Coils when taste testing

Hey everyone,
This may sound like a stupid question to a lot of you, but we would like to know if when you are taste/flavour testing a mix do you use the same coil ?
What we test on is the Obelisk 120FC Z Kit by Geek Vape.
Again this may come across as a stupid question but it kind of makes sense to us that a new coil would be the better way to go for a new flavour, so there is no left over taste from the previous flavours, even though it is an extra expense.
The second part to this question is something we have thought about also and that is there a way that a coil could be flushed out with water or similar, before testing the next mix ?
We welcome your feedback and look forward to learning more from you guys.

9 Likes

Rebuildables & changing the wick in between flavours is the best method.

You cannot flush a coil out with water but you can put unflavoured VG on it and vape it until there is no taste (conversely when you are testing your flavour it may take a little while until the new flavour fully replaces the unflavoured VG)

10 Likes

@woftam thanks for that answer and we will give that a go. Also can you tell me why the majority of concentrates we use are PG instead of VG ? It is another question that I should have posted. Thanks again

3 Likes

I think it’ll be that PG is a better flavour carrier than VG, or so I’ve read anyway.

7 Likes

Not so much a better flavour carrier but PG is a much better solvent than VG is, therefore a quicker flavour carrier is probably a more accurate phrase.

If you do a high VG mix the flavour will be the same eventually it will just take longer to homogenise by manually shaking. High shear mixing will level the playing field as far as that is concerned.

8 Likes

For Single Flavor testing I mostly use an RDA…
For testing new Mixes I use the FreeMaxMeshPro coils and Yes I do wash my coils, just need to make sure it’s dry before re-using. I have so many washed coils, I always have dry ones to rotate into use and typically have 4 - 5 MeshPro tanks going just for new recipe development.
Here’s a few cleaned and ready for reuse:

5 Likes

I bought a pulse 24 rda for £4 to test. Pulse coils and replace cotton every test.

6 Likes

I still use a Pulse 24 as one of my test RDA’s. That trusty lump has outlived many mods.

6 Likes

They look beautifully clean! How do you clean them? Water bath or something more sophisticated?

5 Likes

I use FreeMax Fireluke 3 at 50W (much better flavour, imo, than FreeMax M Pro 2, btw), rinse and dry the tank (not the coil though), and then refill with unflavoured juice and vape until clean, before trying another flavour.
I only use VG and natural PG-free concentrates; PG is certainly not a must to get strong and rich flavours.

4 Likes

@Psycho_316 @SquirrelSmash you guys make me want one too now. The Wotofo Profile 1.5 I have has been a bit of hit and miss to be honest (unless I’m really crap at wicking).

3 Likes

The pulse 24 is a great rda for testing not so much for squonking though​:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Its a great tester all day been using it for a tear now keeps going

3 Likes

Please explain, thx. Also, what coil/wire would you recommend for testing with pulse 24?

2 Likes

Personally I use flat fused claptons at 3mm with 6 wraps. I tend to keep the legs long to allow for under coil airflow, so I end up at 0.18-0.19.

5 Likes

I’ve heard of claptons and alien and I’m itching to dive into that (albeit tentatively). I can also see premade ones are available - would any work with pulse?

P.S. You have a fine palate, Mr Squirrel. The Decadent nic you suggested is excellent, thanks! :grinning:

3 Likes

It leaks and spitbacks badly if you slightly over squeeze the bottle.

I make my own fused claptons at .25-.30 ohms

5 Likes

I just flush them under hot tap water, then soak in water for a day or two, I used to soak them in vodka until my (Russian) wife caught on, but water seems to work just fine. Finally I rinse them again and then wrap in paper towels and put away to dry for a week or two.
Mostly my coils only see 20ml before I wash them (some up to 60ml) so they’re not spent.

I use the OG MeshPro Kanthal coils, Single or double. I don’t care for the M Pro 2 (Maxus) SS coils

I too use the Pulse for testing, also use the Rebirth rta and the OG Rye rda.

I use the Wotofo fused Clapton premade on a roll, it couldn’t be easier:

6 Likes

Some really good tips here. Much appreciated @Rocky02852, thanks.

4 Likes

These seem quite popular. Would they fit the pulse 24 rda?
@Rocky02852 @Psycho_316 @SquirrelSmash, thanks guys.

6 Likes