Combining flvrs to create different flavor?

Hey I did some toasted oak slivers(for lack of a better term) in Vodka sealed it up pretty good and set in the warm UC for half an hour. I got a liquid that is a beautiful golden brown and rich oak scented liquid that I used in it as opposed to a commercial oak flavor for the cider. I’m hoping it brings about the essence of being aged in an oakbarrels.

4 Likes

Ive ordered a few different kinds but i think i have settled on Medium Toast French Oak. The flavor is coming along nicely. I think im about to sacrifice a bottle of VC V1 and drop a couple in a 4 oz bottle of it.

3 Likes

I like that idea! Great find!

3 Likes

Im think maybe even in PG and creating a flavoring. Still in the early stages of testing different things but the results on an early test on a batch of Simple Custard are very very promising.

3 Likes

The oak chips in vodka and pg is a fascinating idea @GPC2012 and @Ken_O_Where
I look forward to reading more as this progresses :slight_smile: hope it works well

3 Likes

I couldn’t resist I vaped about a quarter of a tank last night. It does need some cap off steeping, but the oak barrel flavor is there for sure. As I said to Booze Wench Hard Cider doesn’t have cinnamon in it The second apple I used has a bit of cinnamon in it and has no place in this mix. After the first I need to get another apple I’ve got TPA Green apple. I need to see what the crew says about some of the other apples. Capella Green Apple, and Double Apple. TPA Apple Tart won’t work as it has cinnamon in it. I was thinking Tart = Sour not Tart = pie. I see Flavorah has a green apple anyone use it.

Back to the Hard Cider the tiny bit of bourbon brings about that alcohol aftertaste that hard ciders and mixed drinks have. The apple as stated before needs another element to it. Adding the Pomagranite brings about floral notes that will mellow with time. Adding a touch of sour was a good idea I think as well.

1 Like

Stark (fa) is very much an apple juice flavor. I’m thinking it’s definitely gonna be my main apple flavor in the hard cider mix.

1 Like

is it a sweet golden delicious kinda apple or a tart granny smith kinda apple?

1 Like

It’s sweet, like apple juice made from a can of frozen concentrate.
But it needs some tartness to round out the apple flavor. The only other apple I have at the moment is Fuji, which is great but I’m not convinced it’s is right for a hard cider.

1 Like

Where are you from? Midwest is what I’m guessing.

I haven’t heard that phrase in forever…LOL

3 Likes

Wish I could get a 5 ml bottle of several of the apples. I think TFA green apple and CAP double apple is the direction I’m gonna go. I just uncapped it and gave it a squeeze, since I made the oak flavor with alcohol I want to get the evap out of it. OMG it smells so good, and that’s with the apple cinnamon I used in it to round out the apple. the cinnamon needs to go but it smells so good. wish we had smellawebs.* :smile:

Well most of the time. :wink:

3 Likes

Yup… Michigan!

1 Like

I’m originally from MN but moved to NV 13 years ago.

2 Likes

You are not escaping the heat here this week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Joy is ok, not wonderful.

1 Like