Dan The Man Building a Computer?

But they’re closing that hole anyway. With most subscriptions you can now only license the copy of Windows out of the IP range of the company. If I nicked a key from school I couldn’t use it unless I bring the computer into the office and install it there.

5 Likes

@Dan_the_Man I forgot to mention another aspect of the Display Port connector/cable. Nvidia, and AMD (Radeon) both offer Syncing on their mid/higher level cards. I don’t know if you’re gaming or not, but most times, GSync (Nvidia), and Freesync (AMD) work best, and at higher frequencies over Display Port as opposed to the HDMI.

If you’re not a heavy gamer loss of sync or tearing isn’t going to be an issue for you. I’m not sure what monitor/cable you picked out.

3 Likes

Good Luck @Dan_the_Man on your build, I kinda miss Windows 95, I still got the same user name and same email address LOL , remember AOL dial up, haha :crazy_face:
https://bigthink.com/brandon-weber/remember-windows-95-now-you-can-download-it-for-free

2 Likes

Don’t feel alone @Rocky02852, I still have my original Micron Millenia w./ SCSI bus drives. Boots DOS and W95.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, the old Micron Millenia, PC Magazine Editors Choice! I don’t remember what I got, and don’t feel like climbing up into the attic right now!
I do remember subscribing to PC MAG though🤪

4 Likes

And in the process they obfuscated nearly EVERY SINGLE functional piece of software!

GRRRRRRR!!

5 Likes

When I hear a Win95 sound i get kind nostalgic but i certainly don’t miss the driver installations and the interrupt problems.

5 Likes

Hehe yeah @Rocky02852, the damned interupts !!!

4 Likes

Think ahead for the 80s!

5 Likes

Holy shit, 28A power supply !!!

3 Likes

Yeah that’s not as much as it sounds, you just don’t get the Amp values onto the PSUs these days. 28A on 12 Volts give you 336 watts. But don’t quote me on that, I’m on thin ice here…

5 Likes

LMAO! Right???
Nowadays you’ve got that on one rail… :rofl:

6 Likes

You do with most of the reputable brands… :wink:
Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, etc

Or at least the last three I bought did. But it’s been a minute. chuckles

4 Likes

Throwing in my 2c for the heck of it. I used to work as a computer tech during summers.

The most common cause of self build PC failures is people is people screwing the motherboard straight to the case without spacers ( yeah, I was speechless the first time i saw that)

Careful with edge connectors, it is easier than you think to have them not fully inserted. Them DDR4 sticks tend to be very tight fit on new motherboards. PCIe less of a problem. You don’t have nvme, so you don’t have to deal with the issues of this format ( not saying that any of them is bad, just that the only foolproof connector I have seen in the past few years is laptop SODIMM)

Make sure to connect all required PSU connectors to the motherboard. These days, the big ATX connector is normally not all there is. Most graphics cards have direct PSU connections as well

Last word of advice, careful when removing radiators. The thermal grease will attach the top of the CPU package rather firmly against the rad base, specially if you have done everything right. Specially with the huge rads that are common nowadays, and with processors that still use pins rather than balls, it is really easy to tear of or bend pins when trying to remove the radiator and instead removing the cpu as well ( not that I had to straighten 50 odd pins on my ryzen 2700x last month)

Nice build, the AMD processors, specially third gen Ryzens are a really good deal!
If you check the bios, the memory will likely not be running at full speed by default, you’ll have to pick the right XMP profile for this to happen. I think it is less of a problem on zen2, but it made quite q bit of difference on zen/zen+ as the inter core communication appears to be done based on memory frequency!

6 Likes

Something like this
https://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_2&lv0=1&lv1=52&no=318
has 4 30A and 2 20A rails.

Still looks like a standard format PSU.

5 Likes

Haha! So either I haven’t looked at anything more than the sticker on the box or I haven’t used reputable brands!
:rofl:

5 Likes

[quote=“SuperFrog, post:54, topic:241463”]
The most common cause of self build PC failures is people screwing the motherboard straight to the case without spacers ( yeah, I was speechless the first time I saw that)

Oh man, I started to put the MB in just like that at first because the video I was watching didn’t even mention that. I hope I did not ruin it because I started putting it in without the spacers and I noticed it flex. I thought “this can’t be right” and when in search of how to do it which was the smart thing to do because the video I found told me why there was a spacer in the middle with a male end sticking out of it.

4 Likes

Do you mean these brass hex socket spacers? Is it even possible without them? The board must be bending from the cpu fan holders but that may prevent further accidents because the board can’t make electrical contact with the enclosure on too many spots at a time :rofl:

5 Likes

In some of the cases out there, it is. Or worse, some folks who tend to go in ‘heavy handed’ will torque the board down (without the hex spacers) so tight that they actually flex the mobo (potentially creating broken sections in the multilayer pcb without even having applied power). :cry:

Fortunately, those instances are rarer now that most people have learned to look up a tutorial video beforehand.

5 Likes

Well, what would people like that do with a (working) computer anyway?
:roll_eyes:

4 Likes