Deliberately down-voting recipes?

So what’s the deal if you spot what looks like someone deliberately down-voting a recipe to get their own rated higher?

Dirty tactics?

2 Likes

Any Examples? :wink:

messaged you @Grubby

You could pm Jojo.

I remember a thread awhile ago discussing this. It’s unfortunate. It happens on both sides. A recpie gets posted and then a bunch of five star ratings are given the day after posting for a recpie that would need a very long steep.

3 Likes

Just seems very underhanded if it was deliberate.

Despicable even.

1 Like

@daath Is it possible to force a user to leave a comment when they rate a recipe?
This would probably solve the whole “1 star rating to push a recipe down” situation

7 Likes

Yes, that will be implemented at some point!

18 Likes

I dont know why I even asked :wink:
Keep being awesome!

5 Likes

I’ve done that, but then the recipe had already been posted here when still private and by the time it was made public it had steeped long enough for a rating.
I know what you mean though, it does happen both ways. Friends voting up recipes without trying them out first and others rating one star for recipes they haven’t tried yet. Some people are so hung up on ratings that they stoop to these kind of tactics to get ahead. It’s a shame because it basically makes the rating system useless.

7 Likes

Problem will be solved… :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t understand why. There’s nothing to gain with a high rated recipe other than a sad attempt to fix the inferiority problems one must have if they’re purposely down voting actual good recipes to make their own look better.

8 Likes

Have to agree there, most ive used are other peoples excellent recipes, I have changed a few flavours to the ones I have, but otherwise, Ive only played with a few that im going to do, or need advice on if it will work, being newish and finding my feet.
Also im hopeless at note keeping, ( I do aim to get better at that, hopefully)
Plus I think my pallet ism=nt anywhere near like the pro’s on here, as I cant tell much, lol
But hope everyone keeps up there excellent work and Ill keep ploding on my way

5 Likes

That is just sad.

3 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with single flavor percentages and when I hit my sweet spot I post it like it was a recipe. I’ve noticed them being rated down also. In my opinion single flavor recipes should not be allowed to be rated at all, its really not a recipe but just a single flavor recommendation. also I really wouldn’t mind someone rating it down if they left a comment like “I don’t like Fuji Apples so I gave it a 1” or even “I don’t like you so I gave you a 1 for your stupid marshmallow recipe”. [quote=“Maureeenie, post:13, topic:82763”]
just sad.
[/quote]
Ya I’m sad too, starting to think I should just use the calculator and keep my work private.

3 Likes

“But maybe someone will discover me and pay me millions for my juice recipes!”

Erm…no. And definitely not after you already gave them your recipes scot free.

Ratings dont mean much to me… I can usually spot a good one and Inever go on the rating. Although its nice to see somerone else liked your mix… There are …what…40,000 recipes… If I post a recipe…its because I thought it was worth sharing… Ill put 5 stars on it…lol… I only rate recipes i think are good.
Too much hype over ratings… If you have even a little bit of knowledge… Which you should have doing DIY… It should be easy to spot the ones you dont like… Everyones taste and perception is different…

1 Like

I think Lars can control some of it? Like limit someone to down voting to once a day? I dont know?

I see now how it works, someone has systematically downrated every public recipe I have. Just that quick. Damn hooligans.

2 Likes

Send @daath a PM or use the feedback on the recipe site and give him the username of the person.

I’m not saying it is right or wrong, but single flavor recipes are generally ‘looked down’ on. I suppose because a lot of people don’t really consider them recipes, like you said. It also tends to clutter the site, but that’s a drop in the bucket compared to the 10001K clones and adaptations. LoL. Plus, there’s the option to exclude single flavor recipes when doing any kind of search. So I’m not sure that’s a valid reason either. There’s a spot on the flavor details page for single flavor recommendation that you can use instead of (or in addition to) if you feel inclined. :wink:

5 Likes

Its just the stars, no comment. It would be OK if there was a comment. I came up with a work around, everything I had without a comment is now private so no clutter. Maby a good thing would be to be able to see a list of everyone who rated (starred) your recipe (or single flavor mix) that way we could retaliate :smiling_imp:

Remember a hard days work takes me weeks.