Coconut flavours taste like chemical paint stripper

I’ve been scared off of honeys due to a few bad experiences. I may have to delve back into the frey …:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I hear ya. My weird (bad experiences) Off notes I get from some flavors are cardboard and the Bail of Hay taste :sunglasses: Their Honey sits perfect for me without any off-notes.

3 Likes

Can I ask, are you on any medications? Is there anything else you can add to the list besides coconut? Are you on any kind of supplements, or anything else?

It could come genetically too… that certain types of foods or taste can be damaged too. Did you go too high on coconut when you tried to mix with it?

Lots of things can happen to the way we all interpret a flavoring… even coded into dna…

You can keep trying… it might change… but then again… it might never happen. You won’t know till you can try…

Funny you should get “Pine berry” @SmilingOgre… Alpine is just that… a pine berry strawberry… I take it you are super sensitive to it… :frowning: How high did you use it at first? I have someone that uses Alpine at 1 drop per 4oz… while I use it at 2 drops maybe 3 sometimes in 30ml, spiked with reg strawberry at .6%-.8% sometimes eve 1%… and find it’s delish that way… it’s all related to how our body chemistry it… how our taste buds function, and how we maintain ourselves. (the way my boss tells me, it can get crazy!)

I’d suggest something like milk & honey at first, SD… and use it really low… .2% to .4% and see what you think…

3 Likes

Now Milk and Honey, I can, and have used with no issue. I’ve tried other honeys even at diluted ratios still with no success.

4 Likes

https://theecigshop.uk does delosi, but they don’t have the coconut :frowning:
Feel free to ask them about it, some shops do take requests.

3 Likes

Have you tried honey bee, SD… it’s the same honey that is in milk and honey… Milk and honey is a combo of yeps… solos milk and honey… just in a different composition.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much where I’m headed. I grew up in Northern Michigan and we had 40 acres of pine, lol. Obviously, the name was a hint but yes, I sensed pine right away. My first attempt was using it as a stand alone strawberry (as apposed to a stone) in a mix that used Strawberry as the primary flavor. I used 3%. Major OoooPs, lol. I was thinking, holy crap the need to change the name up to Strawberry All Pine.

6 Likes

I find that .2 alpine is actually ok, not for fresh strawberry but as a dry nearly candied strawberry flavour with some floral character, probably with a slightly tart or sour cream, like a decent cheesecake.

I can see 3% being well unpleasant.

5 Likes

You are sooo brave lol… yeah no… you might want to wait some time… before messing with any strawberries or raspberries… maybe 3-6 months… and see it that won’t reset you, Ogre… gee I am so sorry… :frowning:

@SuperFrog… I can not even handle .2%… mine is a set .12% and that is only 3 bottle drops per 30ml… sometimes it’s only 2 drops… I am super careful on the alpine, rich cinnamon, ginger, clove “ishes…” as I know first hand they can screw my taste buds slap up…

2 Likes

Lol, thanks @anon84779643. I’m fine. No long term damage. I’ve been living with my sense of taste a pretty full lifetime now and getting pretty good at performing a full reset. When I first started DYI I picked up on the fact that my taste experience was not that of the folks that are making the published recipes. I have to tweek everything. That is a “just is”.

4 Likes

Not at this time.

2 Likes

They ship anywhere in the world!!! Most US places won’t. Have you tried any other of their flavors…might as well make it worth the shipping cost.

2 Likes

Just saw your notes…thanks.

2 Likes

@natbone Some were ok, other were ehhhh. The watermelon, coconut, and SB milk were the standouts …

2 Likes

I’ve always tested untried strawberry flavors using Fizzmustard’s perennial Mustard Milk recipe as my template. To me it is a better gauge of a flavor than doing a standalone test. With Alpine I knew enough to dial it waaay down, counter to the VBIC. My normally small samples all tasted like the swamp-ass you get after a 500 mile bike run. :face_vomiting::nauseated_face:

And once you’ve tasted Alpine IMO, it is forever ingrained in memory. So even after working up to a 30ml last ditch effort (I REALLY wanted to like this flavor) a single drop proved just as nasty! To this day I’m unsure if it was a bad batch, but I’m not willing to shell out the money to prove or disprove that theory.

5 Likes

Made 10ml of Coconut Candy (DX) Perfumer’s Apprentice Flavour Concentrate, using 1ml concentrate and 9ml PG/VG. Tastes awful exactly what I tasted in Castle Long and Vamp Vape, so yea its the coconut, although this is diketone free.
Going to order some Delosi Coconut and see if I can actually taste coconut.

3 Likes

Also found a company in the UK that has no acetyl propionyl, diacetyl and DEG in thier products…

https://decadentvapours.com/about-decadent-vapours-e-liquids/

3 Likes

I doubt anyone would really like 10% of Coconut Candy TFA. First thing you can do is to strongly reduce the percentage of your flavorings,.especially if you have issues with that particular flavor. Try it at 1% and go stronger later if needed (also note that CC TFA is not really that great coconut for solo vaping; but it can be helpful for building a desired coconut flavor in your mix)

Check averages used:
**Single flavor recommendations: **
Average quantity: 1.6% (Median: 1.0%)
Minimum used quantity: 0.2%
Maximum used quantity: 5.0%

4 Likes

Ok
I’ll do that,
Thanks

1 Like

I have a theory that flavors that taste like paint thinner or nail polish are just old flavors that have turned bad, expired.

I bought a bottle of Pineapple MF that was pure nail polish, even at 1 drop in 15ml. I know they couldn’t sell any of that flavor if it smelled and tasted like that.

4 Likes