Dan The Man Building a Computer?

It’s all together. The only prob. now is, I don’t have a vdi cable. I just ordered it and hopefully it will be here by mon or tue.

That was the hardest part. I agonized over that for a couple of hours but I am pretty sure I have it right.

Good advice, I did not know you could do that.

4 Likes

Yes, you can do that, it will work if the components are OK but obviously just to a degree. With just the CPU you will probably get beep codes or flashing LEDs and when you look them up they are warnings that there is no RAM for example. Then you plug in the RAM and the codes will change. Once you worked your way up to the graphics card you get errors on the screen and so on…

Are you going to use Windows?

4 Likes

I am still debating that. I feel like maybe I should because that is all I know but I would like to use Linux but I don’t know how long it will take me to learn and I need to be able to use it right away.

3 Likes

Well, that’s always a hard decision to make.
If you go Windows, get a pro license and don’t use a Microsoft account on the installation. Then answer EVERY question it asks during the installation with NO :smiley:

If you want to go Linux make sure you use a distribution with a lot of support or one that somebody you know is using.

If you want to go dual boot I would select to disk to boot from manually via F12 during the boot process. Otherwise Windows or Linux will install some kind of boot manager which is sometimes hard to get rid of.

4 Likes

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but…

Seriously think about getting another one -SSD- (same model and size) and set them up as RAID 1 Mirroring. Before you start installing OS and all the software. It’s saved me maybe months of pain (re installing and tweaking setting over and over again) when Ive had disks crash and die over the years.

If you have any problems with the disk (during post or a power outage shut down) it will rebuild the mirror so it’s backed up. In a semi-bad case of a Fatal Disk crash of 1 disk. Then all you’ld have to do is buy another SSD, pop it in and it will rebuild the new disk to once again mirror the other disk. But if something really bad happens and both disks are fried, only then would you have to reinstall your whole OS and software’s

Good luck and congrats - Im jealous! :grinning:

5 Likes

@Dan_the_Man, sorry had to run out. If you insert the GPU into the MB it will work, but you need to be able to pipe the video signal from your vid card, to the monitor. If your monitor doesn’t have an HDMI, or a Display Port input, you should probably get a new monitor. Most adapters (they make them) are only just good enough.

3 Likes

I was going to suggest the same thing. When I upgraded my old VGA 17" to a high res 21" with HDMI the difference was incredible. The cost is way cheaper now than they were a few years ago so you can get a helluva lot more bang for the buck.

4 Likes

LOL dude, I have no idea what that means. I mean, I understand that I could wreck it but I’ll have to research what RAID 1 Mirroring is.

Thank you, sir.

oh ya, is it possible to get windows 10 without paying for it? What I mean is, can I load it and not go all the way? I heard something about this but I didn’t understand. Supposedly, if you don’t mind not being able to hide your taskbar and having a watermark.

@Bad_Influence I edited this with a question I’m sure wasn’t there when you read the post.

4 Likes

I don’t know how Windows works in an unlicensed state, it’s possible that it works for you but I don’t know which functions will be limited.
Just get a license key off ebay, they are lets say 95% legal and only cost 5 or 10 pounds in the UK. They are OEM keys, one of the one I bought off ebay only worked for a couple of weeks but PaqyPal took care of that for me. I just bought another one anyway but from another vendor.
It was either that or finally moving away from Windows. I’m not going to pay over 100 pounds for an operating system which is doing more marketing than actual computing. All the work to shut Windows up is bad enough and with Windows 10 it got much harder to do this.
The problem is the lack of alternative. Apple are the same and the Linux community is shattered into a million factions who all say their distribution is the best and if you use something else I can’t help you. Still after 30 years or so it requires a geek factor most people just don’t have or want.

5 Likes

Just wanted to say good for you and good luck! I tried offering online help once, got frustrated and went over to the persons house. Got the thing working but ended up eating the client. Didn’t work out that well.

7 Likes

So… the old adage, “No good deed goes unpunished” went right out the window that day, huh! At least you got a meal for your trouble that day! :joy:

5 Likes

Ya, it was ok. I was a little bum because he didn’t have any horseradish in the fridge.

5 Likes

@Dan_the_Man RAID = Redundant Array of Independent Disks

It gets as stupid as you let it …

• RAID 0 – striping
  • RAID 1 – mirroring
  • RAID 5 – striping with parity
  • RAID 6 – striping with double parity
  • RAID 10 – combining mirroring and striping
3 Likes

There was a point in time (quite a while actually) where you could get w10 for free, but as a downloadable upgrade to w7.

Anything outside of the above is probably discussing less than legit methods. And to boot, less than secure (meaning: you risk injected code, backdoors, etc).

You can catch w10 on sale (at Newegg) for as little as $70 on sale… But even then, it’s a crap OS IMO. W7 while no longer officially supported is a better OS. Either that or look into Linux as mentioned above.

5 Likes

Poppycock :smiley:
The licenses either work or they don’t. If you buy a license key from ebay it’s most likely an oem key. With Windows 10 you download the same install image from microsoft and the license key determines the version of Windows. So you install Windows from the latest image you download and when you type the license key it unlocks whatever version the key is for. This way you can change the license type on an existing installation.

But whatever you do, avoid the Windows 10 Home edition unless you get it for free.

5 Likes

That’s what I’m planning on doing with my next compy build. I really liked windows 7, it’s a damn shame what they did with 8 and then 10. Everything about the new layout just irks me to no end.

6 Likes

There’s a LOT of people in that camp. 7 was great, 8 was WTF, and 10 got rammed down a lot of throats, forcing a lot of people to look elsewhere.

6 Likes

Or someone violating the agreement on their TechNet subscription. chuckles

6 Likes

Yeah they are the ones that stop working after a week :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah, they really dumbed it down.

6 Likes