Coronavirus

@Raven-Knightly
Lesson learned. Sorry

1 Like

Better to be ignorant of a matter than half know it.
-Publilius Syrus

It belongs to the self-respect of intellect to pursue every tangle of thought to its final unravelment.
-Alfred North Whitehead

That knowledge which stops at what it does not know, is the highest knowledge.
-Chuang Tzu

3 Likes

(The Atlantic, March 24, 2020):
What Happens If Health-Care Workers Stop Showing Up? - Unless the country does dramatically more to provide them with the equipment they need to do their job safely, it risks disaster

1 Like

That gains you more cred than anything. This is a crazy time. It’s been pretty crazy for awhile, but this is peak. It’s easy to believe there’s a War for your mind. We’re all neck deep in disinformation. Look around. Just put it out on Twitter that we’re running out of toilet paper and what happens? …we run out. Getting granular seems like something you have a grip on. It’s good to listen to your gut, but maybe not good to listen to other people’s guts :wink: As the laziest person myself I struggle filtering through the firehose of information, but keeping it :100: is my want.

All the CrAzY is actually very exciting …maybe even a little entertaining. Hey? That’s how I ended out a parent. Don’t look for the bullshit …look for the little squirmy worm on a sparkly hook. The BS happens on your way gettin reeled into the boat …and it’s not your boat. Assembling all the little truths, just like data points on a chart, usually point somewhere you can believe in. It’s all about good data then? Welcome to ELR Brofessor :beers:

2 Likes

Turn to the Nerds ?:nerd_face:We cannot define “intelligence”, anyway - so let’s synthesize it !

(WIRED, March 28, 2020):
AI Can Help Find Scientists Find a Covid-19 Vaccine - Artificial intelligence has already played a vital role in the outbreak since day 1 - a reminder for the first time in a while that it can be a tool for good

2 Likes

(NPR, March 28, 2020):
WHO Reviews ‘Available’ Evidence On Coronavirus Transmission Through Air

Source: https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2020/03/28/gettyimages-515328992-6da9ee93cf2d10fdd175af70f6cca2637721d3b7-s1400-c85.jpg

(Gallows humor from the US Epicenter of the Storm). Given the 1-day persistence (reported by one study) on cardboard - and the local wherehouse “positive”, it makes me think that Amazon might want to avoid sales descriptions like “Drop Dead Stone Cold Savings with our Prime 1-Day Delivery” ! … :clown_face:

2 Likes

I mentioned “Joggers” before. Any higher incidence of +cases being joggers? I mean that’s what I think when I see them covering distance consuming mass quantities of air. No?

2 Likes

It’s all about “relative antigen density” and “proboscis” location, location, location. “New” air (may) be OK

In the bitter end, it is (IMO) all going to come down to “herd immunity” in the Trumpian Hunger Games:

Source: https://a57.foxnews.com/media2.foxnews.com/BrightCove/694940094001/2019/04/25/931/524/694940094001_6029963845001_6029961465001-vs.jpg

2 Likes
3 Likes

Failure is always an option. Without failure intelligence never becomes wisdom.
- My dad

" There are lies, damn lies, statistics, then politicians… in that order"
-Professor Fredda, 1954- 2003, Head of the Engineering department, University of Pittsburgh, Engineering program and my friend

Mr. Comer, Engineers don’t assume. The moment they do that they get lazy. However, if you have to do everything, why are they paying the other 8 people??? Your job is to do the math and extrapolate from it. Their job is to get you the right damn data!
-Professor Fredda, 1954- 2003, Head of the Engineering department, University of Pittsburgh, Engineering program and my friend

Being right is when math and reality binds seamlessly. Being wrong is when you leave your soda to close to your laptop…
-my unfortunate education over time

I love having the time to read philosophy.However, I was always to busy bitching theoretical scientists because they have no clue how to apply “fudge factors” (predictably unpredictable anomalies).

The only time I say I never mess up is when I have totally destroyed it by accident.

1 Like

What’s the problem here??? I don’t see any obstacle a Buffalo NY highway snowplow can’t fix at about 60 mph with the blade off the ground 3"

What?? a little fur, some thunking, the smell of a lot of sheep shit and in about 35 seconds you have a 2 lane highway open :grin:

P.S. ok… the smell of a LOT of sheep shit but it might deter you from doing the job. Get some frebreeze…

Your screed has caught the attention of my significant other, Dottie, the hot rising breakout star of, “Golden Fleece - Don’t You Dare Get Snotty with Dottie the Hottie”, and lead singer in the exciting new thrash-mutton band, “Montana Methane Mommas”. She wonders if you (may perhaps) have an anti-sheeple personality disorder ? At any rate, she says that she would like to “sniff your manly scents” :clown_face:

Dottie’s favorite snack is Hearth Braised Manchops smothered in a Sprinkled Cinnamon Apple Butter !

:yum:

3 Likes

I guess Polo was a flat, square virus is why Jonas Salk and Albert Bruce Sabin were able to come up with a vaccine for it so fast??? (actually it took years but wth…google a vaccine works to I guess?)

Total block in Spain from tomorrow. Only essential services. We will see how it goes.

4 Likes

hey,
to a Buffalo snowplow during a lake effect snowfall with the driver only having 4 hrs of sleep… It tastes the same to the plow as the last 451 did… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

@Gus6
So basically martial law? I hope it slows it down.

Did anyone ever imagine we’d be in the middle of something like this 10 years ago???

@Raven-Knightly
Can this disease be cultured? If so, culture some up then put it into a high vacuum environment for 10 minutes and inject what’s left into the body. There’s that, then UV-C the cell until its medium well dead and inject it too??? I must be missing something… Leave the pitri dish in a dehydrator over night or put it in a steel container and put it under a high vacuum for 15 minutes.

If it’s still alive after that then we’re going to have to get serious!

Congratulations on the publishing of your One Millionth Post, Doug ! You have achieved virtual Nirvana. As the Samsaric corporeal drama was but a passing dream, no need to worry about wordly extinctions. The Coronavirus was never definably alive in the first place. No worry. Enjoy the unconditioned cosmos!

Ganesha

1 Like

It’s a hard way out of hell but we did it to ourselves, WE’RE AT THE POINT OF NO RETURN!

WHERE DO WE GO, GO FROM HERE! HOLD OUR BREATHS OR DISAPPEAR!!!
no where to run, no where to run…ohhho.

NOW THAT WE’RE ALL OUT OF TIME! ONE LAST STAND TO MAKE IT RIGHT!!!
no where to run. no where to run…

STARING DOWN THE BARREL OF A GUN!
no where to run, no where to run

THEY CAN FEEL A BURNING IN THEIR LUNGS!
no where to run, no where to run,

-----NO WHERE TO RUN!!!-----

Written by: PANDEMIC 2020
Produced by: (TO BE DETERMINED)
Vocal Artists: THE WORLD POPULATION
lyrics by:THE CURE

my guess is this will be flagged as inappropriate but is it?

1 Like

People nearing retirement age (50 to 69 years old)
The important stats on the people entering their golden years:
In Spain, out of 6,045 cases from this cohort, 2,166 people have been hospitalized, a 36 percent hospitalization rate; 221 went to the ICU, a 3.7 percent rate; and 83 people ages 50 to 69 have died, a 1.4 percent fatality rate.

That’s quite a high “hospitalization rate” (36%) - though the “fatality rate” is (presently) similar to US.

Seniors (70 years old and older)
The important stats on older individuals:
In Spain, out of 6,152 cases from this group, 3,388 people have been hospitalized, a 55 percent hospitalization rate; 199 went to the ICU, a 3.2 percent rate; and 705 people ages 70 and older have died, a 11.4 percent fatality rate.

Source: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/23/21190033/coronavirus-covid-19-deaths-by-age

(From the US Epicenter in Seattle, WA), best to you, my friend. Guard/protect your physical health !

4 Likes