DIY moving into the mainstream news spotlight ?!

This is Jones’ first attempt to make her own e-liquid after buying it for the past five years. Jones, 32, wants to be prepared for the worst-case scenario: a ban on the sale of the e-liquids she depends on to avoid cigarettes.

As more states, cities and even the federal government consider banning flavored nicotine, thousands of do-it-yourself vapers like Jones are flocking to social media groups and websites to learn how to make e-liquids at home.

Users on the forums — many of whom have been mixing their own e-liquids for years — describe the process as simple, fun, cheap and, with the proper precautions, safe. But if not done carefully, making e-liquids at home may pose risks including accidental exposure to high doses of liquid nicotine, the use of dangerous oil-based flavors and possible product contamination.

“To have people mixing their own e-cigarette liquid is crazy. These are very toxic chemicals,” said Stanton Glantz, a professor of medicine and the director of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education at the University of California-San Francisco. “If you drop a little bit of nicotine on your skin, it can send you to the hospital.”

Siegel worries, however, about the risk of contaminated products as some people use the bans as an opportunity to make their own concoctions cheaply and sell them on the black market.

“Who knows what they’re going to put in there?” Siegel said. “This is just what happens when you use prohibition as a regulatory approach. What’s really needed in this situation is actual regulation of these products to try to make them as safe as possible.”

This story was produced by Kaiser Health News, an editorially independent program of the Kaiser Family Foundation.

6 Likes

With regulation like in Europe for maximum strength of nicotine, the article would not have anything bad to say.
Frankly, it is good advertising for DIY :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Mr Glantz? Again? The one “better off smoking than vaping??” for Christ sake…

@SessionDrummer are you still using very toxic chemicals?? And don’t wash your hands with 100mg nicotine!!

Where do these people live?? Outer space?

5 Likes

Yes, but …

5 Likes

Soooo much slant, sooo much bad information, misleading, and more …

8 Likes

LB for the win though !!!

7 Likes

Mike Olson, a resident of Illinois, has stockpiled a multiyear supply of highly concentrated nicotine because he’s so worried about a ban on the sale of flavored vapes. He said he uses gloves and safety goggles while handling it and stores it high up in a closet to keep it away from his dogs.

@MikeOlson DON’T store your “highly concentrated nicotine” in your closet, because you won’t get NEAR a multi-year out of it before it becomes “highly OXIDIZED nicotine” !!!

9 Likes

And TFA… :rofl:

3 Likes

I say we’ve done a great job of pushing safety here and for DIY in general. That kind of just came along and slapped our achievements down to anyone that reads it. If we didn’t have places like this, I shudder to think how DIY would have gone all these years.

7 Likes

I thought they could have gotten a better deal going for 50x0.001 for a lot less money. :slight_smile:, if we are going to compare reactions on seeing scales :slight_smile:
At least not them bloody syringes

3 Likes

It’s the toxic chemicals we use I’m worried about… we should all be dead by now!! :joy:

6 Likes

I’d really hope though, in the rush to leap into DIY because of the bans/impending bans that people will still take the time to learn as well as take proper safety precautions.

8 Likes

Don’t be like Mike

5 Likes

now blow on her so she registers dumbass

4 Likes

He must love TFA vic!

4 Likes

It’s not going to happen. People will be going into supermarkets and buying food oils. Or finding cheap shit somewhere that’s labeled as a flavor. I have no doubt about this.

9 Likes
5 Likes

I caught the little snarky remark about the nicotine jug looking like gasoline. Couldn’t help themselves tying in a toxic scary reference and linking it to a small child, I suppose.

Next comes the nicotine, which resembles a doll-sized plastic jug of gasoline.

7 Likes

Snark is right @anon70102222. Soo much to quote and go over, but one of the more DISTURBING ones for me was …

5 Likes

But that one at least has some merit. We saw the THC black market disaster. Obviously it was put it here for nefarious reasons, but it is a thing.

6 Likes