CBD Vape Recipes - How to dissolve isolate

in my own experiment’s, it is not soluble in max vg and the 70/30 blend is the most I could get away with as I just cannot do PG. it is not real soluble in 80 proof vodka or everclear either as I made some for mom. she said it worked with her pain but also had to rewarm the bottle and shake it until cloudy. if its cloudy, you’re good. if its clear, you’re not good cause that means the powder recrystallized and will have to blend again. this cloudy look goes with eliquid or booze. has to be cloudy

4 Likes

Multiple sources confirm a lack of solubility in Glycerol (VG) solubility, indeed. (Perhaps it is the case that) H2O present in the liquors reduces the solubility of the CBD in solution (as indicated in above graph data).

No experience here. I did some info searching, and found a few things (the chart being most interesting).

3 Likes

have you tried it? if you have not tried it, you should!!:grinning:

3 Likes

Am a THC (flower) smoking fellow. Have tried some ~10% CBD flowers here and there, however. I consider relief from pain/discomfort to be “pleasureful” - definitely a “psychotropic” experience. Most folks like to go on about how it doesn’t “get them high”. I tell them that I empathize with their unfortunate lack of pleasure. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Ok but with mixing, trying to get the crystals to dissolve is a trick. It’s interesting to me how it worked. In my work, I’m not allowed to use dope so this works very well. I guess you don’t mix and that’s ok too

4 Likes

Some fleeting experiences with THC oil vaporization (in State of Washington, which is thankfully a recreational/medical cannabis legal state). Look like the “boiling temps” are relatively low (see here).

3 Likes

Yes this is very interesting.

60mg/ml makes sense, but I wonder how this ratio will be affected once VG is introduced to the recipe.

Also, I have heard of PEG400 being used but not sure the ratio or safety with it

3 Likes

Here is a lengthy document published by the W.H.O. in November of 2017, relating to CBD as well as THC. See (document) Pages 11-13 for a somewhat informative section about some known CBD pharmacology:

3 Likes

I cannot locate any solubility reports for Glycerol (VG). In the worst case, reduced by the proportion of VG ?

I might be inclined to stay far away from PEGs (particularly the higher molecular weight PEG-400, with n~5).

3 Likes

To keep it as simple as possible, dissolve it in PG first with gentle warmth, then add the VG. I’ve worked with this a fair bit and found that the isolate will reform into crystals if the VG/PG is greater than 60/40. At 40% PG the crystals stay dissolved, at least for me they did. At 38% and lower (discovered by accident doing the math wrong) they recrystallized.

The vape mix I use now is 60VG/40PG but I don’t vape this very often and won’t make any more, I prefer to take it orally. Taking the CBD orally, holding it under your tongue, is far more effective for absorption than vaping will be. Also, stay away from PEG, it’s not meant for inhaling.

Stay safe and good luck! :+1:

5 Likes

I for one would not vape PEG.
The recovered wreck of the Mary Rose a timber British warship sunk in 1545, and recovered in 1982 was preserved in a dry dock in a temperature controlled environment in Portsmouth UK, and was kept in a constant mist of PEG, which impregnated the timbers of the wreck as the main preservative.
In this way it was kept until a new museum was built to house it in 2010/11.

2 Likes

I can just see the faces of future archeologists when they dig up a grave and find nothing but a pair of well preserved lungs, wonder what the headlines would be for that :laughing:

4 Likes

Robin whats up …where have u been, everything good ??? Your in NY right ??? What’s the plan ?? Oh you DIY :wink:

2 Likes

To make a 30ml bottle disolve 1.05g of isolate in 21ml of pg using low heat until all crystals are disolved. Add 8ml vg and mix. This will give you roughly a 35mg/ml solution in a 70/30 pg/vg. I’ve found through trial and error that this is the highest amount of isolate in the lowest amount of pg that will form a stable solution. All of my efforts at higher amounts of isolate or lower pg ended up in cbd crystalizing out of the solution. This being said, I prefer to use a tincture myself because it is much easier to produce and use, the extra 30 minutes or so it takes to start working is about how long it takes me to vape an appropriate dose. Good luck!

2 Likes

This is great info, I will test this today. Do you think 50-50 VG-PG would also work?
Or what if I did .5 g instead of 1.05g in same recipe? Maybe this would allow a 50-50 ratio.

2 Likes

50/50 should be fine for 0.5g but you will have to vape double the amount to get the same dose of cbd. That’s the main reason I go to a tincture instead. It takes way too long to vape a full ml, nevermind 2, when you can use it in a tincture and take it orally instead with the only con being the extra 20 minutes or so it takes to metabolize and reap the benefits.

2 Likes

I make all my CBD vape, instead of oil or buying, one reason being cost the other being I don’t like some of the flavours of the oils and vaping it allows me to do it out and about if needed. I did inbox/msg you back @ breadleyb5155 but wanted to add here the following:

The first batch I made was 30ml with 1000mg (1g) dissolved in the smallest amount of PG I could. I started with 30% and spent hours dissolving the isolate. I made the mistake of adding the entire 1g to the estimated PG, it took quite a bit at a time to dissolve with me doing the shake, heat, shake, let sit, heat, shake…over and over until I discovered I had “oversaturated” the PG with isolate and it started to recrystallize. My ratio ended up being 35%PG/65%VG and the I learned if I kept it in the fridge would it would recrystallize in minutes. IF I kept the final solution in what my kid terms “Mum’s Pot Brew Box” it would start to get really cloudy and chunky but I could quickly heat it, shake it and the crystals would dissolve again.

The second batch I made I opted to dissolve .5g into a 15ml bottle and do it slowly, this allowed me to make sure that I had dissolved ALL the isolate first into the PG before I added more isolate or had to increase my PG. This blend resulted in a 30%PG.

A lot of it is trial and error and figuring out what dose you want. 1g in 30ml = 34mg/ml. I wanted to try to make an over 50mg/ml but I have yet to discover a way to to it without increasing the PG side over 50%, I have learned the more PG the harsher the burn on my throat. We each have a preference, I think. I’ve heard that you can use PEG400 but I’ve also read articles that say PEG400 is meant to be absorbed through our lungs. I will also add that I can’t easily get PEG400 where I live, but PG and VG are readily available.

Don’t know if the info I’ve provided helps or confuses but feel free to msg! I’d love to find more people that vape CBD. :slight_smile: Happy brewing!!

3 Likes

Yes this is great info, thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by made the mistake of adding entire 1g? Are you saying you should be adding maybe .1 gram every 10 mins or so into the PG while heating?

Also, are you saying 65VG 35PG will work? Or will this only work in small CBD ratios? I don’t mind going 50-50 if that’s what it takes.

Lastly, any advantage of adding the isolate to a 50-50 ratio of heated PG/VG or just stick to adding to PG first then do the VG second.

2 Likes

Doesn’t work. Have to melt CBD jnto the PG first, mix well and fast, add VG, mix like hell, return to hot water bath for a few minutes then back on the stirrer.

3 Likes

Have to add it to the PG first, dissolve and then add your VG, if you have VG in the mix it prevents the isolate from dissolving.

I dumped the whole 1g of isolate into the bottle, added PG and learned that’s it better to add a bit of isolate to PG to allow it to dissolve faster, dumping the whole lot in made me have to repeat the heat/shake for a few hours until it dissolved.

I don’t think it matters if I add .1g at a time, when I mixed the second batch, I just shook a bit of isolate into the vial holding the PG solution, shook to dissolve, add more isolate etc…I have a scale that I bought on Amazon that measure to the .0001 which makes measure isolate and ingredients SUPER easy.

2 Likes