Dry Feeling

I mixed my first very basic recipe today. Just wondering how can I limit dryness and get a more juicy feel? What causes that dry feeling in the throat?

3 Likes

Which recipe did you mix and how long have you let it steep?

You need to let your juice steep before you vape it. Our concentrates contain alcohols and other solvents to carry the flavor. They need to steep out and will become smooth over time.

There are certain flavors that are harsher than others, that’s why I asked for the recipe…

6 Likes

Also not sure how long you’ve been vaping … but make sure you drink enough. Vaping PG can have a bit of a dehydrating effect.

5 Likes

I and others have found a slight addition of INW Kactus (Cactus) has provided a juicer sensation. Think .5-.7% Some use a small amount of a Cucumber flavor.

Of course telling us your recipe will help.

4 Likes

INW cactus, FA pear, TFA dragon fruit, or WF starfruit at 0.3-0.5% are all good for giving a juicier feel.

5 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.
I mix many mixes per mixing session and everything gets 4 weeks min. and more often, 2-3 months is not unusual. It’s all about managing what you mix vs what you have left in stock. I believe If a mix is not good or has not approached my minimal taste acceptance (after a few shakes various times through the aging process) the mix is a failure. If the taste is good only after 2-3 weeks and goes down hill, it’s not for me.

5 Likes

Thank you for all of your kind respoonses.

Link to recipe: http://tjek.nu/r/wyWB
Still need to find out how to make it public

I have been vaping for last 4 years. I am well aware with the fact how vaping helps in drinking more water (just re-arranged words lol)

It’s not allowing me to reply one after the other.

i was actually to excited that didn’t wait even a minute and started vaping it. that might be the case however, what i know so far is fruit flavours don’t need to be steeped and can be vaped starightaway. how true is this then?

2 Likes

Click the little wrench up on the right side of your recipe and use share url privately in the drop down. Copy the long url at the bottom of the recipe and paste here so we can get our peepers on it. :grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks I needed to know how to do that.

2 Likes

lol, that happens to the best of us… especially if you give it a smell after a shake and it’s so damned good :wink:

This is so totally wrong. There is no 1 general rule when it comes to flavors. All companies do flavors in different ways, using different production methods, other ingredients, … even within a company you have flavors that need more or less steeping (even if you’re talking just about fruits).

It’s always good to have a recipe handy that you like when you start mixing, but to make real progress in DIY, you should mix up all your flavors separately at different %s and take notes. Usually people will try after a shake, after 3 days, after a week and then follow up weekly to find out how the steeping progress works for that particular flavor. Using more or less % doesn’t only affect the strength but can also give you a different accents.
The results are important to know to get an idea of how it would work together with other flavors that may evolve in a different way. Some flavors get stronger, others fade away but there are also flavors that remain their strength for a very long time. Some flavors are harsh initially but become very smooth but you’ll also find flavors that can actually be vaped from a shake… only throw away all your generalizations.

Yes, there are trends in flavors. Custards or tobaccos will take a lot more time to steep in general, but if you look around, you’ll find a few custards that don’t need much time at all. Going to Medecin Flower flavors for example, you’ll probably want to steep your juices for a long time (also fruits).

It is a big learning curve initially and you’ll probably have a lot of disappointments (like the harshness you experience now), but it will get better once you get the hang of it and it’s all worth it.
Me personally, I have a few juices I make that I vape from a shake (in emergencies) but any e-liquid will get smoother and much nicer to vape over time.
When you steep a juice, just close the bottle and put it in a drawer away from any heat source and wait. That’s what most people do. No need for hot baths, microwaving, magnetic stirrers and whatever else people try to speed up the process. Most of those techniques will have a negative impact on the overall quality of your liquid. Time and patience is all you need… and if you easily get bored, plan so you have enough juice to bridge those waiting periods.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the insights. Its really helpful.

2 Likes

Aside from steeping, and assuming you like fruit mixes, cactus adds a juiciness to a mix that makes you feel it running down your chin. HOWEVER its very strong indeed and can take over other flavors if not used carefully. Start at 0.25 and work your way up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I started mixing, my juice would get a dry taste, try making it with a little less of- I pretty much go 80/20 pg because it makes me feel like my throat is on fire- I’ve learned, through reading people’s shares, that some people are more sensitive to pg.
if it’s feeling harsh, add a bit of TFA marshmallow. Best of luck- keep at it!

1 Like

Suomynona has given you the bitter truth.
She’s been at it for a while too, so hard to argue.
I thought at first that I had been sent bad flavors.
And I hated that my creativity and proclivity to “explore the space” wasn’t being rewarded with delicious results.
I made at least 25 flavors my first month and dumped all but three or four down the sink.
Okay well I put them in the dark cabinet but I’m not holding out much hope.
You’ll make some stinkers.
But most juices aren’t good till at LEAST a week.
Now, if I want to know what direction a flavor is going to go, and I want to know right away, I’ll make a 13 ml batch to go in a 15 ml bottle to allow for shake room, I’ll whip the crap out of it with my frother to incorporate air, bottle it, and then chuck it in a sink with hot water for about 15 minutes to release the kung fu grip of the vg, and then drop it onto my drip atomizer to see if it tastes as good as it smells. I think that takes away the first week of waiting for the steep, but as Suomynona stated, there’s no replacement for time. The steep.
And rushing things might affect the flavor of the end product.
So I rush small batches, but when I find a recipe I know I like after I taste it at a month steep, I make a large batch and hide it from myself. No playing, no testing, no heat baths, just let it sit. Shake it when you can, but really just let it sit.
Then when its good you know its good.

2 Likes

Make sure and do your SFT’s. I have received quite a few bad flavors from a couple of the big repackaging stores. It caused a really tough start to my diy journey that could have been avoided.
SFT’s impact every part of the journey starting with the day you receive them.

1 Like

Damn those SFTs!
Yes, I’d better get after it.
I have like six, but I really should hunker in and get educated.
Its soooo boring!
This is like when I tried to learn guitar.
“You have to practice scales!”
I can’t play guitar, in case you are wondering.
I wanted to learn how to play like Jimmy page, but hated that it took more than 3 or 4 days.

3 Likes

Make it a bit easier. ( fun)… When your testing your creams / custard use a fruit that you already know well , this way you can see how it blends with another flavor , I use to hate testing creams bc there are so many that don’t have a real stand out taste like other types of flavors…Plus you will have a descent thing to vape besides those damn SF… I know quite a few people dont even test creams

3 Likes

Hey it’s Nostradamus here, you will be filling carts to optimize shipping costs. Next thing you know you will have many faves in a hurry. If you don’t learn to do them you will have a monumental task ahead that will overwhelm you.
On the bright side it is easier than F A C E or E G B D F! Or somethin simple like “The battle of evermore”.

1 Like

Did I really just say simple and Zeppelin in the same sentence? I may need to have another cup of Joe lol.

2 Likes

I don’t agree, I actually quite like doing SFTs. There are some really good flavors that are better on their own than a lot of recipes I see people post publicly :smirk:
Obviously there are a lot of flavors that need support from other flavors, but you wouldn’t know in what way if you don’t know what exactly a flavor does on its own.

5 Likes