Does anyone make their own dog food?

I’m looking for suggestions and ideas on what ingredients and ratios to use food homemade dog food. My guy can’t have chicken, so I’ll be using lean ground beef, or fish, and if I can source venison I’ll use that as well…processed food is just not working for my guy anymore. He’s 10 which is very elderly for his breed.

15 Likes

I use chicken but ground beef would work just as well. I cook up 40% meat, 40% Cauliflower/broccoli/carrot mix and 20% basmati rice. Cook meat and veg with some water (not too much which will be something to trial) until cooked through and a little soft on the vegies, add rice and let it absorb all the water, making sure it is cooked through. Let it cool and refrigerate.

I cook this for Roxy and make around 5 to 7 days worth at a time. She loves it and it maintains her weight and health. Roxy is 13 years years old and has some health issues that this diet seems to help with.

16 Likes

12 Likes

I use a mixture of 40% Lean ground beef, 30% ground venison (you could sub some cheap fish here like whole tilapia, or just use more of the other proteins) , 10% beef, pork, or venison liver (chopped in food processor), and 20% beef tripe (very nutritious and beneficial for dogs), I add chopped carrots, field peas, fresh beets, and any fresh spinach I may have laying around. I cook all this in some beef bone broth I make, (if I don’t have my own beef bone broth, I buy organic unsalted, water will work but has less flavor.) I add whole oats and or brown rice for thickening purposes.
Once cooked I press it in loaf pans or cake pans chill, then slice in portions.
Hopefully :crossed_fingers: I’ll have plenty of venison this fall and would gladly send you some if you would like.

14 Likes

Obviously, you’re not feeding him enough.

10 Likes

Obviously…

Oh, he is a she. :smile:

10 Likes

I have no idea making dogfood, but my instinct says you need some Honey…
from yourolddog.com:

12 Likes

I didnt make dog food but i made food for our dogo everyday. Protein (chicken, beef or turkey) and veggies then some fresh fruit for dessert. The boy loved it.

Fish is a great idea especially if you can catch it fresh, Captain Poo Face liked raw fish but only got it when i caught it fresh. Otherwise canned tuna works good. I didnt have any particular ratio’s and once he got older i pretty much gave him whatever he wanted as long as it wasnt dangerous.

You’ve got a beautiful boy there!

10 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely take all of this into consideration. I appreciate it!

7 Likes

Awesome! Thank you! I also just ordered a supplement called the Missing Link which I’ll feed once a day on top of his food.

7 Likes

Broccoli? I tried that once and my dog let loose with the fog of war. Now it’s rice sweet potato, lean turkey, salmon, peas, and carrots. I can’t deal with the effects of broccoli ever again.

10 Likes

I found some BARF recipes. It’s raw food though. Still, even if you want to cook your dogfood, it still has some good advice on extra nutrients that he will need with his home made food.

I still wonder why they chose to name it BARF :face_vomiting:

8 Likes

@Josephine_van_Rijn … That’s not the type of raw feed I’m used too…, I was recently introduced to it by my aunt…, she said it’s very good for many ailments in animals. It’s not actually RAW, you cook everything without any seasoning…
@Lynda_Marie try this… get a big can of salmon (make sure it’s in water) it doesn’t need to be heated or anything… that’s a good sized dog btw, so I’d make sure to get the the 14.75oz can…, get u a sweet potato (bigger than your hand) and steam it until almost mushy, de-skin it & cut it up into smaller chunks…, boil 2 eggs & cut them up, mix everything together and watch ur pup go to town! I had a hard time believing any animals would eat tht shit, but after I’ve seen it, I’m amazed :star_struck:…, she has quite a few dogs & all of em seemed like they had some kind of issues… e.g. joint pains, chewing itself, geriatric dogs… & The list goes on… & I asked her about it b/c the last time I was over there, I remembered tht we couldn’t touch one of her dogs b/c it was in so much constant pain, well fast forward to last week and the dog came running up to us like she wanted petted…, I was scared to, so I ask my aunt if it was ok, & that’s when she told me about this raw feeding. There’s quite a few different ways they make they’re food using different ingredients, but this way tht I stated is the way tht I saw how to fix it. But she raw feeds all her animals Mon., Wed. & Fri. & The only actual dog food they get is some kind of all natural IAMS, on the days they aren’t raw feeding, plus she leaves some in their bowls on the days of R.F., BUT I have seen a major change in her dogs, so I’ve thought about it, and I’m gonna give it a try on ours! I hope this helps…, u can give him any type of meat tht you want tho…, but I will say this…, if it’s fresh meat 2 be cooked, she gets it from a local meat market… PM me if u have any questions… Hope this helps!!!

7 Likes

I tried to take a pic of the ING. in order to help a little, but it won’t load…

6 Likes

Thank you! I’m going to start slowly tomorrow adding things in. He’s got such a sensitive stomach. I have lean burger. I’m making a bone broth right now, letting the marrow bones simmer on low. I got a batch of frozen peas and carrots, some fresh butternut squash, and brown rice. I’ll do salmon or white fish and sweet potatoes and maybe carrots and spinach or kale so I can switch up. Venison if I can hunt some down (literally) next shotgun season. I also ordered the Missing Link multivitamin supplement powder for the top. Wish me and him luck tomorrow lol :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

Thanks! I went shopping today and simmering marrow bones on low for tomorrow. Got a few things to try for now.

6 Likes

I buy skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cook them. Then chop them up, put bone broth on it, & mix it with freshpet chicken, fresh dog food. I have a german/english shepard mix, & he loves it, & he’s in perfect health.

8 Likes

Awesome, thank you! I’ll have to check out fresh pet. I’ve not heard of it.

5 Likes

I’m simmering beef marrow bone broth right now. It’s been on for about 4 hours. A few more hours to go but I added a bit to his burger and rice tonight and he loved it. I absolutely can’t wait to make his food tomorrow. I got frozen mixed carrots and peas, butternut squash, brown rice and 93/7 lean burger…just to start… didn’t want to bombard him with a bunch of new stuff. I think I’ll put some pumpkin purée in as well. Thank you so much for your help!

7 Likes

You are very welcome :slightly_smiling_face:
As you know we have to keep our fur babies healthy, vibrant, and happy!

6 Likes