DIY no flavor

3 variables changed my “muted” mix issues: flavor brand, setup and steeping

1. the setup (coil, wire type, even tank, ohm and wattage) will make a difference. many of us post recipes that work well for their usual setup. when i vape a dual SS clapton I get much stronger flavor and have to bring the % flavors down, compared to when i vape a single coil, single wire K wire

2. flavor brand, i stayed with TPA for a while - creams muted or not the expected flavor or peppery note… a lot of inconsistency. i still love them don’t get me wrong, but some CAP and FW changed what i mix in terms of flavor clarity

3. steeping - time is needed - at least 3 days… but if i do a mix, give it a 15-min warm (not hot) bath, then shake then vape after 3 hours when it settles and still no flavor, then it’s time to fix it - i know i need to adjust the recipe up or down (for my setup - see point #1). if i get “something” close to what i was aiming for, then i’m on the right track and can let it sit for couple weeks before i try again. some mixes are instant winners and they’re gone before the steeping… :slight_smile: - even few with custard and ice creams - i started to know them
    hope these findings help you in your journey - cheers

1 Like

case in point (if you have CAP VC v1) try this tweak
(but then your taste may be different than mine…hmmmmm!)

God Milk - (tweak)

TPA Bavarian Cream - 2%
TPA Cheesecake (Graham Crust) - 2% (or even lower)
TPA Dragonfruit - 1%
TPA Strawberry - 4%
TPA Ripe Strawberry - 4%
CAP VC v1 - 3% (or 4 or 5 depends on how sweet you want it)
FW Dulce De Leche 2%

Thanks for the info, I’ll try to change the recipe up a little. I’m getting pretty frustrated none of my juice is even close to something I would vape, very bland and no taste. I’ve mixed so many different % and everything taste the same, no flavor and bland.

Hey I’m new to I’ve literally made like 5 different ones and tasted like foot

BUT I made two today that are beautiful …so I picked two different ones from the beginner list I chose restaurant lemonade and kanzi…

A couple of things I did different to the first five.

1. Used different makes/brands I noticed a strawberry from one vendor will taste diff to another.

2. I made it by weight rather than volume.

3. When it came to steeping I purchased a jp 7000s ultrasonic cleaner and after 2 hours tastes pretty good not gunna lie.

The kanzi could do with some tweaking as I put way too much sweetener in and it tastes like I’m vaping sugar…but seriously I felt like giving up but after changing what I did I can’t wait to make more!

4 Likes

Just keep mixing…and keep good notes.
You will be surprised at what you will make.
Never throw any out, just leave it to age. You can always tweak it.

Talking about tweaking

How do you do this with a flavour already made…just add more of what ever flavour? But would this not dilute the nicotine more etc?

Taste it and think about what flavor(s) comes thru.
What would you think could improve it.
If you need more nicotine, simply add some.

I make up a batch of flavourless base at times. I use it to dilute recipes or testers that are too strong, I work out the new percentages when I dilute it. For example I might try a single flavour test starting at 10% . Let’s say that’s way too strong. I then add double the weight now it’s 5%. I find it a good way to test unknown or weird flavours using have much info on.

It also requires you to keep a list of the weights of the standard bottles you use. I know my 15ml bottles way 6.26g so I can quickly determine the amount I have in the bottle and use that to do adjustments. If you have lots of different types of bottles you use. I recommend just taking photos of the empty bottle on your scale and you have your reference.

So in your case, you may dilute it 10% then add some other flavours or enhancers according to what you need and what may help fix it.

1 Like

Can I suggest that you start mixing without sweeteners (other than i.e. Marshmallow) and rather add some after steeping and tasting? I think you’ll learn your flavours better that way and perhaps you’ll find that you don’t even need them. :wink:

3 Likes

I only put super sweet in because on the beginners guide to diy recipe said to put it in lol:p

When I do 10ml there’s no space for me to put in extra stuff without it overflowing but I am doing it as testers now rather than just making 20ml off the bat

Do you think some flavours come with sweetener in them already apart from the obvious (e.g. Super sweet, etc) if do, which frequently used flavours already them in the flavour itself.

I believe it’s harder separate the flavours when it is masked behind sweeteners, but you can try both and find what you like. Sound like you are on the right track here. :+1:

I do. I think it’s written somewhere in here too. I’ll go look for it.

1 Like

If I find this situation I measure the weight (I know my bottle weights, so can work out how much juice is in a bottle) then I split it into a 2nd bottle by half. Then adjust away.

Now that makes sense haha cheers

I can’t seem to find it. Maybe open a new post for the subject? I personally believe that at least Sweet Cream and Banana Cream contains sweeteners of some kind.

Yeah would be nice to accumulate a list. Before I start a new thread. I’ll just put it out there, and wait a little to see if I get a response.

Does anyone know a thread which lists those flavours with sweetener’s in them.

It’s really what you prefer I guess I do sometimes with coffee vapes and maybe fruits

Tried to vape it again, better than last time I vaped them but the flavors just don’t seem to pop. Still more of the dull flavor. Maybe I had my expectations too high.

You may be short changing yourself if you never use additional pg. Not all recipes are great at max vg. Sometimes all that is needed to make an o.k. recipe great is to simply change the PG/VG ratio. I see many newbies trying to mix max vg all the time and then come around and say "why can’t I taste my juice."
The answer is very simple. Most juices need a bit of pg to help the recipe. Once your recipe is balanced, it will usually be under the amount of pg you are looking for in your recipe. Add the extra pg. If you’re shooting for a 20/80 mixture and your flavoring is at 12%, you wouldn’t just add more flavoring. No, you’d add more pg. If you added more flavoring, your recipe will become unbalanced and you will have unwanted effects from the extra flavoring. Your recipe might be flat even with your flavors balanced. A perfect example will be, you’ll have all your flavors right, but the recipe doesn’t come out quite there. When this happens, something as simple as changing the ratio will help immensely. I have some flavoring I received from a manufacturer and mixed it at the recommended 20% flavoring, I also added 5%pg to help carry the flavor right off the bat.