Coil Gunker Concerns

thank you lol

4 Likes

im not saying i think that at all , im just saying soon there will be a test or something saying how bad vaping is for you lol

4 Likes

There will always be something lol

6 Likes

Personally I only use TC and mostly below 500 degrees Fahrenheit. I read the study and from what I took away from it was that if your coil reaches 520f the VG itself can put off formaldehyde at a rate of 3 times as much as found in cigarette smoke. Is it true? Is the study flawed? I have no clue. I am not a scientist or a chemist nor do I pretend to understand any of this crap.

What I do understand is when I go to the Doctor now all he says is keep doing what you are doing because it is working. My lungs are working belter than they have for probably 30 years.

I vape a lot of stuff that gunks coils up quick like N.E.T liquids, dessert, cinnamon and chocolate flavors so I am just vigilant to clean my coils often. It is easy and cheap to do so why not enjoy what you like to vape.

10 Likes

Iā€™m also mostly into stuff that gunks badly, like many others. Personally, while I can understand otherā€™s concerns, Iā€™m not all too worried. Like said before, the lungs werenā€™t intended for vaping at all - but to be perfectly honest, living in a city is a way worse life choice than vaping gunky stuff compared to dicetone-free etc. Thatā€™s the stuff thatā€™s gonna kill ya. And besides, torching that gunk is a lot of fun! :laughing:

9 Likes

This is a question I have often wondered myself. I like really sweet juices so my coils are constantly getting gunky. However, I am not sure that what is on the coils in the form of the gunk is actually building up in our lungs. I say this because I think, in my own personal opinion of course, that if that gunk were building up in places other than our coils we would see it build up more on the inside of our tanks. Kind of like, for those of you who have smoked weed and know what I am talking about, when you smoke a bowl and eventually the resin is caked all over the inside of the pipe, not just where the burning takes place. I imagine we would see more gunk in other places besides on the coil and therefore that is why I think it pretty much is only gunky where the heat is actually vaporizing our liquid. I donā€™t have an ultrasonic cleaner and I donā€™t clean my tanks thoroughly that often (gross I know!), but I never have build up of gunk anywhere but directly on the coils. I just feel that if I were seeing the gunk on the inside of the tank in other places that it would give me more of a suggestion that it is able to enter my lungs. I donā€™t know, maybe my way of thinking is dumb, but I am open to others thoughts on what I have saidā€¦

15 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. If I ever notice black specks on my cotton I clean up my coil because itā€™s obvious that bits are coming loose and could potentially be getting into my lungs. But with the gunk right on the coils and not building up other places it does seem that itā€™s probably not a big deal unless, like I said, little pieces start breaking off.

eta: That made it sound like I donā€™t clean my coils until the crust starts breaking offā€¦barfā€¦lol! I donā€™t usually wait nearly that long, just for the record. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

i change my coils often not because of health concerns but because it taste a lot better when things are fresh but @SunnyT it makes sense what your saying

7 Likes

I donā€™t know that Iā€™d be putting motorcycle parts that come in contact with gas and them my coils and vaping gear in the same cleaner. Not sure the motor would run well on vape residue and on the other hand not so sure Iā€™d want to vape gasoline, motor oil, and solvent either.

1 Like

Yeah Yeah sure sure.

1 Like

Is there a list of gunking flavors? I havenā€™t seen one on the forum but then I missed what is one of my favorite threads for months and @VapeyMama never even told me about it :wink:

5 Likes

I donā€™t know what that itā€™s but it sounds like something that belongs in the other threadā€¦:joy:

7 Likes

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm could be, but I changed it anyway. And now mom since I changed it can you answer the question???

2 Likes

Lol
Iā€™m not aware of a thread/list of gunking flavors. Sorry!

2 Likes

Well then (and this is to all that take the time to read this) we should start one somewhere here in the liquids area huh

2 Likes

Seeing this makes me glad most of my concoctions are predominantly fruit with some booze and a couple with some sweet cream in them

3 Likes

I am like you and have doubts that any gunk is making it thru to our lungs

But

If you truly wanted to know for sure try putting a piece of cheese cloth or something similar over the drip tip and take a few hard, long draws on it to see if any black deposits are left on the cheese cloth.

7 Likes

I have seen it talked about in places here before but not sure if there is a list of any kind.

I would be glad to help with what I know for a fact to contribute to coil gunking.

NETā€™s or for those not familiar Naturally Extracted Tobacco
Sweetener (at least sucralose does)
Cinnamon
Chocolate

These are just the ones I have noticed that add to the problem the most in my personal experience anyway.

3 Likes

you should not ever use that way for many reasons:
1- when hot metal goes into water it gain more carbon which will change the metal
2- never use this on a mod that have a chip in it, because that water might go inside the mod and make a short ( water conduct electricity because it has solt) and the mod will go crazy because of the changing in resistance, this will destroy your mod
3- if you are using unregulated mech mod, the mod might explode in your hand - because of the shot circuit - or you might even ruin you battery

the best way to clean your coils is to have a cotton filled with PG heat the coils then apply that cotton to the coil
for the inside: spin the one corner of a tissue and let it go through the coil
this is how i clean my coils

4 Likes

im pretty sure it goes in because i used to vape Beard N.00 and that shit will gunk your coils with one hit, i have long front teeth and one day i saw that there is a black spot between my teeth so i brushed them and it is gone (and it kept happening as i used that E liquid) so we can be sure that gunk comes off the coil and go to your lungs,

BUT, what is gunk ? it is carbon
so i think your body will behave as if it is dust and the mucus in your lungs will catch that gunk and take it out with coughs.

i think you should stay away from very gunky E liquids because you dont what to push your lungs to the limit.

if you are using a normal not expensive coils just change them every now and then.

Iā€™m not a doctor Iā€™m just thinking

3 Likes