to your mind. Great places, great people, my joy being there, had that attention when i saw them from a distance. (i never did something similar before or after). Nothing wrong with those SB, same sort as we have here, but those two strawberries were best strawberries in my life. :smiley:

9 Likes