Enforceable Quarantine in US Cities, Yes or No?

At the EXTREME risk of uncorking the bottle, …

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/28/trump-considers-enforceable-quarantine-in-new-york-new-jersey-and-parts-of-connecticut.html

If our current efforts to contain the virus (or lack thereof) are not working fast enough, how do you feel about enforceable quarantines on US states (or portions of states) ??

• Yes
  • No
  • Can’t decide

0 voters

5 Likes

Quarantines are probably the only way of containing the spread of the virus but I can’t see any way of enforcing them without the might of the National Guard, which your President has specifically ruled out.

7 Likes

The current quarantines are very relaxed …The whole taken out and fast food restraunts thing bothers me , just today we got news that a local McD’s employee has been confirmed to jave the Virus …This employee has been handing people bags of food for awhile …Essential needs to be defined better

10 Likes

General Russel L Honoré is presently on the tube - ridiculing the entire idea. Period. Full stop.

(CDC): “Legal Authorities for Isolation and Quarantine

ORDER FOR QUARANTINE UNDER SECTION 361 OF THE PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE ACT 42 CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS PART 70 (INTERSTATE) AND PART 71 (FOREIGN)

4 Likes

I agree, it does seem odd…

Well that also seems odd, I’m currently still working due to being considered essential, and without the aforementioned, I don’t know where we’d eat (except bag lunch). Truckers are working very hard right now, and I know they are actually having issues AT the drivethru pickups, as they have to walk through.

7 Likes

My problem about the quarantine is, it’s a shame so many people are ignoring it. I am not talking about ‘essential’ businesses and their personnel. I’m talking about the folks who, for instance, head out to Bass Pro Shops because “they have a good sale right now, but it’s in store only”. Or the people that “already planned this damn wedding and paid for it; dammit I am going to go ahead with the plans. Screw the quarantine”. And the “It doesn’t apply to me” crowd. Not to mention the apathetic group that simply doesn’t care.

Enforced, strict quarantines on an entire population of hundreds of millions for a disease that will send a small percentage of those infected to the ICU, and an even smaller percentage will perish (not to mention, those small percentages are not evenly distributed among the general population) is something that won’t be taken well en masse. Not to mention that food/grocery delivery is already strained to capacity, and that would make it a whole lot worse.

That does not necessarily reflect my personal opinion, but then, I don’t need to be forced to do the right thing. I’m trying to reason this from the entirety of the USA (which is impossible for one person to do).

I sincerely wish this wasn’t happening. I have empathy for everyone, and especially those at higher risk of severe complications from this. If it were up to me, I would quarantine CDC folks in the lab until they found the key to stopping this outright. But I just don’t see how you could successfully keep an entire population in their house for a month, and without any ramifications whatsoever. That’s just a bridge too far for me to make sense of I guess.

9 Likes

How is fast enough defined?

2 Likes

Europe is using pretty much the same stay home order. Paris is on a honor system where you fill out a form before leaving because you are allowed out for a defined time.
Streets are empty.
Even on total lockdown someone is going to cheat. Which leaves another question. What do you put people caught cheating?

5 Likes

Workers in McD’s whos been working drive thru tested positive here where I live…How many people could he habe potentially handed it to is my concern…These are times where making your own lunch shoudlnt be a burden … Our grandparents had to bring lunches at one time it was the Norm

9 Likes

Yes , that is very true

6 Likes

Tough question to answer…In that case fine them I guess , but here everything seems to be essential…Fast food is not essential its convenient so I think we need to tighten things up for a a couple weeks … Take gun stores for example the NRA is suing bc they have been deemed Non Essential in places , shuttimg down gun store temporarily is not a violation of Anyones rights , you can own and buy a gun when this slows down …

5 Likes

Thats not happening though …A person can still go buy what they NEED , take walks around , Truckers are moving …that small percentage can become a pretty big number one i hate see even the numbers now imo are too many …

6 Likes

(IMO), I would prefer to polish and fondle my “Justice Rods” than munch on Fluorinated Horse Shanks !

Source: https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/worldofmayhem_gamepedia_en/thumb/e/e0/Elmer_Fudd.png/1200px-Elmer_Fudd.png

Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom to be arrogant and bellicose American Ass Clowns !

Source: https://www.toledoblade.com/image/2019/04/12/1140x_a10-7_cTC/MonsterMutt17-jpg.jpg

:clown_face:

3 Likes

Ya im not a big Fast food fan …Pmus its not even fast anymore , last time I went thru a drive thru it took longer than waiting at a good diner

6 Likes

well…

they are here…

https://www.wyff4.com/article/governor-issues-executive-order-activating-sc-national-guard-giving-dhec-emergency-powers/31966608

3 Likes

My work has been deemed essential.
Which is sort of odd because truth be known I’m serving pizza and noodle salad to folks who have decided to ignore the stay at home requests, in a gourmet grocery store.
I have been given a document to keep in my car to show law enforcement that I am providing an essential service to the public.
So it’s coming.
But I’m grateful for the work.
And really, most of us are going to get it, just watch. I believe many have already and don’t know it.
I don’t think it’s worth destroying the global economy over.

7 Likes

But not to enforce any quarantine conditions.
Yet.

Maybe public opinion will swing towards supporting self-isolation once the daily deaths hit 5,000. Or 10,000?
The alternative of letting the disease run rampant through your society doesn’t bear thinking about…

5 Likes

Your key word is… Yet.

I know it is coming. People are stupid. Until they get smart or die trying.

9 Likes

What I don’t get about resistance to quarantine… look at other countries and how their healthcare systems are collapsing. One after the other. It’s not just “it’s only a small percentage that gets it and even a smaller one that dies”. It’s the total collapse of a healthcare system. Doctors and nurses contracting the virus unnecessarily because of a lack of equipment and personal protection. Other sick people that have nothing to do with this virus that will die who’d otherwise been saved.
Why are people refusing to listen to scientists, experts that have experience with it?
The sooner people take action, i.e. drastic action, the least amount of trouble anyone has. The longer governments are trying to minimize the issue, the longer and the worse the consequences will be.
What’s the big deal, lock people up in their homes and set examples of the people that think they’re special. Yes, it’s annoying, yes everybody wants to keep their freedoms but this is like any other natural disaster. We have no choice, it’s out of our control. The only way to take back control is to make sure people have no contact with each other anymore. Lockdown, social distancing and testing.

11 Likes

Right now there are around 125,000 confirmed infections across the US - because of the incredible rate at which it spreads, in just a couple of weeks, that’ll be TWO MILLION!

Don’t delay - self-isolate now.

8 Likes