Common chemicals to clear our pallette/taste-buds?

While conversing about argon, I got thinking about chemicals generally and how the dinner I just ate is stopping me tasting my juice to full capacity and gargling/brushing your teeth after meals is all good and well, but it doesn’t necessarily reset your taste-buds.

So what common household chemicals that most people have in their homes, could be used as a gargle or rinse and have better results than alcohol or mouthwash? I’m thinking bi-card soda or citric acid, or a salt in water saline rinse, or vinegar in water… there’s gotta be a simple, safe chemical we could either mix with water or use straight to rinse and clear our palette ready to try a new juice or flavour?

Any old wives remedies we could try?

4 Likes

I think some :lemon: would do the trick

4 Likes

Yeah?

I don’t have any fresh lemons… will citric acid do?

I will get one when I’m at the shops tomorrow and try it : smirk:

3 Likes

Probably, anything sour will do I guess. There’s nothing better than sucking on a lemon mind :woozy_face:

3 Likes

I tried a bi-carb soda mouth rinse.

That didn’t instantly reset my taste buds.

I will try citric acid, then apple cider vinegar in water.

3 Likes

i was recommended lemon or vinegar . i poured some vinegar on a plate and planted my tongue in it for 2 mins, then a good rinse job. that didn’t do anything.

4 Likes

Something must work: there’s so many combo’s of simple chemicals we all use in everyday living maybe a food - lime or milk - though I’m a big milk drinker and that’s never made me think “OMFG I can really TASTE IT now!!”

Mm… it would sure be beneficial to know how to clear our taste-buds memory quickly and efficiently.

2 Likes

Beer works best for me

7 Likes

perhaps, perhaps not, and probably many factors come into play

when i first started vaping, the flavor just kicked me in the teeth. now, not so much.

2 Likes

Yeah I find it seems to depend mostly on what I’ve eaten or drank beforehand, how long it’s been since I last ate, and generally revolves around food (or lack thereof): if I am vaping an hour without a coffee, tea, water, any drink or food the taste will well on it’s way to fading, though like tonight - an actual meal seems to make vapor very tasteless and makes sense after my mouth has been grooving’ along to actual food that’s packed with flavour and rubbing against my tongue I’m eating it.

By the time the meal is over it’s understandable my taste-buds would be pretty unimpressed with some flavoured air :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I DO find that anything that gets my saliva glands producing tend to clear my mouth enough for me to get the nictine ‘needling’ again.

And cheese: that seems to do something (probably just PH or fat content) that makes me able to taste the nicotine (or feel it rather, since I’m talking about that prickly sensation) again pretty much straight after.

1 Like

So store a chunk of cheese in a glass in the fridge, then spit in it as much as possible to fill the glass with old saliva.

When vape-tongue starts being a thing, have yourself a gargle with that old cheesy spit and, well, anything will taste good anyway after that :slight_smile:

Moldy spit aside however, it could be as simple as saliva: get them glands pumping fresh saliva on your tongue and reset the PH and that could be all we actually need to get flavour back.

Makes sense when I think how often excessive vaping dries my mouth out.

1 Like

:laughing: you can try that, let me know how it goes :smile: :+1:

2 Likes

:drooling_face: :+1:

2 Likes

Photo or it never happened :slight_smile:

1 Like

i did do it. while not pleasant, it wasn’t as bad as i imagined.

2 Likes

There are people who make a living from their taste buds. If I were interested, I’d investigate what they do.

5 Likes

Baking soda

2 Likes

Stick your face in a can of fresh-ground coffee and breathe in for a minute or so (don’t fuckin snort it). It sounds like an old-wives tale but it worked for me. Also, try a Netty Pot. That works for me also, although I’m not quite sure why.

6 Likes

I tried coffee powder and it worked fine, you can chew on coffee beans or sometimes worked just by smelling it from the jar

3 Likes