Check my recipe?

I wonder if some of you experienced mixers can take a look at the recipe I am about to make and just make sure I’m not riding off a cliff.
I’m doing max vg and using my 48 mg nic so that it will provide SOME pg as well as that in the flavors. So it will be somewhere around 82 vg.
Here are my notes:
Trying to make a sweet grown up tobacco caramel flavor.
Not tobacco like I’m smoking, because why would anyone do that?
More like when you taste wine or whiskey they talk about notes of tobacco, honey, etc.
I wouldn’t mind vanilla in here, but I don’t want much and I thought that the “creme” in caramel creme would carry that load.
I might add a cognac to this later, and lower the caramel somewhat, but pump the brakes there tiger!
I also have a straight menthol I’ve already mixed and steeped by itself that I might put in a drop once this is steeped and in my tank.
I am also going to make the same recipe but with apricot in place of the black cherry.

Here are my %'s:
7 leaves ultimate (fa) 3
Black honey (tpa) 4
Caramel creme (lnw) 5
Black cherry (lnw) 2.5
Liquid amber (fa) 2

Thanks In advance, I can’t even imagine how much trial and error had to be involved before this site, you guys are great.

2 Likes

I don’t have experience with tobacco at all so I can’t help you there sorry. I just would like to point out that 48mg/ml is not 48% nic. 48% nic is 480mg/ml I would suggest that you are using 4.8% nic. I know it is a bit nitpicky but It is important to use the correct % especially with nic for those that read after and may not know the difference.

5 Likes

7 leaves is a really nice tobacco, good choice!

2 Likes

@Chef_Johnny I’m in the same boat as @woftam on this one.

1 Like

@Kinnikinnick @50YearsOfCigars @Josephine_van_Rijn usually are my go to mixers when it comes to tobacco…

5 Likes

Only familiar with Black Honey and 4% looks reasonable, strongly suggest you give the mix at least 4 weeks to steep.

4 Likes

Thank you.
I was about to post another question about that because it confuses me, and I will edit to reflect the right number.
And ask that other question later.
I’m trying to figure out how to edit, this shouldn’t take long.

3 Likes

ask away mate

to edit click on the pencil

2 Likes

I figured it out and edited.
As long as we’re there, understand, I get the nic and it says 4.8 and then the recipe, after inputting nicotine from say liquid barn at 48, doesn’t seem to have the decimal point.
Now forgive me because I’m really smart about a lot of things, obviously this not being one of them. If you ever go to one of the forums where I’m really smart I promise ill be nice, and thus far you guys always are, for all 3 days I’ve been here, wink.
But this is something that makes my head spin, if I get 120 ml bottle of nic and it is 4.8 percent, wait, if you take a liter, 1000 ml at 4.8 percent, that should mean that there is 48 ml per…
Oh wait…
I am such an idiot.
I figured out my own math problem.
Dumb ass.
Per cent means per one hundred.
4.8 ml per thousand is 48 mg per one hundred.
Do you know how long that’s been driving me nuts?
Thank you.
Even though you didn’t help me figure that out the last 41 minutes.
You did make me.
And I’m still running through it in my head.
I think I’ve got it.

6 Likes

% is out of 100 and there are 1000mg per ml so 48mg/ml is 4.8% nic

5 Likes

God, 48 ml per 100 ml would be harsh.
Might even kill a brother.

5 Likes

I think it would be most unpleasant and it would certainly make you very sick - not a dr so I dunno about death. But ultimately this is why we need to be right when posting about nic last thing we want is for someone new to make an error.

Back to normal programming sorry for the derail.

6 Likes

Yes.
A milligram is a square foot.
A milliliter is a 10 by 10 room.
A liter is a hotel.

4 Likes

And fortunately you can’t buy nicotine at 48 percent. Well, I know someone who gets it at 100 percent.
But he had to fill out a bunch of paperwork and register with the state to make sure he’s not some kind of weirdo.
He isn’t.
So he takes his nic and mixes it 10 percent with pg, and has 100 mg nic.
And if that’s wrong that’s not what he does.
But I think that’s right.

4 Likes

Yes, this one I is not a shake and vape.
I might sniff it tomorrow and in the days to follow, but I know better than to be disappointed in the nasty junkyard taste that this will deliver before at least 3 weeks.
And oh god, if its good, I’m going to make a pint of it.
Oh sheesh there I go with my imperial measurements I was taught in school.

4 Likes

So I guess, other than my nicotine dalliances and shortcomings, that you all think my recipe sounds delicious?
I’ve already made it, so we’ll see then.

3 Likes

I’ve never had much luck with cherry but if you can get your hands on INW’s Godfather, you could try some of that. It plays very nice with tobacco’s.

3 Likes

For me at least, all that trial and error started after I discovered this site. So many different people with so many different subjective tastes, all the different equipment, … it’s hard to go by just what anybody says, even if they’re experienced mixers.

If you’re vaping 48mg e-liquids, you’re using totally different equipment than I do so even if I’d know the flavors you’re using (I have none besides liquid amber), I still wouldn’t be able to give you any proper advice. Some of the %'s look a bit high to me but again, I can only speak for my own equipment and is probably completely irrelevant to what you’re vaping on.

I still highly recommend testing all those flavors separately and see how they work in your equipment. You should treat making e-liquids exactly the same as creating food recipes. You can’t properly do it without knowing your ingredients and how they interact with each other.
By just taking median mixing values from the site, you may get somewhere but the fine-tuning of the recipe is still a lot of trial and error… You can greatly reduce this time by making different versions with different %'s at once so you’re going to need lots of little bottles.

2 Likes

Hope you have tested each flavor independently prior to assigning percentages. In any case, As to adding/tweaking apricot and cherry, I have found I too, I’m always chasing variations of recipes in order to improve them, this is half the fun.

2 Likes

As @anon28032772 said probably the first thing to know is what will you be using it with?

The other thing is… 7 leaves is way too light, not percentage wise but flavour itself, there again did you SFT it?

The other flavours will overpower it… check Red Burley or Virginia… FLV will do fine.

2 Likes