Choice Tobaccos for NET

I will update once I get everything in and give it a go.

Here is the rig I ginned up to mix my finished recipes… Don’t see why this can not be scaled up to hold the 1 pint Mason jars. I would think 1 RPM would be more than enough. These syncronous motors run on 60HZ 120V so you could toggle it on and off a time or two in a 24hr period using something like this:

uxcell Output Speed Reduction Geared Box Synchronous Motor
by uxcell
Link: Amazon.com

Hydrofarm TM01715D Water Gardening Digital Timer, 7-Day Dual Outlet
by Hydrofarm
Link: http://a.co/d/dEHJNMX

Actually, I am going to put this project on the '2DO" list. I think it might have merit. As it is now, I walk by the closet once a week when the mood strikes and hand shake the jars. I know @Kinnikinnick does the same,… Humm, the motors are only $12 and I already have several of those timers kicking around.

-:grinning:

2 Likes

Just wanted to give a quick update. My order from Leaf Only arrived today:

Since I never got around to testing the coffee grinder, I just went full steam ahead… to failure. It wouldn’t catch the leaf chunks that I cut up and threw in there. No big deal, now I can make some fresh ass coffee.

Had another idea pop in my head the other day when I was making smoothies. I cut the tobacco up in to some more manageable pieces:

Then I threw them in my Magic Bullet with 150g of PG and blended it all up:

So far it seems to stay in suspension fine. A little worried about how long it is going to take to get the initial separation of the tobacco done since it’s probably going to squeeze right through my ricer. Have a couple ideas kicking around in my head, but that seems more like a problem that future me is going to have to deal with. Damn, I give that guy a hard time a lot.

1 Like

One of these looks like just the thing. :sunglasses:

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Premium-Food-Grade-Almond/dp/B00158U8DU

3 Likes

Aaaaaand bought. Update in ~3 months!

1 Like

Good choice ! I do the same and chop to particle size 3~4mm on a side. I use one of these with excellent results:

Ninja QB900B Master Prep Quad-Blade 400W Blender Mixer  Food Processor

Ninja QB900B Master Prep Quad-Blade 400W Blender Mixer & Food Processor

Link: Amazon.com

It’s only $35 bucks on Amazon and has a zillion other uses throughout the house. Best $35 I every spent. I am happy to see you didn’t go the fine powder coffee grind route, I really don’t think that would have been very successful, but you never know. Some day you might try a test jar of that method.

I am more and more a big fan of Ultra-Sonic to break the cell walls and speed the extraction. My next step for that jar you have there would be a 10 hour bath at 125F iwth 30 mins ON and 30 mins OFF in on of these:

iSonic P4810+BHK01A Commercial Ultrasonic Cleaner w/ Beaker Holder Set for DIY Liposomal Vitamin C by iSonic

iSonic P4810+BHK01A Commercial Ultrasonic Cleaner w/ Beaker Holder Set for DIY Liposomal Vitamin C
by iSonic
Link: http://a.co/d/edYxKL1

You can see that 4 pint Mason Jars fit perfectly on the tray This makes for a very efficient process. Every month I fire up the unit and run how ever many jars I have in process for a “monthly bump”, which need only be only 4 hours, not the original 10:

jars

Please note that the mechanical action of the Ultra Sonic energy turns the cell wall into a translucent material, with much more porosity than how Mother Nature originally designed it. :slight_smile:

maceration

For a discussuion about extraction techniques using Ultra Sonic on a commercial scale see this manufacturer of Ultra Sonic gear: - I am scaling down this commercial method to kitchen levels with great success. Link follows here:

6 Likes

OK here is my latest discovery: Tabac Manil

Manil

Use Case: If you are looking for a fast extracting minimally processed or pure leaf that will give you a vape that is as close to Cuban Cigar flavor profiles as you can get. Use as an ADV Cigar Vape or will serve you well as a Blender to add Cigar Flavor to various Hybrids.

Pros and Cons: The Pros are that this is a minimally processed pure leaf with, as a bonus, a fascinating historical background. It is a hand made boutique tobacco that is quite rare, so you get bragging rights that your are not extracting vin ordinare ! There are really no cons. This is a fast extracting tobacco, I used a 12hr Ultra-Sonic Bump Start of 28g/150ml PG and got excellent results immediately. I think a 3 to 6 month extended jar time will just make the extract better and better.

Credits: I want to thank @Kinnikinnick for turning me on to this one. He has a way of unearthing really special finds, and this one is at the top of his achievements.

Here is some fascinating information about this amazing boutique tobacco and a great read if you have a few minutes:

4 Likes

Reporting on:
G.L. Pease ~ Haddo’s Delight

Here’s the vendor/sales write up:

Black Cavendish
Burley
Perique
Virginia
(Aromatic)

“Haddo’s Delight is a stout blend of several Virginia tobaccos with a generous measure of long-cut Perique. Unflavored Green River black Cavendish and a little air-cured white Burley ribbon provide fullness, body, and a bit of extra strength. Finally, an exclusive process darkens and marries the mixture, and gives the blend a subtle tin aroma of cocoa and dried fruit. The flavor is full on the palate, earthy, slightly sweet and intriguingly piquant, with overtones of figs and raisins. A wonderful blend for the Perique lover!”

My take… the above description pretty much says it all. This is a Perique lovers extraction! And IMO, if you like Va/Per blends in the least, you’re going to love this tobacco.

Back in the day, when I was mixing synth concentrates, I found my favorite mixes leaning towards a slightly sweet and hearty tobacco, with a rum and/or fig note. Since there was no concentrate on the market which provided a palitable raisin note, I was always out of luck in that department. Haddo’s Delight ticks all the boxes. As of late, a tobacco blend which carried any flavor other than straight up tobacco, was not held in high regards. This G.L. Pease blend breaks my cycle of Plain Jane tobacco blends. Delish!

As per usual… my maceration technique was a straight PG solvent, heat bumped at 125*F for 8hrs, cool steeped for around 4 months, and filtered down to 2.5 microns.

I don’t see this tobacco disappearing any time soon, but it might be worth throwing a tin on your next order for your cellared stock.

G. L. Pease Haddo’s Delight 2oz | Buy G. L. Pease Pipe Tobacco at Smokingpipes

5 Likes

For Tobacco NET’s I have always gone local to support the businesses around the area. I have the following that I love and hold dear:

Buckies Blend = a very basic, but lush dark earthy pipe blend
Raspberry Dream = It is a raspberry cream that is just to die for right out of the maturation process and a 7 month steep. I added some other flavorings for a pipe mix that does not stay long in my house. I have to hide it from myself, lol.
Rum River = Definitely a Rum pipe and is hitting my sweet spots for tobaccos. Added a Jamaican Rum flavor to give it that smoother Rum taste and it is a dream.
Dark Cherry = This is my go to for pipe blends. I have always enjoyed a bourbon or coffee and a cherry pipe when I was in the Navy. It reminds me of the good/hard times and where I have come from.

With those blends I have added other flavors to tweak the tobaccos. I am currently working on a coffee pipe tobacco and will let you all know the results. The two other unicorns are the Butterscotch and Butter Rum blends currently steeping.

The oddest yet most satisfying blend I have made to date is adding Honeysuckle and Hibiscus to a natural pipe blend. It was unique and quite flavorful.

4 Likes

That might be me ! Not sure, but perhaps the interesting flavor that Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake (No. 403) produces is a result of the Perique-processed content. Not being familiar with these kinds of things, the fact that “Cavendish” and “Perique” appear to be particular processes (rather than being about specific tobacco “strains” themselves) makes trying to analyze (by other than taste tasting) hard. Surely, my Virginia blends (Windsail Regular and C&D Red Virginia Ribbon) do benefit from a bit of the Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye (at between 25% and 33% of the latter relative to the Virginia extracts).

Later in my vaping day, perhaps due to being pummeled with the PG that compromises nearly all of the inhaled vapor content (if/when coil-temps are below the boiling-points of Nicotine and VG), my chemo-receptors can feel “dry and dulled” (to most flavors). Popping just a drop or two of PS Lux BE extract into the atomizers surely spices things up. I probably need a “morning” as well as a “night” flavor mix.

2 Likes

The forum net-nanny-bot has (since I last posted) taken to rejecting edited posts intended to correct typographical errors, declaring: “Body is too similar to what you recently posted”. This seems “nutty”.

2 Likes

It is a software glitch not much we can do about it until it is fixed and updated - there is a thread about it

2 Likes

Just made a successful (minor) post edit - and it went through and posted OK ! Good news, it seems ?

3 Likes

I get the feeling that while something around 30 days time of cool-steeping (following your ~8 Hour warming-phase performed) is a minimum, that (even significantly) longer cool-steeping times is not a negative ? Having some stock to vape now, I may try extending the cool-steeping time of ~200 ml of in-process C&D Red Virginia Ribbon (where I’m trying out a 67% PG, 33% VG solvent), out of curiosity. Perhaps more complex flavored and/or pressed tobacco blends might warrant the longest times ?

2 Likes

Not at all. :wink: I see it as just giving the tobacco flavors longer to leach out of the leaf into your solvent. Once you start building up a stock of extract, it’s easier to let the newer macerations just sit for months on end.

5 Likes

Good to know your experiences/impressions regarding that. It makes sense, in terms of extraction.

Am looking into one potential issue surrounding that (not a simple picture). It looks like there may be specific reasons to reduce final filtering pore-size to no more than 2 Microns (with no leakage). The issue cannot be disposed of by exposure to (even very) low temperatures, or by high temperature exposure at temperatures that are less than ~70 *C (158 *F), either. This is problematic, because:

Time-frames involved are not lengthy (compared to a 30-day process). Problem increases over time, and is ubiquitous environmentally. (Finalized) extract storage at lower temperatures might be indicated. Will research what I can carefully, and try to consult those who know more than I do about the subject.

3 Likes

As far as high temps at extended initial heat bumps, I tried a few of those experiments myself. Here I can say that high heat for extended times is a disaster to a NET extraction. I keep extensive lab notes. Here is a cut and paste of some of my notes related to this:

You can see from the above that all kinds of experiments can be performed. You will gain a lot of valuable information from this. Keep accurate notes.

OK Have Fun ! -:grinning:

5 Likes

So, @50YearsOfCigars… What do you think went wrong with your extraction on G&H Black Twist Sliced? :thinking:

For me, this is one of those tobaccos which only cool steeped for 30 days after a heat assist start @ +/-125* F… it resulted in a quite palitable extract. I had a feeling, seeing as how the tobacco was super dark and fragrant prior to maceration, that it wasn’t going to take long for it to come to fruition in the steep jar; just a hunch.

Perhaps it is one of those tobaccos which doesn’t benefit from a super long steep time. :thinking: And just might be one which doesn’t need a heat assist start at all… rather, just stick it in a jar to cool steep with a shake every now and then?

2 Likes

Well I think it was the 8hrs at 130F that killed it !

The reason I say is that both you and I extracted it “normally” and got a good vabable result. Follows here is my tasting notes from your sample, and these match my notes from my 'regular extraction. So there was something in that blend that reacted with the long heat cycle and caused some component of the mixture to completly take over and dominate the extract in a very bad way.

This points to the fact that all blends will react differently to excessive heat cycle, and we should probably be very careful to make a blanket statement that “all excessive heat cycle processes are always BAD”… there will always be an exception to any rule - some tobacco samples might do quite well with that technique, but it is worth noting that I have not found that “exception”, so in the face of that experiece, I will call it a rule.

If you extract it “normally” you get this 4 out of 5 star rating:
black-twist

3 Likes

I would say that should stand as a “rule”… and I HATE RULES! :rage:

This issue got me to thinking today, as I’m in the midst of a maceration:

Seattle Pipe Club ~ Potlatch

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9706/seattle-pipe-club-potlatch

This blend has a smattering of Cyprian Latakia thrown in to the mix. I’ve found out over time pretty much any Latakia can overpower the other leaf in a big hurry. In giving this blend a whiff in the can, my gut tells me to reduce my heat assist start time by 1/2, lest it yield an extract which is overwhelming in the Latakia department. Thus, this maceration will heat for 4hrs @ 125*F, cool steep for 30 days, and be tested at that time for punchiness. Hopefully, my gut is right. :sunglasses:

P.S. ~ I’m not a fan of the Suttlif Tobacco Co., since I’ve had a few complete NET failures using their tobacco… but, I’m going off the words and reviews of others relating to this blend… perhaps, I won’t be disappointed in the end. :smirk: We shall see.

2 Likes