Coil Building Wire Choices

A good pair of toenail clippers works also :wink: I have both nailclippers and a small pair of cutters in my bag :slight_smile:

I would check out the Coil Master set, comes with all youā€™d need, as far as making your first basic coils goes, but you could probably just see what it comes with and scrounge up the things or substitute with whats available also, I know a lot of people just use the precision screw drivers to wrap coils on sometimes, even.

Coil Master

Coil Master Review - Youtube video

1 Like

You should be fine and have plenty to spare for flavors. :wink: I am not a pro coil builder by any stretch of the imagination, but I definitely get by. Other than wire and wick (which I will leave up to other guys, but personally I like 26ga TI and SS) the tools that are invaluable to me are my coiling rod(s), clippers, and ceramic tip tweezers. I use a pair of my daughterā€™s old school scissors (since she gets a new set every year) to cut my wicks. Most RDAs and RTAs come with little blue screwdrivers but I suppose if you really wanted you could buy a set of screwdrivers. This kit seems to have everything, but I canā€™t speak to quality. Iā€™m sure there are probably better things out there and others can add in their two cents, but what I posted is exactly what I use, brand and all, on 90% of the coils I make and use on a daily basis be it tank or dripper, single or dual. Hope that helps. YMMV. :wink:

2 Likes

and just like that I have a trail to follow to research information so I can make my final decisions. You guys make it almost too easy :smiling_imp:

I think I am probably going to overdo my choices, like getting a full tool kit and a few choices of wire and cloth so I can experimentā€¦all based on your recommendations. I would just rather buy everything now if I can and have lots of new toys.

As far as new flavors @JoJo I just put in an order from WizardLabs.us for VBIC as well as Van Custard and Dragonfruit (againā€¦just LOVE this stuff as a main & enhancer flavor) as well as some others. I am just buying things at no less than 1oz at this point thoā€¦the prices seem fair enough and I donā€™t have to be so nervous I am going to use stuff up.

There is a local vape store here called ā€œVapor Rocketā€ www.vaporrocket.com and their claim to fame is something called ā€œSpace Milkā€ā€¦which is just amazing. I use it for an ADV and thought I could recreate it but so far I have had no luck at all. I did not realize that it was strawberries and custard (with other unknowns) that was giving it that really rich, back of your throat flavor. I was using sweet cream and other stuff with the strawberryā€¦I am hoping the custard gives me that that taste/sensation I am looking for.

Sorry to go off topicā€¦Iā€™m just excited :slight_smile:

thanks again me hermanos y hermanas!!!

alsoā€¦hereā€™s a pic of my new rig with its new drip tip !!

its deceptive but the Melo2 (on device) has more than double the capacity at 5mLā€™s then the Arctic original I have sitting next to it. MUCH easier to work with as far as filling etc as well.

4 Likes

@Whiterose0818 @Pro_Vapes
Reporting back on the ti fused clapton. As you know i made a fused clapton with 2x 26g ti01 wrapped with 32g ti.
So i put 5 wraps, duel with a 2.5mm id, ohmā€™d out at 0.22

Loaded her up,

And filled the aromamizer with the same juice i have in my other aromamizer. The second aromamizer has a 22g ti build in it, same diameter. 0.08ohm
Vapeing on these side by side, the fused clapton has more flavour and definitely more vapor, but it takes a bit longer to ramp up.
The fused claptons would not work on a joyetech mod. The eleaf istick 100w tc, e vic mini, the cuboid and the rx200 would not run this build i had to use an ipv mod.
Thatā€™s all i own from joyetech.
The ipv4s and ipv5 fire them no problem.
So up to now, the difference between the two builds , imho, is the fused clapton just edges out Infront of the straight 22g ti.
However, I havenā€™t tried this fc build lower yet and i know ti shines at lower ohmā€™s, so tomorrow i will lower the ohmā€™s down and see how she vapes. This will probably help with ramp up time.
After that i will run a fused clapton and parallel it with some 26g and see what that does.
But like i say, the fc is winning tonight. :wink:

3 Likes

Excellent report, my brother! A man and his research! I, too, have been back at the claptonsā€¦I have been dropping SS fused claptons into my tanksā€¦26gx2 wrapped in 32g, all 316lā€¦and the vapor production and flavor is off the chain! And, would you believe, Iā€™ve been doing contact coils with thsee builds. Of course, Iā€™m only doing power mode with these, but Iā€™m back to enjoying my vape again!
Also, I found someone selling high gauge 316l, 36g and 38g, so I ordered some of that to try some high gauge SS claptons with!
Keep on with your studies and keep the info flowing!

2 Likes

Good to see what your doing with the ss brother. Iā€™ll continue on with the ti builds and you with the ss and together we will have plenty information on both to share with our community.
Awsome. Keep you posted. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I have the burning tab master and the 521 tab. I first ordered the 521 from coil master and it was broke after waiting 2 months to get the replacement I went ahead and bought the Burning tab master from fridaymorning.com it was quite a bit more expensive but I must say it is loads better. The craftsmanship is impeccable. They use the highest quality materials.
I opened up the 521 that was broke and discovered that they used plastic and glue on the working parts. I was hesitant to open up the Burning tab masterā€¦but I could not help myself. no glue no plastic. I am not an electrician but it looked waybetter inside. ( i must confess i only peeked ).
I did finally get the 521 and it works about the same. The thing is one will work far longer than the other.

3 Likes

Picked up the Coil Master DIY Kit with V3 coil jig and CM 521 tab, Tsunami RDA and a selection of wires, cotton & rayon. Among other things.

Kanthal A1 in 24g, 26g, triple twisted 28g, clapton 26g+32g
Nichrome 26g
Ni200 26g
SS 316L in 26g and 28g

This should give me a bit to play around with.

6 Likes

Anybody have any suggestions for me on wire ? I like MTL hits and have considered getting a kayfun to start only because of the draw. I donā€™t know what version to get. I want a single coil to end up around 1.8 ohm have 3 different 20 watt boxes , 3 50 watt boxes and a couple TC mode 100 watt mods but not looking for high wattage since I still want to vape MTL just want to be prepared. Iā€™ll have to get another ohms reader and get some cotton donā€™t know if I should buy that huge box yet as who knows if Iā€™ll have the patience to do this.

Looking cleanest wire to run in wattage mode for a 1.8 ohm single coil ? TIA

& If you have a better starter RTA MTL choice I am open to suggestions?

Since you want higher ohms, I suggest you start with some kanthal. The other wire choices have a much lower resistance compared to kanthal. Therefore, kanthal will require less wraps and you can use a thicker (lower) gauge wire.

Some 28 gauge kanthal with a 2.5 inner diameter and 10 wraps (spaced or tight together) will get you at around 1.8 ohms.

www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp is good to play wound with to let you learn what the different coil configurations you can run.

Hereā€™s some different wire choice configurations:.
28g KA1 - 2.5 I.D. - 10 wraps ~ 1.8 ohms
32g Ti - 2.5 I.D. - 13 wraps ~ 1.8 ohms
30g SS 316L - 2.5 I.D. - 13 wraps ~ 1.8 ohms
28g Nichrome (N80) - 2.5 I.D. - 13 wraps ~ 1.8 ohms

As you can see, the ohm range you are looking for can be achieved with most any wire. It will just depend on the gauge of the wire and number of wraps and what you can actually fit in your build deck.

1 Like

My preference lately has been using SS 316L for my power mode builds.

1 Like

Thank you , I was looking at steam engine this morning and it got me wondering why I have yet to prepare myself for this LOL.

I found a Kayfun 4 for 22.99 at eciggity with a 20% off Memorial sale I may go with it. Will a 28g wire bring about a hotter vape ? Looking for warmth not heat ? Also since I am beating the deck is tight which is the friendliest wire for Kayfun 4

2 Likes

Iā€™m not completely sure but I would have to say kanthal since you could use less wraps to get to the resistance that you are looking for. When buying your first wire, I would start with a small spool to see if that works for you and to keep the cost down.

You should also google around some kayfun builds to see what others have been building. It could give you an idea of the size of the build deck.

A quick image search pulled up this. It looks like 8 wraps on that build.
http://puckecig.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/coil-on-kayfun.jpg

2 Likes

This one has 15 wraps

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good idea ! I can look at what the pros & cons are as well. I put some kanthal 30awg in my cart but still am hesitant. I will do more reading up on this before I commit I donā€™t like hot vapes so I need to get the right wire. I appreciate your time & advice thank you.

1 Like

No problem. Glad I could help!

2 Likes

I figure I give enough advice in another direction Iā€™m due to ask a few newbie coil questions lol :wink:

2 Likes

Exactly! :smile: I was a newbie coil builder not long agoā€¦well still pretty new but know my way around basic coil building. Just now starting to getting into wrapping my own clapton wire. Weā€™ll see how that goes. :worried:

2 Likes

I like a warm vape myself. I use kanthal and SS; 28ga SS primarily. Iā€™m pretty positive that a 10 to 12 single wrap, single coil, 2.5mm ID is going to get you close to what you want; vaping on that at 20 to 30 watts is going to be a nice warm vape.

I usually run a dual coil, but I do have single coil decks I can swap out in a few of my atomizers. Iā€™d be glad to run a test coil setup and try to zero in on a single coil setup that will give you a nice warm vape. :grinning:

2 Likes

Now the time has come for me to sound ā€¦stupid ! What is ID ? And if I am making a 1.8 ohm single coil build your saying Iā€™d be running them in the 20-30 watt range & not like a stock coil in the 12-14 watt range ?

I chose kanthal 30 awg but havenā€™t bought it yet was lurking around and finding advice. :wink:

I also took @JoJo advice and put a Youde coil Jig in my cart

2 Likes