Concentrates and steeping times

So I’m making my first concentrate recipe called Holy Rich Base. It has flavors that need to steep at least a week or two. Once I mix just the flavors, if they steep together for 2 weeks as a concentrate, does it shorten the steep time when added to a mix w the VG/PG recipe? Do the flavor molecules come together as a steeped concentrate first? TIA

4 Likes

There must be something in the air! We were just having this conversation in another thread:

5 Likes

Lol. This has been a prior topic discussed plenty of times.

The question still remains…do the flavors need to bind to the newly added pg/vg? For my personal opinion, yes.

To what extent? Don’t know. Haven’t had a desire to test it out. Some have claimed it cuts down the time but not all the way others do. There won’t be a perfect answer.

So I subscribe to do what works for you. Test it out if you see value in doing that way. I know of plenty of mixers that will make a 500ml or more batch minus the nic and claim it will be good for a year or more. The key…to each their own.

To me the real goal of doing this is reducing the mixing time. Make a one shot to use later…dispense 10 flavors into one container and when desired add 5mls of the mixed concentrate to a base of just pg/vg/nic to desired levels for example.

5 Likes

I’m in this camp as well.

5 Likes

Agree, and the length of ingredients list on recipes, but I was just wondering how the length of time a concentrate sits affects the steeping time of a finished recipe, if at all. Thanks!

2 Likes

@LianazVapin As you will read (or have read), much controversy on this one. I have mixed all kinds of single flavors, complex mixes, stones / bases, one-shots, and found that with SOME flavors (mostly fruits, and less complex) benefited in SOMEWHAT of a shorter steep, but not that much. On my tests with more complex, custards, bakeries, it appeared to me, that pre-mixing the flavors, then adding to the base/NIC did not speed much along.

Your mileage will vary, and you may find that the TYPES of flavorings will dictate more than anything else.

5 Likes

Agree completely. Ingredients on this base are definitely a two-week steep. It is comprised of super rich creams mostly, Holy Vanilla, and ice cream.

4 Likes

For me, natural steeping/aging begins when the last final ingredient is added to the mix. Each mix is subject to an individuals perceived ideal taste and sleep time, so I like to keep it simple and uncomplicated.
My formula for steeping, everything gets at least 4 weeks minimum and if the mix does not taste good, change it or toss the recipe. There are too many great mixes out there that need consideration/attention.

6 Likes