Coil Gunker Concerns

That picture @Pugs1970 kind of says it all. I make a cranberry cream vape that starts to taste burned at 3 days. No one has mentioned the menthol effect. It is some kind of a carbon build up but it taste more like a chemical reaction. At 7 days bam - coil done.

3 Likes

One thing that comes to mind when considering what is being inhaled besides vapor. If youā€™re using a tank, maybe inspecting the chimney will give an idea as to what is getting pass the coil and cotton. A clean chimney might be a clean vape. A stained or dark chimney should give an idea whatā€™s being inhaled.

Sugars/Fructose are known to gunk coils

4 Likes

I donā€™t believe your lungs absorb vapor molecules nor by the time vapor is created there are ā€œgunkā€ in it. In a purely non-scientific but vivid comparison of vaping vs smoking try blowing some vapor exhaled from your lungs into a paper towel or tissue. Perhaps you recall doing so when you were a smoker or just take what the spent filter from a cigarette looks like after smoking. With e-liquid vapor there is no staining in after-product. I believe the ā€œgunkā€ to be those carbonā€™s (for lack of ā€œscientificā€ term that actually burn instead of vaporize on contact with the heating element. I wouldnā€™t worry; there is no close comparison in harm done, between the amount of harm done by inhaling combustion versus vapor.

Hmm. Have you tried vaping in your car to see whatā€™s left in the windows? Just a thought.

Lol soo funny you mentioned this as I did exactly that just yesterday.

Itā€™s clear VG, the glycerin molecules in vapor are too large to be deposited in the lungs, unlike tar which sticks to them.

sorry, missed that the first time through the threadā€¦

Oh I did it but didnā€™t post about it - i just remembered the primitive test in school about a 100 years ago and was interested in the results.

Excellent video; in the first couple minutes there is comment on a heart surgery regarding the patients lungs and the surgeons interest in e-cigarettes. https://youtu.be/B2myg-4zkE8 (bottom line the carbon in analogs sticks to the lungs / this is not evident in e-liquid)

Wow! You were in school 100 years ago? Whatā€™s the secret to your longevity? Iā€™ll be nicer to you from now on old man.:grinning:

3 Likes

In the beginning i was less mindful of coil gore but in the last couple years i started rewicking when i noticed a build up and lately it has been every few days as i notice a huge flavor difference.Then again a few days is is a lot of ejuiceā€¦

Im not sure if i started rewicking more often as a result of seeing the ick and the bleh or because of the flavor difference but either way it is probably a good thing.

5 Likes