Check my recipe?

Yes, this one I is not a shake and vape.
I might sniff it tomorrow and in the days to follow, but I know better than to be disappointed in the nasty junkyard taste that this will deliver before at least 3 weeks.
And oh god, if its good, I’m going to make a pint of it.
Oh sheesh there I go with my imperial measurements I was taught in school.

4 Likes

So I guess, other than my nicotine dalliances and shortcomings, that you all think my recipe sounds delicious?
I’ve already made it, so we’ll see then.

3 Likes

I’ve never had much luck with cherry but if you can get your hands on INW’s Godfather, you could try some of that. It plays very nice with tobacco’s.

3 Likes

For me at least, all that trial and error started after I discovered this site. So many different people with so many different subjective tastes, all the different equipment, … it’s hard to go by just what anybody says, even if they’re experienced mixers.

If you’re vaping 48mg e-liquids, you’re using totally different equipment than I do so even if I’d know the flavors you’re using (I have none besides liquid amber), I still wouldn’t be able to give you any proper advice. Some of the %'s look a bit high to me but again, I can only speak for my own equipment and is probably completely irrelevant to what you’re vaping on.

I still highly recommend testing all those flavors separately and see how they work in your equipment. You should treat making e-liquids exactly the same as creating food recipes. You can’t properly do it without knowing your ingredients and how they interact with each other.
By just taking median mixing values from the site, you may get somewhere but the fine-tuning of the recipe is still a lot of trial and error… You can greatly reduce this time by making different versions with different %'s at once so you’re going to need lots of little bottles.

2 Likes

Hope you have tested each flavor independently prior to assigning percentages. In any case, As to adding/tweaking apricot and cherry, I have found I too, I’m always chasing variations of recipes in order to improve them, this is half the fun.

2 Likes

As @anon28032772 said probably the first thing to know is what will you be using it with?

The other thing is… 7 leaves is way too light, not percentage wise but flavour itself, there again did you SFT it?

The other flavours will overpower it… check Red Burley or Virginia… FLV will do fine.

2 Likes

7 leaves, I would leave like that. I would go for at most a third of the rest, except for the black honey which I don’t know

3 Likes

Black Honey is not bad, but definitely not a tobacco, more of an ashy honey… and @4% is definitely too high, but if you want it super sweet…
I agree, most of the percentages would have to be “redesigned” but it’s my point of view…
Caramel INW @5 is also way too high, but again, it’s my point of view, and then, in a POD or an Entheon, or a Sherman… or a Justfog… it depends…

Let’s wait for his final thoughts…

3 Likes

Thanks so much.
That is useful input, very helpful.
I knew when I started that I would make a lot of mistakes, and it looks as if I’m going to make more than I expected.
Maybe ill make a batch without 9 PERCENT sweetness, so that when it gets done steeping and is too sweet, ill have the new version next to it to compare.
Thanks so much for your input guys.

3 Likes

You want my take on sweeteners, don’t use them.
VG already has a sweet feel. There are no sweeteners that do not come with damaging side effects, sucralose is not good for you or your coils, ethyl maltol will prevent you from tasting anything. Would like to try Stevia at some point, probably through flv sweetness but I always forget to order it as I don’t really have a une for it.

5 Likes

Everyone has been very helpful, thank you.
The best advice I got on here is to make the flavors in smaller bottles on their own, and play with them accordingly.
I’ve learned that’s called SFT. Single flavor test.
While at first contemplating, it seemed like a waste of nic and flavor, but after making a few clunkers and having to dump them or add other flavors to make them palatable, it makes more sense.
It requires more bottles, but now I have a bunch of ready to vape flavors that I can mix like I do at work where I chef.
Throwing flavors together doesn’t work the same with these compounds as it does with thyme, basil, chicken stock, mirespoix, and the like…
There’s some flavors that don’t play well with others. Some that fight. Some that cancel others.
Without SFT you don’t even know what you are tasting.
I do have one question, I think I’ll ask it on the forum…

5 Likes

Whats the question ???

2 Likes

SFT’s, after their steep, mix together as a shake and vape more readily than a recipe, right?

3 Likes

Fidalgo, I have to tell you how much I appreciate both your patience and your expertise. You seem to really enjoy helping others improve and you clearly know what you’re doing.
I have one person I’m following thus far, and its you. More will come.
I looked at some of your recipes and they are very complex, most of them.
So I won’t try to jump in the deep end just yet, but want to thank you for coming over to the shallow end to share your craft. I will get better, and I’m guessing that your input will play a significant role in that.
Kudos.

7 Likes

I’ve learned by accident that mixing one recipe into another, which happens when you have 6-8 squonk mods all set up, has always turned about to be pretty good, at least always vapeable. The bottom line I’ve found is I never know what I’ll like until I vape it.

7 Likes

Thank you for the kind words , im flattered and happy to know I could help … :slight_smile:

5 Likes

SFT is just a test, Single Flavor Test, we usually use it to understand a single flavor, e.g. Sweet Strawberry by Capella, its working percentages, e.g. at what percentage you like it (at what point it goes weird :laughing:) what does it do and what can it go with… that’s SFT.
Otherwise we use the terms 10ml, testers or sample, like when you are looking for a precise profile. to understanding better you can look at my “Pink Grapefruit Quest” where you’ll see that to reach a certain profile I wrote about ten recipes that after some thoughts and help from everybody, 4 were eligible to test and I did some samples that went for steeping:

Doing a mix with steeped single flavors it’s not THAT wrong, as long as you do the right maths… (you’ve already got PG/VG inside and they do sum up…)

Anyway bear in mind that even if you use a steeped flavor, you are creating a new “compound” and the molecules inside your mix, will start playing with each other…:rofl: and interact :joy: probably a bit less, but still will do it…

5 Likes

Thank you.
That’s about what I figured, and you’ve confirmed it. There still has to be a melding of compounds to get to the final destination.
I’m at the “still excited yet frustrated” stage.
I’m about to take all the recipes I threw together Willy nilly and put them in a box to get them out of the way (to taste or fix later), keeping handy only my sfts, and start with a bit more of a plan, in order to start making vapable victories one at a time.
I’m going to go to the high rated recipes and read the comments and “reviews” and when I find one that appeals to me, just order the ingredients and make it right. Start with something simple like strawberries and cream, and move to milkshakes and caramels, and instead of trying to master a flavor I’ve dreamed up, copy one BY a master.
I need to hit a couple out of the park to get my mojo back.

3 Likes

mojo…

why not just pick singles that can go together, try them all solo to see where you like… (from low to high) and then make 2 and 3 flavored combos?

Go slow, take notes… :slight_smile:

Sometimes those 5 star multi rated recipes are just not all they are cracked up to be :wink:

4 Likes

Chef_Johnny, are you stil mixing with that huge amount of nic? Or areyou merely trying to confuse people. Lol

2 Likes