Coil Building Show Offs (Part II)

@TimWV WOW, that’s a loaded question. Hehe, well, kinda.

I can’t speak firsthand to the glorious benefits of the exotic coils, BUT, we can still talk. Larger, more complex coils typically have much more SURFACE AREA. Now to many people that automatically means MO MO MO right ?? MO this, MO that. Well, MAYBE. If surface area WAS the only game in town, THEN, you, I, and many, many other people would NOT have great results with single wire coils, right ?? I think more surface area CAN help, but it’s NOT the silver bullet. It can get to the point, where there is literally SOO much wire mass, that trying to heat the damn things up, and KEEP them heated, is a real PITA. You can run parallels to try and drop the resistance, but every time you do, you add MO mass.

The one thing that I think often times gets overlooked is the AIR. Where is the air hitting the coils ?? Lower sides and bottom ALWAYS give me the BEST, saturate flavor. Tanks are my style, so I can’t speak to RDA’s indepth, except for maybe the Elder Dragon, hehe, and THAT little sucker is a FLAVA MONSTA. Single coil at that, and it is a flavor chucking monster. Some tanks just plain SUCK. No coil, or airflow can fix them. More often then not, tanks that pull from top airflow (nder the guise of no leaks) always seem to sacrifice some flavor. There are a few exceptions, but typically my best performers are bottom air flow, and YES, some of them can leak, some will ALWAYS leak if you put them on their sides, BUT, flava rules the day for me.

Different coils are going to require different amounts of power, ramp time, etc., so there’s no one setting for all of them. The fact that you tasted a big difference in the frailiens vs. your cheaper claps, or single wires, is VERY telling. I would be curious what wattages you were using for them, and how/where the air was hitting all of them.

4 Likes

Ultimately Tim, you have to look PAST all of the shiny bling, the hype, and the raza-ma-taz, and once you find a coil, or coil type that just works for you, roll with it. Maybe if I had the time, and patience to MAKE some exotics, maybe I’d use them more, but not sure. I love how they look in hi res pics, but performance wise, I always go back to the simple coils. I’ve had the same exact luck regarding tank SIZE. As the tanks (most notably SteamCrave) got bigger, and bigger, I kept buying them, expecting more and more, well, EVERYTHING, but after a certain point, the gains didn’t really present, and they were just these big ass, huge tanks, than I never really used.

6 Likes

@SessionDrummer 65W is my standard, with the Fraliens I have bumped that up to 70W, I run all dual coil setups. I have 2 top air flow RTA’s both are Geek Vape Zeus and actually work very well for me (both have the cheaper smaller Fused Clapton’s). I use HellVape 3 RDA’s (LOVE Them!) on 2 of my squonks and Asgard Mini’s on the other 2 squonks. I have the SC Aromamizer Plus (30mm) on my Hadron, and I have Aromamizer Supreme on another. The larger SC RTA does not seem to give as good flavor as the smaller Supreme and I am very pleased with it. I have two Voltrove 25mm (thank you for suggesting them by the way) on 2 other mods and I think they (for me) produce the best flavor and clouds, I am running the smaller Fused Claptons on them as well.

6 Likes

I have experimented with all different types of coils and configurations, and after testing all of the different types of coils, different OD sizes, metals (Kanthal, Nichrome, SS, Nickel, and Titanium) I settled on simple dual core SS fused clapton’s with 2.5 id I use them in almost everything. I’ve made and used Alien clapton’s and yes they were more difficult to make, but for me they are just as good for flavor as regular fused clapton’s. When it came to larger surface coils such as Framed Staples, Staples, Fraliens, I felt that when coils have a larger surface area they do tend to take more voltage to ramp them up, and they perform better with larger high wattage devices. So a lot of factors can go into your coil choice, everything from wattage to metal choice and size can make a huge difference in performance. For MTL I think that single wire builds are probably best as most MTL units run very low wattage 10-25w at a range closer to 1 ohm and the use of single wire helps increase the ramp up time on a lower wattage unit. If someone likes MTL building I would suggest trying to build with single Titanium wire as it has the absolute cleanest flavor of all the metals.

5 Likes

While I’m mainly a straight SS fused clapton guy (316 and 430) I do use Titanium in my BB’s and mtl setups alot. You’ll be hard pressed to build even a 0.5Ω coil. IMHO Titanium should only be used by a seasoned vaper and should (not must) be used in TC.

Nickel - soft, deforms easily. Should be annealed after building so it doesn’t deform
Titanium - quite hard and if you give it too much power the center can deform/crater.
I sorta learned 2 things 8 years ago (ELR - SuperX and mactavish) when coil building.
Turn the tool not the wire.
Tension while building.

6 Likes

This coil probably doesn’t have much “Wow” factor compared to others I’ve made. It sure does vape fantastic though. The core wires are 34 gauge N80, with 42 gauge for the clapton wrap & fusing wire. Specs= 6X34/42GA, (.45Ω). It seems super efficient at 52W. Fires up instantly and some of the best flavor I’ve ever experienced. Seems like my favorites always seem to be the difficult ones…

I love using thinner core wire staggs. There’s a million ways to make them but it’s definitely my favorite style to use.

8 Likes

Wow @INOIROC 6 core wires !!!

That thing looks like it might just SUCK in the juice, hold it, and then DUMP it on you !!! ESPECIALLY in that lil’ dense flavor chucker ED.

When, and I did say WHEN, we start the email campaign directed at Wotofo to RE-release the ED, I think it’s settled who’s coils should come in the box now. Just sayin’.

8 Likes

:grin::call_me_hand: I’m all for it. Wotofo needs to know that they didn’t just make a regular “Run of the mill” single coil RDA. They need to know about it’s superb-ness. Same deck, different caps is all that’s needed. Dragon 1.5, the people want it… they NEED it… :laughing: Get with it Wotofo!

6 Likes

5core sfc I recently made

12 Likes

I decided to try stagger with 44ga (N80) again today. The first run didn’t go so well. I knew it wouldn’t fuse properly for sure, but did it anyway. I tried it again, but made my initial spaced clapton really slow. I also wondered if I’d been using too large of a core wire. This time I used my tiny 34 gauge cores (5x34/44ga). Anyways, my second run went pretty smooth. One little section of my stick doesn’t look perfect but I AMAZED myself today. I should also say, I haven’t tried anything with magnification. I just use my vision and hope for the best. No pictures yet, but I’ll do it soon. What I thought was gonna be impossible, isn’t. It held it’s form well on the little 34ga. It’s always been a mess on the stuff I’ve tried (27, 28, & 30ga mostly)

I’m down to very little 44ga so I’m planning on getting more. My goal is to always do better. I wanna make a flawless stick of staggered 44 :laughing:. Im not gonna stop until my task is completed. Everything else (More normal sizes), will seem like a piece of cake in comparison. I used to only try it about once every couple of months. Now that I had pretty good success, I wanna try it at least once every time I spin wires. I’m guessing it’ll vape brilliantly, but it’s more about the challenge.

8 Likes

I forgot to come back. Staggered 44ga looks a lot like staggered 42ga :laughing:. I’ll post a comparison photo below.

It’s an N80 SFC: 6x34/44ga. Below it’s next to a 7x34/42ga. It was a lot more revolutions and way harder to see…

It’s really flavorful and fires right now @ 50W.

11 Likes

What’s the coil ohms on that ??

4 Likes

The coil resistance= 0.45Ω

5 Likes

I would be happy af if you would sell me a few of those! Are you in the US by chance?!

5 Likes

Boro bridge territory hmm

2 Likes

The only problem is: That one is next to impossible to make :laughing:. I’ll shoot you a PM later :+1:. I’ve never posted a video here before but I’ll see if it works.

https://imgur.com/L2aRgnp

You gotta un-mute it I think to hear the sound. I was watching the Sopranos when I took the vid. The beach boys song was playing. The coil has some giddy up @ 50W :grin:.

7 Likes

Battlestar? I bought my blue Elder Dragon as a combo, both blue. He wouldnt let it go without buying the mod too. PITA to fill but a pretty decent mod.

3 Likes

I should’ve bought more bottles while I could. Fasttech had 5-packs in stock. Since they’ve closed, I can’t find them anywhere.

I bought two from Eciggity years ago. They had a 50% off coupon for everything in their clearance section. It worked out to like $30 each but that’s still a good deal. I got a blue and a black. I still haven’t touched the black one. This blue one has been my main vaping device for over 2 years.

4 Likes

Contact Smoant and ask them to send you some, cant hurt to ask. When i bought it off the ecig classies i asked the person about getting some bottles, smoant rep saw it and sent me a few.

4 Likes

I emailed them a month or two ago. The person told me they had 1 left. If I wanted it, they asked me to cover shipping. I thought about it but forgot to get back to them. Maybe I should try again. A different representative might be able to find a few more hopefully :laughing:.

4 Likes