DIY Hand Sanitizer/Disinfectant: A little extra for these virus-crazed times

You’d have to look at the ingredients - it has to be around 99% isopropyl alcohol - which is also sold as just rubbing alcohol in the US, I think! Obviously you can’t use the aerosol cans :smiley:
EDIT: Ingredients might say: propan-2-ol which is the correct one!

3 Likes

I just tried making a tiny batch with 99% pure aloe gel - it didn’t work out very well. It looks like the gel lumps together?! Perhaps if one went from 80% target alcohol to like 75% or even 70% it would maybe be better :stuck_out_tongue:
The gel I got (which was pricy) wasn’t totally clear as other aloe gels I’ve had - it was more unclear/milky.

2 Likes

If it’s like pure-pure … As in straight from the plant…? That’s make sense. True aloe vera, straight from the plant is kind of chunky and stringy. Maybe it’s not blended/treated… I dunno. That’s very strange…

Mine turned out thin, watery, but pretty homogeneous…

3 Likes

Yeah, the previous gel I had was clearly treated in some way, it was totally clear but very thick. This does seem more like just the raw plant. Both were 99% pure. I should have checked the label better, I guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But since it’s still watery for you, I’m thinking why bother? It could work, if I as I said, you lowered the final alcohol % - dunno :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good to hear, i order 1 liter 99,5% Aloe gel, so I have to make some tiny test I can see :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Let us know - I can already tell you now, if it isn’t completely clear, the result will be weird :rofl:

2 Likes

They say it’s pure and clean Aloe, so we will see. i will update u guys :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:
Think I will get it in around 2 days, then I’m ready for DIY :rofl:

3 Likes

The stuff I used was clear with a blue tint to it. It turned out cloudy… :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Made this today found a bottle of 70% alcohol, used Sandalwood and Vanilla oils as well to make it smell good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ooh! Nice scent choice!

3 Likes

I had them for my candle warmers :slight_smile: I like making scented candle wax LOL

3 Likes

I used to make custom candles. It’s time consuming but kind of fun.

3 Likes

Nice, but i wonder how u can keep the final mix with Hydrogen peroxide etc over the 60%. With “only” 70% alcohol.
It need minimum to be at 60% for works, but im sure u know that.
Just want it to be safe for u, so its only a concern.

4 Likes

With the updated page: https://e-liquid-recipes.com/handsanitizer - you can use alcohol down to 66% to keep at 60% final strength :slight_smile: 70% is actually enough to make 64% sanitizer using that recipe :smiley:

5 Likes

Nice then… Good to know.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.