Coronavirus

Wow, that’s only a few miles from me. I wish I could see the robots crawling around.

A friend I talk to on another forum works in the food industry and this was his fear early on :grimacing:

2 Likes

Perhaps one day they may make “house calls” ?

A California family is speaking out after a doctor via a “robot video” broke the news that their grandfather was going to die. … A prognosis that would have been difficult to accept under any circumstance, became even more painful for the Quintana family of Fremont when the doctor used a robot to deliver the bad news.

When she saw a robot roll in with a doctor on the other side she pulled out her phone and recorded the interaction. Annalisa’s intention was to relate the information to the rest of the family. “He couldn’t understand the man. He couldn’t hear them. The robot couldn’t come all the way in the room. It could only come so far. Because it’s a big machine. It couldn’t come close enough. So there was no bedside manner, there was no compassion. He was reading a script,” said Quintana.

Kaiser Permanente defends its use of technology to treat patients and confirmed that as part of its policy a nurse or a doctor is always in the room. In a statement to ABC7 News, Kaiser said in part, “The evening video conversation was a follow-up to earlier in-person physician visits and was not used in the delivery of the initial diagnosis” and added “We regret that our use of a video call did not meet the Quintana family’s expectations of a compassionate experience.”

:pensive:

1 Like

Dr. Osterholm again

3 Likes

Society really wants things to get back to normalcy…:confused: I get that. However, normalcy in our society will only occur when the majority of the population has been vaccinated against Covid-19. The reality of that scenario is very far off in the future.

Hunker down folks, protect yourself at every turn… if not for yourself, do it for those loved ones around you… do it for the person next to you in the grocery line that you don’t even know… they, perhaps, have loved ones to consider as well. :wink:

As much as I hate to say it… seeing as how my livelihood (live stage theatre) is centered around a heavy social structure (shoulder to shoulder gathering and activity)… the wearing of protective gear and social distancing are the only weapons we have against Covid-19 at the moment. Use those weapons to their fullest extent… the people that love and cherish you will appreciate it! :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Rather than “textbook curves” of neatly “peaked” projections, it looks like a steady “plateau” worldwide:

Source (April 23, 2020): https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200423-sitrep-94-covid-19.pdf

Such incidence behavior (despite measures being taken) would not bode very favorably for the future.

It appears that (worldwide, with US prominent), new CoV-19 cases per day remain fixed at ~80,000.

1 Like

(The New Yorker, April 26, 2020):

Morale at the C.D.C. has plummeted. “For all the responses that I was involved in, there was always this feeling of camaraderie, that you were part of something bigger than yourself,” another former high-ranking C.D.C. official told me. “Now everyone I talk to is so dispirited. They’re working sixteen-hour days, but they feel ignored. I’ve never seen so many people so frustrated and upset and sad. We could have saved so many more lives. We have the best public-health agency in the world, and we know how to persuade people to do what they need to do. Instead, we’re ignoring everything we’ve learned over the last century.”

Seemingly somewhat nervously awaiting the consummate brilliance of the daily Hot Beef Injection:

Source: https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/5e821ced52ad2c00089f4ffe/2:3/w_887,h_1331,c_limit/Anthony-Fauci-and-Deborah-Birx.jpg

(The New Yorker, April 13, 2020):

The Pandemic Is Not a Natural Disaster -
The coronavirus isn’t just a public-health crisis. It’s an ecological one.

(FactCheck, April 27, 2020):

No Evidence That Flu Shot Increases Risk of COVID-19

(MarketWatch, April 27, 2020):

Coronavirus survives longer airborne and travels further in these public spaces -
here’s where to be extra careful

Its life span will … vary, depending on the type of surface, temperature and/or humidity. Bathrooms are a welcoming environment for coronaviruses. “Previous coronaviruses can remain viable in cold, moist surfaces up to nine days,” Ostrosky said. So if you are sharing a home with someone who has coronavirus, he strongly advises against sharing the same bathroom.

Don’t go 'round tonight
It’s bound to take your life,
There’s a [bathroom] on the [right].
-John Fogerty

:mask: :mask: :mask:

1 Like

(NEJM, April 24, 2020):

Asymptomatic Transmission, the Achilles’ Heel of Current Strategies to Control Covid-19

more than half the residents of this skilled nursing facility (27 of 48) who had positive tests were asymptomatic at testing. Moreover, live coronavirus clearly sheds at high concentrations from the nasal cavity even before symptom development. Although the investigators were not able to retrospectively elucidate specific person-to-person transmission events and although symptom ascertainment may be unreliable in a group in which more than half the residents had cognitive impairment, these results indicate that asymptomatic persons are playing a major role in the transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Symptom-based screening alone failed to detect a high proportion of infectious cases and was not enough to control transmission in this setting. The high mortality (>25%) argues that we need to change our current approach for skilled nursing facilities in order to protect vulnerable, enclosed populations until other preventive measures, such as a vaccine or chemoprophylaxis, are available.

There are approximately 1.3 million Americans currently residing in nursing homes. … Asymptomatic transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is the Achilles’ heel of Covid-19 pandemic control through the public health strategies we have currently deployed. Symptom-based screening has utility, but epidemiologic evaluations of Covid-19 outbreaks within skilled nursing facilities such as the one described by Arons et al. strongly demonstrate that our current approaches are inadequate.

Good old Kaiser… They really are on the cutting edge of idiocy. Either that or it’s simply so much indifference that it looks as if they’re planning to be indifferent ahead of schedule.

Lest readers ever dare to perhaps doubt Kaiser’s staunch commitment to “humanitarian care”:

In 2006 Kaiser settled five cases for alleged patient dumping - the delivery of homeless hospitalized patients to other agencies or organizations in order to avoid expensive medical care - between 2002 and 2005.

UVC light… It works supposedly. I can tell you what it does to white paint on a wooden toilet seat.

UV. Really a great idea for “Retinal Therapy”, too. (Someday), folks will lionize “Doctor Hydroxy” ! :crazy_face:

Source: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoU7buQXYAAGp1q.jpg

2 Likes

UVC works, but you better not be near it when it’s on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Is that my official name? It also damages deep epidermal tissue too. The light would have to have a sensitive motion detector outside the door to turn it off.

No (see the “King of Space and Time”, above). Sounds like a kinky twist on the “house of blue lights”.

He’s right. It has an ultra short wavelength. It’s getting close to microwave frequencies. Hey, that’s an idea!!! one word @Raven-Knightly… Magnatron…

Doug, as you likely well know, the respectful, decorous way to spell it would have been “MAGA-CON”.
:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Meh… how about Megatron? If a Decepticon can’t kill it, we really do need help?

:sneezing_face:

Hey, they sent a robot to that lady’s house??? Send a damn Transformer, at least…

I switched from a breakfast of Chumpions to a heaping bowl of Magma Crumbs and Groat Clusters.
:wink:

1 Like