DNA users...what Escribe settings to use for Ni80?

Ni80 is an NiCr Alloy, see: https://www.kanthal.com/en/products/material-datasheets/wire/resistance-heating-wire-and-resistance-wire/nikrothal-80/

It’s practically impossible that Ni80 releases Nickel or Chrome… see below, but… what I said in my post is, that’s just not worth it… change the coil don’t DB, just as an habit.

I personally think it’s not worth the risk, whatever wire, it’s a fact that Ni80 can release Cr-2 and Ni+2, but at 2913°C (boiling point, not melting point that’s at 1400°C) but the vaping temperature doesn’t even reach 300°C, practically no chance of been toxic, in no way…

It’ s true that straight NiCr (liked Ni200) if not pure can get toxic, chrome building up on oxidation (Cr+6) is toxic, but on PVs we haven’t got S2 ions or (Co)-2 (carbon monoxide) to have NIckel tetracarbonyl ( a highly toxic compound) so there’s no risk, unfortunately some ignorant stupid media played on this… and still are…

What’s the deal? The risk factor of Ni200 or the likes of been toxic, is directly proportional to the wire purity, heat (I’d like to see the idiot who likes dry hits…) and misuse, power instead of TC.

Talking about dry burn and start a discussion about it (plenty on the net) , is a rabbit hole, a lot depends on the type of wire and power used, slow pulses on Kanthal, SS or Ni80, is not even an issue, just a personal choice…

Unfortunately lots of initial studies about vaping did just that, burnt the hell out of a C4 with silica wicks and no liquid… and published the results as “A Study on electronic Cigarette” … And got paid for it!

4 Likes

So for DNA devices the WATTS setting is recommended for Ni80.
Let’s leave it at that.

5 Likes