Dual battery squonk mods

All of them seem to have some sort of problem, I’ve heard that the drones panels pop off when you squonk it and to me the ultem panels look terrible, I’ve heard that the topside dual has a weak battery door, don’t hear too much about the basium and it looks right up my alley but they are hard to find and the bottle size is a little small for a dual battery squonker…

Anyone have any feedback about these or recommendations on a dual battery device that they have had long enough to find the quirks on? I really want to get a dual but I think I might end up settling for the og topside…

5 Likes

I have a Luxotic DF, which is a good dual 18650 squonker. Bottle and battery compartment share one door. So refilling the bottle requires some extra caution not to drop the batteries.
What I dislike is the Temperature Control , just a pain and with a little colder weather doesn’t function outside and switches to variable wattage mode.
I recently bought the Topside Dual, battery door has no rattle. The bottle is a joy and the temperature control fine. I will buy a second one when I find a good offer.

4 Likes

The problem I have heard with the topside dual is that months down the road the battery door starts to fall apart, but those complaints could be just something that slipped through qc on a small amount of them…What size bottle does the wismec have? I don’t use temp control for squonking so that doesn’t bother me, I just think a dual battery squonk should have at least a 10ml bottle, otherwise your refilling 3 times before you charge your batteries lol

2 Likes

I checked it, it’s a 7 ml bottle. Good opening, easier to refill than my Pulse X bottle.
I will keep you posted, if I get battery door problems with my Topside.
I was considering the Pulse Dual, but after all the stories of self firing I voted against it.

3 Likes

I agree the Topside could develop door wear, but I’m well over a year with it as my daily driver and have not had an issue.

7 Likes

That’s a decent amount of time… is it a daily use mod for you?

2 Likes

Every day since February 2019.

7 Likes

The majority of these “self firing” cases (regardless of brand) are most likely due to one of two things IMO/IME.

• the fire button collapsing due to pressure being repeatedly OVER-exerted on it.
  • liquid getting into the switch/onto the board.

/generally speaking:
I can think of maybe one instance of a batch of defective switches, but even then, it’s rare.

I can also think of one other instance (maybe two) where the reverse battery protection didn’t work, and a mod went into auto fire… But again, very rare.

/speaking strictly about the Dual:
I would be curious to read anything that you remember that was “particularly swaying” (to your opinion) WRT the Dual.

4 Likes

The Drone is a good squonker, the panels are crap. They don’t fall off but they do flex and shift when you squonk. Luckily, I bought two for stupid cheap and I wraped one of the doors with a “leather” vinyl wrap to add a little strength to the cheap and very thin ultem and it hides the cheap look of it. I’ll take it apart one day and wrap all of the ultem on that thing. I hate ultem. Reminds me of the bottom of a urinal.

The Pulse Dual is decent, but a couple of my RDAs won’t fire on it. Drives me nuts. Aside from that, no issues.

All of my Rages work great, buuuut…they are some heavy MFers! Not pants-pocket-friendly at all.

The Mach On3 is a PIA. The mod itself works well but the way the squonk is situated causes your fingers to hit the up/down buttons and effs everything up.

My gotos are my single-batts Pulse with a 20700 and Desire Cut with a 21700. One or both are used daily and zero issues with either.

4 Likes

I would really like a drone, but the only ones I can find on sale anywhere are the ones with the piss colored ultem, I can’t see spending that amount of money for something I think is hideous lol and I can’t afford to pay 40-60 dollars more for the all black or silver/black ones…I just did a quick look around for a rage and they are not easy to find, fasttech doesn’t even have them lol, the pulse dual is one I forgot about, I’ll have to look around for one of those too.

5 Likes

Not sure if that’s a common thing with the topside but mine has a terrible plasticy taste. I think it must be coming from the silicone bottle but I’ve actually stopped using it. I’ll give it another clean some time but for now I’m happier with the kylin m tank.

4 Likes

I liked the small design and the possibility to change the front panel. The menu with the option to hide all modes you never use is nice. I am happy with my Pulse X, but I had to get a warranty replacement because I had also an issue with the firing button. I simply stuck sometimes and as we all know with Murphy’s law always in bad timing. It was a June 19 production from a reputable US distributor and was replaced without any questions asked.
Due my personal experience I was hesitant to get a Dual. And there have been nice deals recently like 28$ on health cabin.

3 Likes

That’s a new one on me.
(Sorry to hear it)

Have you tried disassembling the section (down to just the rubbery part) and soak it in some vodka (or something similar)?
It should not only clear the smell (if any), but should also “sanitize it for your protection!” :rofl:
You know… Like a urinal ‘mint’. :crazy_face:

7 Likes

That’s also for me the first time to hear that. I didn’t have any smell.

6 Likes

I think Twisted420 mentioned that in his Youtube review. I agree with you on the Ultem panels. I have the black and stainless version which has a single metal wrap around panel that is semi-pliable. With mine I simply gave a gentle squeeze to compress it tighter and it has never popped off. If you like DNA’s I’d say grab one if you can.

3 Likes

You aren’t supposed to eat the mod! :wink:

Sorry to hear that; it’s something I’ve not experienced or heard of prior to this too.

6 Likes

I’ve given it a few minutes with vinegar in the usc and then with dish soap and rinced it. Didn’t help, when there is liquid in the bottle for a few days it seems to be getting worse. I’ll have to try the other bottle and clean the hose connecting the 510.

I’ve got a 2nd topside dual but haven’t opened it yet since I’m not sure if I want to keep it.

2 Likes

Is this the light or the dark bottle? I’ve never used the dark one…

3 Likes

It was the one with the dark silicone. I’ve got the other one in the usc now and give it another go later.

3 Likes

Looking forward to hearing back. That’s a very interesting report I had not heard before.

5 Likes