Cottonless Builds

I’ve seen some things (not) here and there on the internet talking about cottonless builds using ss mesh instead of traditional wicking. I was wondering if anyone here, with much more knowledge than I about this subject, has tried them, and what results were produced.
Thanks!

1 Like

Here’s a little reading for you

6 Likes

Thank you, I’m on it.

1 Like

Most mesh wick builds are used in old school Genesis tanks. Not the type that are currently proliferating the market. Those are designed for cotton. Thare are quite a few Youtube videos that show how to build with mesh wicks.

1 Like

I think the liquid would just burn in newer setups, might work at very low watts but I wouldn’t recommend it

2 Likes

There’s no dedicated thread on mesh wicks over here, as far as I know - except for the one on mesh as heating material. I would always recommend giving it a try, especially if you enjoy working the fire or are into mtl vaping and looking for flavour (obviously, since you’re on ELR :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).
Beware, though, mesh is not for wattages above 50, I’d say. Personally, I think you don’t need that much wattage anyway, not even more dtl, but maybe that’s just me.
@Grubby it is possible, but you need to do a little trick. The main problem with mesh and higher wattages is that the juice flow in a mesh wick is slower than with cotton/rayon. I found that one medium length, solid, 2.5 ID wick (like the one you’d put into the small Origen 2) can take about 24W lung hitting - go above and you get dry hits too easily. So, when you want, say, 60 or 70 watts, you use three wicks and three coils. Sure, you can’t easily do that in most gennies (mostly 2 wicks max), but I’ve seen some really funky ShenRay clones that can take up to 6 or 8 wicks…:sweat_smile:

Examples: caution, slow links>> Corona (22mm, I think, 2x2 wicks) and the Genelocity Giant (32.5mm, 2x4 wicks!).

Anyhow, for mesh knowledge I recommend heading over to ECF.:wink: You can ask me, too, of course.

2 Likes

I tried it. Didn’t like it cause it was too much trouble and ended up sending everything to ozo

1 Like

Yes, and ozo says thanks, and is happily enjoying it in a couple of Goons.
One at 19.5W and the other at 22.5W

2 Likes

Thanks to the Taifun BT’s arrival, I have just realized I misinterpreted the Corona and Genelocity Giant! :weary: They’re not meant for mesh as a wick, but instead suck juice from the tank to your cotton wicks on top with steel cables (just like the new Taifun). Sorry…

1 Like