Custards ... You're favorite custard mix and maybe a recipe?

So custards really don’t sound appealing to me but since I am fairly new to vaping I’m thinking maybe I am missing out on some good mixes. I made a berry mix with some fresh cream and sweetener in it and loved it! Does a creamy mix taste about the same as a custard or is it totally different taste?

I tried a custard mix at work a couple weeks ago for the first time and seriously about gagged. The guy who had it loved it but I thought it was awful, but since I have never tried one before that I had nothing to compare it too … maybe it was awful and he just had bad taste … :confused:

So I would like to hear what your favorite custard mix is? And if ya have a favorite recipe could ya please share it so I can try it out?

Thanks!

8 Likes

Some people love custard and some people hate it, there doesnt seem to be much of an in between with it. Personally i will not even consider vaping anything made with Butyric Acid which is the replacement for the Diacetyl flavorings. Butyic Acid smells like vomit (there is a reason for this) but some people love it.

Here is one of mine:

Strawnana Custard

10% Vanilla Custard (CAP)
4% Strawberry (Ripe) (TFA)
4% Banana Cream (LA)
3% Sweet Strawberry (CAP)

The Banana Cream (LA) is the colorless version that can be purchased from @CatHouseVapor
This vendor is quite active in the community so order with confidence knowing that you are getting a great price and quality product.

Hope you enjoy!

8 Likes

Ken_O_Where is right, the Diacetylmorphine does taste different than the Butyic Acid version but it’s all subjective so buy what you are comfortable with.
Also, that’s a nice looking recipe with the blend of Strawberries.

6 Likes

Since we are talking about custards id like to share a little something. I pulled a bottle of my Simple Custard off the shelf, it is 3 months old and the longest i have ever cured this particular custard blend. So i rewick and get to vaping only to realize realize i use WAY to much custard in some of my mixes. In Strawnana it is balanced well but in some of the plainer mixes i need to reduce the %'s a lot. This particular mix is 14% Vanilla Custard V1 (CAP) mixed with Vanillin, Simply Vanilla (CAP) and Cheesecake (LA). While it is very tasty when first mixed it didnt cure very well. Ive been vaping this for almost a year now but never cured it longer than a couple weeks. I can see how it would be totally off putting to the vast majority of people.

So when you get into mixing custards and plan to cure them for long periods of time keep this in mind.

@CatHouseVapor thank you kindly! It is one of my more popular recipes, enough so that i found people selling it. I use the mix of SB’s to get a more realistic SB flavor. The Ripe (TFA) adds the smell i want and the SB (CAP) adds the sweet SB flavor. And of course SB and Banana is a great flavor combination in both food and vapes.

6 Likes

Yes, we have also found a long steep time is much needed for Custards. We have tried and tried to heat steep and other methods, ruining them in the process.

We too blend Strawberries for the reasons you listed.

You’re also right about the Custard %'s depending on what the fruit or other supporting flavor(s) is.

4 Likes

I agree, nothing is better than time for curing eliquids. I gave up on all the speed curing methods a long while ago.

I assumed that since i was using no supporting fruit flavorings that i would need more custard, that assumption was totally incorrect. This is a great tasting juice if vaped shortly after mixing but the curing process brings out notes that are not there when vaped soon after mixing. It is not awful or anything but i now understand why my wife complains (not with words but facial expressions) when i am vaping it around her. Im going to start by cutting the VC V1 in half and lowering the Cheesecake (LA) just a bit while bringing up the Vanilla’s %'s.

In the meantime ill add a little VG and see what happens. Fortunately i take a LOT of notes so i know exactly what is in it which will allow me to adjust the recipe easily.

5 Likes

Thanks guys … I appreciate the comments!

Ken that recipe does look yummy, except maybe for the banana, not a big banana fan. Think I could substitute some fresh or sweet cream for it? Looks like I should have everything except the custard. I’ll throw some in on my next order.

I checked out CatHouseVapor’s store. Good selection and the prices are good too. I have mostly been using FlavourArt but I like the TFA concentrates as well and the cheaper price for them is always a plus.

4 Likes

I’m still on the fence with the custard thing. Maybe I haven’t steeped them long enough or I just mixed badly, but I did three mixes (two with Cap v1 and one with Cap v2) and didn’t love any of them. I’m gonna let em sit awhile longer and try them again. We’ll see. :smile:

4 Likes

My own:

G Vanilla Custardy II : http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/14806/G+Vanilla+Custardy+II

2.5% Dulce de Leche (TPA)
0.5% Ethyl Maltol 10%
1% French Vanilla (TPA)
8% Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)

Flavor total: 12%
Remember to rate it at: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/r/5W6

It needs to steep at least two weeks - it’s not that spectacular, but it’s the only recipe that I have vaped continuously every day for more than a year - so I guess it tickles something in me :smile:

11 Likes

Must be yummmy then. Thanks, I’ll give it a try!

3 Likes

The banana cream really brings it together. To be perfectly honest i have never tried a variation of this recipe, sat down and mixed it up, the wife vaped it and told me i can never change anything about it. IF, please dont tell her im even suggesting this, i were to sit down and mix it without the banana cream i would up the SB’s 1% each, knock the custard down a bit and then add Bavarian Cream (LA) in the 1-1.5% range.

5 Likes

It is VERY good.

2 Likes

Thanks Ken! I will give it a try. Gonna be a couple weeks before I can afford my next order but I will let ya know what I think.

And I promise not to tell your wife :wink:

5 Likes

Any thoughts on TPA cheesecake or TPA butterscotch as a Custard Butterscotch mix.
I live this CAP vanilla custard & I love butterscotch I’m just uncertain as to how much to start with butterscotch wise in a Custard mix

2 Likes

I know I’m not the @Shaner, but I love the TFA cheesecake and use it at roughly 4% in a mix. However, I tossed my TFA butterscotch down the drain; unusable for me. Perhaps you will find it enjoyable…taste is subjective!

2 Likes

I’d switch to a different butterscotch & have bee thinking about flavor west.
I mixed up some G.Custard last night & filled a tank ill say again the Cap vanilla custard is a great flavor.

@Jimk I’ve got cheesecake (graham crust) tpa,
I have hopes of a butterscotch custard, I found one last night & mixed it “like a sir clone”, hopefully it’ll be decent.
Do you know of a better butterscotch flavor?

2 Likes

I think the consensus around here is that Flavor West has the best butterscotch. I haven’t tried it, but I believe it. It seems like they really do stuff like that well. Their Salted Caramel is one of my go to flavors and I’m getting a kick out of the Salty Butter Balls. Butter Rum and Toffee Dream Cream are also supposed to be really good.

5 Likes

Thanks I thought from reading that FW had the be butterscotch & caramel flavors.
Although a few speak well of Carmel candy TPA.

So looks like a lil flavow west needs to come my way
Butterscotch
Salted caramel
Butter balls
Butter rum
Toffee Dream Cream
What’s butter balls like?
I just got cake batter dip & yellow cake.
Thanks JoJo

3 Likes

I think the Salty Butter Balls is supposed to be a chocolate, peanut butter, caramel mix. It’s pretty good so far, but I haven’t used it a whole lot yet. I really like Caramel Candy TPA as well. I used it as a sweetener exclusively until I got marshmallow and salted caramel. I still use it a lot mixed with FA Caramel and/or FW Salted Caramel.

5 Likes

Here try this: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/r/12ad

There are no substitutions for anything listed here if you want the true experience.

Super delicious with SS coils and really good with kanthal

4 Likes