Diy cleaning and storage

Wanting to get into Diy and have a few questions as to cleaning and storage. As far as supplies such as bottles and syringes how do you sanitarily clean and store them?

1 Like

I just wash my bottles with hot soapy water the same way I do my dishes. A lot of people will do a final rinse with distilled water to get rid of any stuff tap water leaves behind, but I don’t worry about that so much. I inhale lots of tap water in the shower and I’m not dead yet. You could also rinse them in plain vodka. I don’t use syringes since I mix by weight, so I can’t help with that.

7 Likes

^^^ What JoJo said… ditto

1 Like

Same here. I sell juice, and that all goes into shiny new bottles. But any bottle for personal use that I reuse I just wash and rinse and let dry. I try to shake out as much water as I can then stand upright to let the rest evaporate. This probably is better if you have softer water. I also mix by weight. No cleanup involved.

2 Likes

When I re-use a bottle, I just wash it out with soap and tap water and let dry … Like JoJo, I don’t worry about tap water residue. However, it is rare for me to re-use a bottle. I don’t use syringes like I used to when first starting out but when I did use them, I bought them in bulk and used them as disposables but the blunt tips were getting expensive so I would try to salvage those and use very hot tap water to cleanse them and stood them up to dry them. Only use them about 3-4 times only using the same ingredients in the tips.

When mixing for anyone other than myself, I always use a new glass or unicorn bottle. I have tons of those as I also buy those in bulk.

2 Likes

I agree with the above. Since I reuse my glass bottles…

1. Rinse with hot hot two water
  2. Soak in a bowl of hot water and soap 15mins (or longer when I forget. Typically shake them up alittle in the soap.
  3. Rinse with hot tap water
  4. Either right after or a day after I rinse with hot distilled water. I know misted are too worried, but I am sort of a clean freak when it comes to this stuff and a gallon of distilled water is cheap.
  5. Dry them all the way. Sometimes I use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process. Even the oven a few times.

Once dry, they go into my cool dark place in a airtight sealed container like everything else.

2 Likes

All you guys are freaking amazing for getting back to me so fast, really blown away (: yeah I guess you could say I’m a little ocd about things and want to make sure I’m cleaning/drying and storing all my stuff so I don’t inhale anything I shouldn’t be. I don’t plan on selling these juices, just for personal use and a couple friends.

1 Like

When I did mix by volume and used syringes I used warm soapy water in one sink then rinsed in another and then another rinsed PITA then I’d dry them on baby bottle rack. You can put your bottles and syringes here to dry. Decent price at target 14$ I got mine on Amazon.

4 Likes

With NEW and reused bottles I soak them w clean tap water and then boil the shit out of them.
Its funny how many people dont reuse bottles, but nobody seems to boil new ones…crazy.

2 Likes

So do you just rinse with more tap water to get the soap out and then leave it open to dry? And as far as nicotine or bottles with no dripper what do you use to get the liquid in the container that you use to mix?

When you mix by weight what are you using to get get the liquid in the beaker?

Thanks lots for the advice, also when you get new unicorns and glass bottles in do you tend to clean or boil those too? And can you boil or place unicorn bottles in hot water?

When you say dry right away do you mean shake the excess water out and leave them upright to evaporate or do you mean using something like a paper towel to dry them?

Thanks so much!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing for new bottles. Is it safe to boil plastic unicorns?

Once again the community for diy ESPECIALLY on this site is truly unbelievable. You guys are all awesome. I’d like to say that’s all I wanted to know but I’m OCD as all hell and have quite a bit more questions that I couldn’t seem to find from watching YouTube vids so anybody that would be willing to help me I’d be most appreciative (:

1 Like

Yes, I just rinse with hot tap water like I would my dishes. I put them in a salad strainer to dry if I have a bunch of them and just shake it every time I think about it. If I only have a few, I will put them upside down on a towel. To transfer my nic, PG, and VG, I use bottles like this from http://www.onestopdiyshop.com/product-p/bts-twist.htm

I use dropper bottles for all my flavors, usually the ones they come in unless they come in bottles that don’t have dropper tops. I try to avoid that though, since I hate transferring. I don’t boil bottles before I use them but I do wash them like I do when I reuse them.

2 Likes

For my PG & VG I use bottles like @JoJo does and I have my nic transferred into a glass bottle with a dropper. For flavorings I use the dropper on the bottles and for the flavors that don’t have a dropper tip I use some 3ml pipettes that I get off Amazon for cheap. I think there is 100 in a pack and just use them once and toss.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Transfer-Pipettes-Gradulated-Pack/dp/B00KWFV58O/ref=sr_1_2?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1456236700&sr=8-2&keywords=pipettes&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

1 Like

I just drip right from the flavoring bottle. You have to have a scale to mix by weight. Look around on here. There are scale recommendations in other threads

1 Like

Normally I’ll set them upside down. But I am impatient so I end up using the blow dryer or oven at 225. I normally do it right away because I want to put stuff away ASAP so I get my counter space back.

1 Like