Coil Building Show Offs (Part II)

Oh ya those are fun to work with though they don’t hold up for daily use. Nice job on the staple coils though. I used to use SS 26g x2 with 4mm flat and 40g outer for framed staples. Though I don’t use them much anymore. I used to love doing artistic coils though they aren’t really good for daily vapes. My favorite was the staggered corrugated frame staple, it was a beautiful coil, but a pain in the butt to build.
12 hours of work for 2 coils :exploding_head: I’ll never do that again. Lol

10 Likes

Of course. Although, the Mikevapes videos I suggested earlier could be more instructive. Especially as we may not have decks which overlap. But, going through a few postless RDAs will cover the basics. And, I’ll happily explain all my choices with their reasons.

5 Likes

Are you looking to learn how to make your own coils? I learned from one of the masters the dude himself. His instructional videos are on YT under the Art of Vaping. https://youtube.com/watch?v=WE-S9dviEkc&si=7d-Go53ABme0b6HU

7 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I would LOVE to, but it I spent hours crafting “Mega Coil” I probably wouldn’t want to dirty it up after all that work !!!

6 Likes

I can believe that @McDuckie.

2 Likes

Oddly the Fates, lovely girls, have chosen you as our grand tester. An Imperial post but to be delivered in a Communist fashion. We can never choose such things - they are just handed to us.

4 Likes

@McDuckie, that may be one of the BEST coiling vids I’ve ever seen …

4 Likes

Well he is the original creator of the staple coil. He’s also a super helpful and friendly guy.

6 Likes

Thanks for the vid @McDuckie. That dude has talent!

I hope to get past the plain jane solid wire first. These dudes are Artists like Mr. Smash said earlier!!

Now a coil building party would be pretty awesome too! Who’s hosting?! I got the beer covered!!

4 Likes

I have heard some coil builders say that these large fancy coils are more for show and are neither practical or vape particularly well. I have to take my hat off though for the skills required to be able to make such intricate works of art and they are fascinating and beautiful to look at.

5 Likes

If you are interested message me. You can come over and we’ll get you started. I’m almost always home.

4 Likes

PM inbound.

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch :grin:. I’ve been spinning for a few years now. I challenge myself often and going microscopic is kind of my thing. I use smaller sizes on purpose a lot. It makes using more normal sized wires seem like a piece of cake. I had no idea that I’d be able to make some of the stuff I have. I thought that people who made fancy wires used some kind of magic or something. Nope, it’s just experience, imagination, and whatever else. I always tell people that steady hands and good vision are major assets. Being meticulous about your routine and preparation also helps a bunch. Some people seem to be able to pick up on things a bit quicker than others. I’m a little late to the game (Started in 2020), but have progressed pretty nicely :laughing:.

8 Likes

A lot of styles are definitely for show. Some of the fancier looking coil types can vape pretty nice though. I’ve never cared for Tsuka aliens, Mohawks, or stuff like that. There’s plenty of others that are just inefficient IMO. I’ve tried a lot of different styles in various different sizes etc. For me, there’s nothing better than finely tuned stags. There’s a million ways to make em though so not all of them are gonna vape great.

The coils I have in most of my dragons right now are SFC’s. One of my favorites is in these specs: N80 4x32/42ga, 5-wraps, 3mm ID, @ 50 to 55W. They don’t look simple, but they don’t look overly complex either. Staggering with 42ga isn’t common but I love it. It’s not the easiest to master (Pretty thin and easy to screw up), but I’ve had plenty of practice with it.

8 Likes

If that isn’t an understatement, i dunno what is :laughing:

5 Likes

I expect that plays a big part in why they work so efficiently for you and at a sensible wattage. I have seen so many of these coils with a thicker gauge wire used for the outer wraps and they just don’t work as well due to the high mass and when using on a normal device, it’s exasperated even more so when trying to use in a dual coil build.

4 Likes

I forgot to post a reply on this comment. That’s a crazy build. I’ve only tried more than 2 pieces of wavy ribbon in one of those a couple of times. It’s not easy keeping everything tamed. Good job on that :+1:. I can do regular corrugated SSFC’s quicker than I used to. It’s awesome when I can find shortcuts or simplify things.

4 Likes

Yeah, I used to use bigger wires because everyone else seems to. After a bunch of experimentation, I figured out that I prefer thin/responsive wires. I can’t believe people are still using stuff like 2x24/32ga fused clapton wire, but they probably are.

6 Likes

While not running exotics, I am in the same boat. IMO, sometimes LESS is MORE. Less MASS that is.

4 Likes

@SessionDrummer @INOIROC I do not build my own coils very often and when I do it’s very basic round SS wire 26g and they seem to work pretty good. I mostly buy pre built coils from coil clout and I did fall into the bigger is better not knowing what I was doing or ordering, so I got some Fralien 30G coils and could never figure out why they weren’t working as well as some of the cheaper fused claptons I’ve purchased in the past and even my own plain SS wire coils. I still do not understand the workings of the different coils and builds and how each affects my vaping experience. The purpose behind me saying all this is to get your input on what I should be using as far as pre-built coils as I do not have much free time to make my own.
Thank you in advance for any help or input you can give.

5 Likes