DIY liquid for pods

I’ve started using pods now for work as it’s very discreet and ultra low profile but having trouble making liquid for them. I can’t do PG so I add distilled water to help thin and that works very well. The problem is flavor. I’m guessing the coil is so tiny that the flavor profile has to be 15-20% whereas a large steam crave tank for example can have excellent flavor at 5%.

Last pod mix was 10% flavor and 8% water. Getting good vapor but very little flavor. Any suggestions?

Store liquid is now 50/50 and after trying that in the pod, it was starving for liquid and got dry hits. Ended up adding distilled water to that and it worked fine.

7 Likes

Sometimes it depends on the flavor profile when it comes to pods, I also run full VG in a pod unit. I think because of the reduced amount of airflow compared to an Sub-ohm or RDA tank that stronger flavors or higher % are the way to go with pods. What kind of flavors are you trying to run? I tend to run coffees and flavored tobacco’s in my pods being that they taste better with more restrictive airflow. Fruits can also taste good in pods though I find what works good at 9% in a RDA/RTA needs to be doubled to 18% for a pod unit to obtain the same satisfaction from the flavor.

8 Likes

I make 50/50 for a pod for a friend. I mix the flavor for his between 18-24% but you shouldnt get dry hits. Most those coils run between 15-30w. So im kind of wondering what wattage you are using it at

6 Likes

Last mix used FA lemon Sicily, Inawera shisha SB. Tfa SB, FA custard, SSA lemon juicy, a bit of Purilium sweetener. I’ll try doubling this and see what happens

5 Likes

I don’t have control over wattage as it’s the vapresso luxe

6 Likes

Its designed to be low so it shouldnt burn your coils with 50/50

6 Likes

Yes @Psycho_316 is correct you shouldn’t get dry hits with a 50/50 concentration. Are the dry hits immediately after replacing the coil? You should always prime your coil (a few drops down the center of coils and juice intake holes on the side) before putting in your coils especially with small pod coils. They take time for the cotton to saturate. I usually wait 15-20 min after filling the pod to allow the coil to be fully saturated.

7 Likes

Pod is primed and let it sit a while. Could also be I’m not used to pods and over expected what I get.

5 Likes

I think it’s 40 watts. Maybe I should get a lower wattage type.

7 Likes

@R113 welcome back, and I’ll be watching this thread, as while not podding, I still struggle to get mucho flavoro from my MTL’s.

7 Likes

Looking at your mix you are running fruits with a custard which can tend to mute the fruits slightly, definitely try increasing the fruits not the custard. Custards grow/get more flavor as they age keep the fruits higher so that they can stand out from the custard.

6 Likes

Thanks for that. I’ll double without doubling the custard

7 Likes

Thank you. Needed some help cause the pod thing is a whole new game for me. Disposables are good and would be great for travel but are also very pricey. If I can get the flavor issue fixed I think I’ll be good.

7 Likes

Most dont tend to go above the wattage of the coils. Are you taking long and i mean long inhales. Those pnp coils dont hold alot. Are you chaining it as this will cause a burnt cotton taste as they are not designed for chain vaping. The other ? Is, are you using freebase nic or nicsalt. As some coils dont like nic salt over a certain wattage. I ran into this with my pod using friend where they burnt out quickly. And i mean immediately.

5 Likes

The vapresso luxe has no way to change power settings they have a .4 and .8 coil. I have been taking long drags and the nic is salts. I also went high nic on purpose so I don’t chain vape. Last mix was 50mg

6 Likes

What i would do is see if they are nic salt compatible. If they just keep burning out its the salts. Its such a high concentration its just burning the coil up. It could be way too high for that pod

6 Likes

Yes that’s probably the Lux X or XR non replaceable coil pod. I didn’t even think about if it was salt compatible, at that high concentration of salt nic it would kill the .4 coil quickly, the .8 might last slightly longer. Also answers the dry hit issue salt nic works best with high ohm coils 1.0 and higher they burn cooler. A coil at .4 and .8 would burn off salt nic too fast. Being they are considered sub-ohm coils.

9 Likes

The nic salt is scorching them. Probably be better switching to freebase

6 Likes

I had to look it up cause the company doesn’t say. The .4 is freebase nic and the .8 is for regular or salts. I also do not have freebase anymore

5 Likes

I’d probably switch to the .8 and cut back the high nic if you can.

8 Likes