Coil Building Show Offs (Part II)

I don’t really time myself but anything staggered needs a bit of time and carefulness. It’s easy to make a pile of alien coils in a few hours. Those are simple to me now. Multi core SFC coils have been my jam since I started trying them. I just started learning about them a few months ago. Awesome flavor. There’s a ton of variations that can be made. Number of cores, what to use on the outside, metal type… All those things can vary.

3 Likes

I somehow forgot my routine for the SFC coils above. I tried to make twice and screwed up about 8 to 10 sticks. Like I said before it’s really easy to mess them up. Any change to a successful routine can have bad results. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong while thinking about it in bed.

I’ve been making them a lot better since I adjusted but those two days were maddening. I don’t know what the big shot instagram people call photos of inside the coils, but I tried to take a couple.

I need a better camera or lens to get in closer.

9 Likes

Made more of the coils I keep talking about.

8 Likes

Not as fancy as some, but I am pretty chuffed with how this juggernaut turned out! Lessons learned for next time include not rushing the final wrap!

7 Likes

Beautiful! Good job!

5 Likes

Even more beautiful …

5 Likes

Well next time came around! And then it went around again, and again and… you get the idea :smiley:

Anywho!

Ahhh, it was almost a shame to vape on it!

…almost

And ahhh, she vapes even better than she looks!

SS316L 26g core with 36g for the Clapton. Anyone who says this style of coil isn’t worth the extra effort is taste-blind!

7 Likes

So this thread has me wondering what im doing wrong with coils. I have been sticking to plain old kanthal or SS single wire coils. When ever I have bought Clapton or alien or whatever fancy coil they just spit like crazy. Really bad vapor. And almost zero flavor. Tried all sorts of wattage and coil types. Always have to go back to the plain old normal coils. Any ideas?

5 Likes

Check your wicking. If your RDA has pockets thin out the tails and make sure the cotton is tight in the coil yet can still slide back and forth. Vape on the low wattage side for the ohms and work up till you reach your desired temperature you enjoy.
I get spitting when I’m vaping too hot for coil.

6 Likes

What rc said above, but also the quality of the coils can make a big difference too. I haven’t really bought any premade wires or coils since I first started making them, and I tried a few of them cheapo coil sets where you get 4 aliens, 4 claptons, 4 whatever twisted metal they had on hand, etc, just to give me an idea, and I ended up binning the lot.

So yeah, cannot recommend where to go, but certainly Amazon trash is just that, trash.

3 Likes

Ahh you know come to think of it when I was testing other coils I did have my wattage at like 60 and only tested up from there. I thought they weren’t getting hot enough quick enough so they were spitting. Maybe I did just have it way to high. How low should I start on them? I guess I made the mistake of thinking a larger coil would need more watts to heat up good. Not to say it couldn’t be wicking too but I feel like that is the one thing I have finally gotten down after 10 months of RDA lol. Well that and wrapping regular coils lol.

3 Likes

Depends on the ohms of the coils you are using. ie: I like to use SS coils and vape bakery so I build to be in the .2 to .16 ohm range. I burn them in at 25 watts. With new cotton I’ll start to vape at 35 watts. If it’s too weak I’ll move up to 40 then to 45 and up to 55 watts. As the cotton ages I’ll be in the upper range. I got one RDA at .6 ohms that spits at 25 watts. Haven’t figured it out yet. I think I have too much juice in the well after squonking.

4 Likes

Cool cool I’ll have to give them another shot with lower wattage and see what happens. Thanks for the advice!

4 Likes

Well I started building my own coils to save a few pennies, and now I’ve redesigned part of my kitchen around it!

Maybe I should just go back to buying them?

Nah!

10 Likes

SFC’s are my favorite coils. The variations to make seem endless. My favorite dual coils in an Apocalypse 25:

I wanted to see how thin of a wire I could stagger one day so I tried 42 on 3x27ga cores. Turns out those coils were amazing on my mech mod. I’ve used 38 and 40 as well but 42ga basically has no ramp. They’re not easy to make cleanly (consistently) though.

I’ve found a few others that work great as single coils on mech mods as well.

10 Likes

What wire is that? Ni80 ? Looks lovely and shiny in these shots!

4 Likes

Yeah N80. It’s what I personally like best. I’ve been spinning for over a year now and have picked up lots of different sizes and types. I usually load up during different sales.

4 Likes

I made a coil for my new Talo x RDA but I don’t think it’s gonna fit.

Just messin’ :grin:. I just made it for fun. It might 've usable in one of those jumbo 40mm RDAs. I dunno. It’s supposed to read around .07 or .10Ω. The thing is just absurdly large. Check it out next to a regular (3mm ID) coil I might use:

Specs: 3x20KA1/34SS316L SFC
I posted on Reddit: Yes I’ve seen the huge alien coils people have made. Some people have made super industrial sized coils that’d make mine look like a baby :laughing:.

9 Likes

Heh! To be fair, before I started to build them myself, that is how large I imagined some of the coils!

4 Likes

I do have to agree about SFC being ace! I just cannot stop making them now. Ran out of 36g while learning to get this far, but have loads (and I mean loads) of ribbon, so why not?

28g wrapped in 3 x 1 ribbon, fused with 38g SS316L, ID 3

She vapes lovely, and comes in at 0.24ohm. I need to pack it in with the UV light, but she looked too janky for natural light heh.

8 Likes