Concentrates that mute over time?

When I said “instantly” I was joking, but for my point of view a couple of days is… instantly.
As a Shake and vape it’s a winner, after a couple of days/week, It starts blending/steeping and starts nulling some flavours.
Once it’s done it’s done, unfortunately not much you can do about it, I tried adding a single flavour to increase the head note, but again… it worked for a couple of days then it started again.
I don’t know the “truth” but that’s what happened to me.
We’d have to check the MSDS on each flavour and see if it’s got EM, but studying this,I’ve a sensation that it could also be the Maltol itself (e.g. Bav Cream).

The end of the story could be that as a rule of thumb, too many additives can/will mute the mix…

But we all already know that…

2 Likes

This is an interesting question. I suppose it might work…? Idk… But now I want to test it!

2 Likes

I suppose you also have to add a couple of the other flavors of the juice then. Dropping a 3% to a 1.5% EM for example, you’ll have to double your base liquid and your other flavors will also halve in strength.

2 Likes

Thank you Frank I’m sorry it took me so long to reply but I appreciate your info. Ya know the overstepping thing I had a feeling about because I’ve always felt like my flavors dulled after a month n a half because I usually don’t use more than 5% of anything, so I thought to myself steeping can only go so far but I figured I may just be crazy but it turns out it is the others who are crazy putting 20% strawberry in then letting it steep forever and saying that that is what helped…no…your flavor faded enough so u can handle it…you just wasted flavoring really lmao

3 Likes

Is there any way I can find out what flavors have how much EM? I know TPA has spreadsheets of their contents but is there any way for other brands or how to read TPA sheets? Also why was it unvapeable NCO? I heard custard just gets better as much as time passes? Thanks I appreciate you

2 Likes

I want to thank everyone for their info and knowledge on this topic and I’m sorry it took so long to reply, I’ve been working hard on my new recipes (although quite a few are private) lol I appreciate you all thank you again!

2 Likes

Not really. It is pretty common knowledge in diy that TPA Strawberry Ripe, just as a example has alot of EM.
Not alot of flavors have as much EM as Strawberry Ripe so this flavor has become pretty notorious for it. This is probably the only flavor you need to be real worried about muting with.
What does your total flavoring percentage usually land at? 10-15%? And do you use alot of Strawberry Ripe?

5% of TPA Strawberry Ripe would be able to mute most mixes so this is why i’m asking…

After 6 months steep it just seemed really overflavored. Was supposed to be a creamy custard and turned out to be the harshest eliquid i ever vaped. Oversteeping turns your eliquid really harsh i learned from that.

Yeah me too, but oversteeping is a real thing. 1-2 months for your tobacco and custards max, otherwise it’s the recipe you need to fix.

I’m glad i was able to help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It depends on the ingredient. Not every strawberry fades or gets stronger/sweeter/milder/harsher etc. Same with custards and creams, percentages do matter and vary by manufacturer, as well as higher VG or flavors based on VG will take longer steeping time which leads to flavors staying intact longer. Knowing your flavors in and out makes these things a bit easier at the end, and most people will add strawberry ripe in the last days of steeping. Just have to see what works for you I guess.

1 Like

@Nco I’ve learned that it does contain more EM than the usual, I used to use that much Strawberry Ripe when I was ignorant to the fact that 3-4% CAP Sweet Strawberry and 1.5-2% Strawberry Ripe is n amazing layer but only for small batches seeing as strawberry ripe mutes flavor and sweet strawberry fades, which is unfortunate because those two were made for each other when it comes to taste, there’s always fkin something right?! Lol my %s land anywhere from 5%-30% depending on many factors, usually that high % is a shake and vape but I usually don’t SnV my average I’d say is 10-15% I suppose yea. I understand now, kinda like too much of anything is a bad thing with the or steeping thing haha that’s a univeresal law even outside of mixing

2 Likes

@eStorm thank you so you’re saying add my strawberry blend toward the last few days and it won’t mess with anything but make it how I want it to turn out? I usually use a 70/30 ratio whether my flavors are that much or not, I used to use max VG anywhere from 80/20 to 95/5 but I’m experimenting with flavor chasing more than clouds now. I heard JF Strawberry doesn’t fade over time correct?

2 Likes

That’s correct, some strawberry mixtures will hold up better when mixed in at the end of your steeping time, if you didn’t used a booster or flavor that holds them together.

Let me try to explain it with one of my strawberry custards. I mostly let the custard steep, depending what brand I’m using that will be anywhere from 3 days all the way to 1 month.

If I plan on using strawberry ripe as the strawberry in this mixture, I’ll split my custard mix 3 days prior to the estimated overall steeping time and bottle them, using 10ml cobalt or amber glass bottles. Now I go and add let’s say 3% of strawberry ripe to it, wait 3 days and try it.

If its weak I up the percentage and try again, however if I get close to let’s say 5% and its still lacking the initial prominent strawberry I was looking for, I’ll get a other strawberry to support the ripe.

Or I will from the beginning just use a supporting enhancing side flavor, for example a dragon fruit, guava, Fuji, cactus, prickly pear, pear, peach, coconut etc. There’s so many flavors you can use to boost or support your initial strawberry with, at low percentages most of the time even undetectable in flavor towards the main profile.

Or if I plan on using that ripe, I would grab a very dominant strawberry for example shisha, that will fade during the whole steep but keeps the ripe intact, while fading itself right into correct balance.

Purilums sweet strawberry, my favorite paired with puriliums strawberry ripe and a couple enhancers will hold up during that whole steep. It might or might not contain EM but its defiantly less than TPA strawberry ripe.

After writing this whole novel, but I thought these information might be valuable for the example I used, to understand why I’m doing that or how to prevent that loss. Now obviously if you went overboard with let’s say Bavarian or Vienna cream or additional sweeteners and flavor percentages and your juice is fully muted, no strawberry is going to come for the rescue lol.

What I’m trying to say is, look at other recipes if you not building from scratch, and use your own taste buds to determinate the strength. Use my example or other peoples suggestions and play around with your mixes, if it turns out bad at least you only wasted 10ml but gained experience and practice, as well as understanding of your flavor and recipe, instead of throwing it all in the main bottle and having to dump it down the drain. Waste of a pretty good custard and time it took to steep lol

Never assume that a 8-12% strawberry ripe is the perfect percentage because someone posted it for their recipe, especially if its snv and not meant to stand around for 8 weeks. Neither assume that because you using low percentages, that it will hold up better, both theories don’t work all the time or when paired with different manufacturers and combinations.

To your last question, I have no idea never used JF yet. Hope it helps.

4 Likes

@eStorm thank you so much for your knowledge and advice i greatly appreciate it youre awesome my friend! Im not necessarily new to mixing but i definitely have more to learn. I made and recorded some really good recipes so far but there are still a lot of things that snag me of course and i need the wisdom of others like you to help me and i appreciate that. Just when you think you have an average hold on mixing you get thrown a curve ball and gotta learn more :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

No worries I learned a lot of the things the hard way, but I’m still learning as well, I think if we need to thank somebody, it should be the whole community. Everyone learns something from somebody just by sharing. Others take the time and teach via YouTube, its so much appreciated but mostly not often talked about. There’s not one method, everyone learns or notice different things, but at the end we all get to Rome… Some are faster than others tho :grin:

5 Likes