Domestic Travel Help E-Liquid

Help, flying within the states on Friday and made about a liter of e-liquid for my adult kids. I have it bottled in various size Chubby Gorilla bottles (60/100/200) and it all fits in a little cardboard box - I read all the restrictions and most of the liquid (3/2/1) quart plastic bag ones apply to carry on. I want to put this box or if necessary plastic bag in my checked baggage. Is there any reason I can not? - Thanks (the rules are kinda vague with the checked in baggage on the TSA site. Anyone have any recent experience traveling with a bunch of DIY e-liquid for family?

3 Likes

You could ship it ahead and meet it there… just to be safe.

2 Likes

I’m going to see what happens - I’ve heard Grimmgreen say he takes bunches of eliquid in his luggage before - the TSA rules state that it is allowed in checked baggage - the only thing unclear is if they NOW consider it a poison.

2 Likes

This is the most recent information I can find. There does not appear to be any specific TSA or FAA restriction on e-liquid in checked baggage. I’ll let you know how I fare… http://www.airline-baggage-fees.com/articles/flying-with-electronic-cigarettes-vape-pens/

3 Likes

I take that you noticed the references to individual airline carrier companies having their own applied rules, in addition to TSA - which may add even more sludge to the clear as mud ponds of uncertainty. I’d mail stuff.

Here are some airline policies regarding flying with e-cigs and batteries:

Source: https://vaping360.com/learn/rules-flying-with-vapes-on-planes/

6 Likes

I read the rules on the carrier I am using and they referred me back to the rules stated in the link I posted above. I think I should be OK. - Thanks

4 Likes

Just an FYI for everyone, when I got to the ticketing counter to check my bag they ask if you have any hazardous or anything type of stuff in your checked in luggage and I said I have only e-liquid besides my clothes. The agent said no worries and took the bag. When I got to my destination, luggage off the plane as usual, upon opening my bag at my son’s home I had a form note from TSA that they had preformed a manual inspection of my luggage and found all in order. E-liquid bottles had obviously been removed from the gallon plastic ziplock bag that was holding the 8 Chubby Gorilla bottles but all were there and just fine. Long story short is that bulk e-liquid (a liter worth) made it through fine in my checked bag.

9 Likes

I have recently travelled within Canada and you are allowed up to 10x100ml bottle for carry on of any liquid. I’d imagine that your rules are not far off.

4 Likes

I’m just wondering if diy liquid needs to be labeled in any particular way for checked or unchecked baggage as it’s not a “store bought bottle”

2 Likes

@Lizzz_34

2 Likes

I took an assortment of Chubby Gorilla bottles (100ml+200ml bottles) clearly DIY labeling with only the name of the flavor/blend with an Avery label on them, in my checked bag. I had about a liter or so of bottled liquids…it was all in a gallon sized zip-lock in-between clothing in the suitcase. I told the agent at the ticketing counter that checked my bag, I have e-liquid in the suitcase. - that’s it

3 Likes

Decent labeling is helpful if there is an inspection or leakage. There is also a difference between bringing 120mls if juice vs a gallon or two.

2 Likes

As I mentioned above, my suitcase was opened and inspected by TSA - they left me a note in my suitcase which I found when getting to my destination. Nothing was missing though.

2 Likes

I have a brother label maker that I put labels on my bottles with anyways (works great btw). I think I will make them a bit more detailed. Thanks for the tips.

4 Likes

And, … so, … it begins !!!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to ELR @lindsywes.

1 Like