Custard Lover (I married it)

I run the GC on most mixes…, however… it does take some time still…, try this out if u have a gc… @ least 3 days steeping…, but hey, it cuts a lot of the wait time out! I have tried it with a few different single flavors & quite a few mixes & it seems like flavors still somewhat mature over those 3 days of resting…
Edit: I don’t have a USC to try it after using, but I’m usually running the gc & then wait for it to degas & then I let my bottle sit @ least 3 days…

12 Likes

I also found a way to extract and do NETs with the GC, not ot be confused with an homogenizer or FSH2A or similar things, specs and tolerances for our game are a lot different, we built our own all in one GC but not cheap and tolerances are down to microns, and lots of issues to solve, but it has a great cavitation that’s what we need, I’ll never thank Dan and Ogre enough for starting all this!

Going back to custards, even with the GC you have to give them 3 days, @St3v0 is absolutely right, but I think that if steeped too much, vanilla is going to fade, or defo loose “power”.

A lot depends on the manufacturer, we have to know what we are dealing with, the new FA’s both 1 and 2 or INW IMHO are quite potent, and I think they still need 3 weeks, at 2 weeks they are formed, but the further week brings them to its fullest.
My 2c.

10 Likes

Yeah, the game changer does make a definite difference but on some mixes it still takes a few days. Fruit mixes are basically done in a day, creams and custards a few days.

Anyone wondering why just watch the Phil Brusardo interview at Flavour Art, at one point they say that VG is a bad carrier of flavor, it is why steeping is so important. The game changer cuts that time by first warming up the VG so it is less viscous (that means less thick, more viscosity) then slamming all the ingredients together quicker.

Steeping is just the process of merging all the ingredients together with the thick VG, the game changer cuts that time down considerably. Anyone who questions that has just never tried it, I trust what Flavour Art has to say over those people.

14 Likes

I steep all of my custard recipes for at least two months before I try them, some I have left for four and five months and they have been some of the best I’ve had. I just always make sure that I have a good rotation going on in the steep cabinet so that I always have juice that’s ready to vape and I’m never forced to use one that’s not at its best. I like all of my mixes steeped for at least a week even fruity ones.

12 Likes

I agree 100%. One of my mixes takes 2 weeks to steep properly if left alone. The GC takes about a week off. Maybe more - I’ve never really played with the timing. I should try it with a tobacco mix as they usually take a month or more, but the tobacco flavors have never been my thing.

9 Likes

Well the steep brings joy.

Although, I have gotten bored of custards and love being refreshed by the alternatives: Kinako Soy rules for Asian candy. A 2 parts Greek Yoghurt to 1 part Brie Cheese dominates cream and Starch with a touch of anything covers the rest.

But I am just sick and tired of all bakeries and desserts insisting about having vanilla.

Vanilla seems to be a universal masking note.

7 Likes

Would my steeping time of custards be less since I mix 70%PG?

4 Likes

Oh yeah, most definitely :+1: This is why not much flavors are offered in a VG base, most being PG based.

7 Likes

I haven’t tried any custards, but sure am wanting to after reading this (and other) posts. What would you recommend as a ballpark steeping time, with a 70% PG juice?

5 Likes

All steeps faster and tastes better at that ratio.

5 Likes

That would be an interesting experiment to try, not many mix at such a high PG ratio. I always like to try my new mixes fresh, then in a week or 2 then a month. Gives me an idea of the changes along the way.

7 Likes

I am going to try this now…I have never gone the opposite way…you are on to something…, on to something

5 Likes

Looking back, it seems like a month-long steep is what is generally used for custards. So would you say 1/2 that for my PG level?

4 Likes

Well it is a slow and expensive quest to go down this road, But the yoghurt rule is just a glorious one: 0.5% Greek Yoghurt to 0.25% Brie (as a start) makes one hell of a base to build on. But still needs that magic month of steeping.

6 Likes

Is the Greek Yogurt + Brie to make a really dense yogurt or to make a custard? Did I miss a post somewhere? :confused:

4 Likes

I makes a creamy yoghurt base. It’s an alternative to just having custard as an extra to all.

6 Likes

I don’t have Brie, but I have the Greek Yogurt, excuse me, yoghurt. ← Didn’t realize it was spelled different over there. I’ll have to add Brie to my cart. Yogurt + fruit sounds like a good vape. :smiley:

5 Likes

It is glorious with a fine fruit mix. I added it to make my own variant of @Rocky02852’s Milk and Honey and I loved the more ‘adult’ depth it brought. A link to his is in mine.

Oh, I use my own spelling in a vain hope that it survives.

6 Likes

I really wouldn’t know how long a 70% PG mix would take since I never tried it. It will steep faster but different mixes will have different steep times so there is no hard and fast rule. I think it is INW Custard that many feel steeps fast and other custards that take much longer. So many factors that goes into it it is hard to say for sure.

I think at alltheflavors.com it has a Custard Now recipe that is said to steep quickly. I don’t think I have ever tried it. I do have a custard recipe that a friend vapes right away, don’t have it on ELR or I would post it.

Edit: Here is the Custard Now recipe: Custard NOW recipe | All The Flavors

5 Likes

I actually vape a custard called The Game Changer by SensoryOverload on here. In fact I am vaping it right now, and I make 460ml of it at a time. It is my stable ADV. The other being Bust-a-Nut by Alishia.

It only needs a seven day steep for me. One of the reasons is I use a 50/50 mix of Cap vanilla custard V1 and V2 for a custom flavor. No need for any kind of homogenizers’.

6 Likes