Close call last night

An F3 tornado passed about 1 mile from my home at about 1am CST. No damage was done to me, but I was scared sh@tless! That was the worst experience of my entire life! I can’t get the sound of that tornado out of my head… I’m still a bit shaken.

25 Likes

Glad you’re okay.

17 Likes

So happy you’re okay!!!

13 Likes

Always wanted to see one. Glad you got missed!!!

13 Likes

Happy you’re OK. That must have been terrifying to wake to. Just seeing some pictures of the devastation now. Wow. Just wow…

12 Likes

Glad you were spared! That’s a part for life for me, @Sprkslfly, and the rest of us living in Tornado Alley. Last close call I remember was the Good Friday tornado that hit the STL airport. It was about 3 miles to my south as it headed in to the city. I personally love that sort of thing, but it’s definitely humbling to see the force of nature’s fury. Last year we drove through Jefferson City a couple days after the tornado tore through there, and the devastation is hard to fathom, even through news photos.

So, being a mile away, you probably had some pretty intense action there in the bear cage. Hopefully you didn’t have any damage.

12 Likes

I was in school in Lenexa in the spring time with a bunch of other Michiganders for a couple of months. Every time the sirens would go off we would run out on the balcony while everybody else ran for the basement. Never did see one.

10 Likes

I would be there with you. It drives my wife crazy. She cowers deep in the bowels of the basement while I stand on the porch taunting the clouds.

11 Likes

I just saw the death toll is at 19. Glad you’re ok. This will be devastating for so many for so long !

10 Likes

Very glad your O.K. @Pro_Vapes.

10 Likes

Been through plenty on earthquakes here in California so I know how scary nature’s fury can get.

Happy to hear your ok and missed the path, can’t even imagine it.

11 Likes

I’m glad that you’re ok, @Pro_Vapes .

9 Likes

Glad you and yours were out of its path! :innocent:

Yes… having a force like that anywhere near you is something of which you will never forget. I survived a F3 inside the theatre complex a few years back; almost direct hit. Not fun times! When a fortified, concrete/steel, huge ass, city building shakes on it’s foundation… it’s a sphincter tightening moment! :grimacing:

10 Likes

I often think about that when people are bragging about how much power they have.
We have nothing that can stand against the power of nature.

I always loved watching thunderstorms as a kid and was severely disappointed that we didn’t get tornadoes here.
The disappointment has disappeared with age and I’m sure glad it passed you by @Pro_Vapes :hugs:

10 Likes

So thankful you are alright. Thoughts and good wishes going out to all those that were affected and hurt :cry:

6 Likes

I was in Wichita Falls in 76, in a motel with my girlfriend, when a tornado hit the area. I don’t know how close it was, I think it was a fair distance away, but it scared the snot out of me. I never want to go through that again.

6 Likes

That is basically my worst nightmare come true. :pleading_face: I’m glad you’re okay. :hugs:

6 Likes

I’ve seen two and I’ll gladly take an earthquake over a tornado any day of the week. First one was back in 1991 while I was moving back to Cali from PA. I was literally chased out of Iowa by a twister, driving an absolutely gutless Mazda 323 that would barely break 65 with a tailwind. Crossed the Nebraska state line doing 90 and to this day I’m positive that it was the wind, not my foot, that got us moving that fast!

Second one was while visiting a friend in eastern Pennsylvania. We were sitting in a strip-mall restaurant(Chili’s? Red Robin? Flinger’s?) When another patron yelled, “ohmigaaawd! A tornado!” Then I proceeded to watch everyone RUN to the large plate glass windows to oogle the whirling finger of death head straight for us. Thankfully we were on a hillcrest and the small twister disappeared back into the clouds before it got to us.

6 Likes

Glad you were missed! Those things are freaking TERRIFYING!

6 Likes

I’ve heard it said that a tornado sounds like a freight train approaching. Is that true?

6 Likes