Enforceable Quarantine in US Cities, Yes or No?

Self isolation can get lonely but please people, think about your pets too.

It’s not the first time that pets get covid-19 from their owners. Don’t cuddle, don’t let them lick your hands or faces…

And it’s not because you are 100% asymptomatic that you cannot transfer the virus to others

Only the most essential people should be out at work and even then be sure you are socially distancing and thinking of hygienic rules.

8 Likes

5 Likes

I think they call it Martial Law and I AM NOT FOR THAT in the slightest.

Agreed.

:smirk:

6 Likes

We are already seeing enforceable quarantines in places. Consequences are being brought to people not complying. Those consequences may become more widespread and severe over time, hard to say. In the past there have been consequences to include execution.

Lack of understanding and comprehension is still our biggest enemy. For example, I went to CVS pharmacy to get a prescription and used the drive through. Up comes a pharmacist or helper or whatever with mask and gloves. We have our brief exchange of verbal information. Ok, good so far. He comes back to the window and I hand him a 10 spot. He puts it in the register and hands me change. He then picks up the prescriptions and hands me those. I put the change in a container and the prescription bags on the floor of the car and wash my hands with Isopropyl alcohol being careful not to touch anything else in the process. Although those gloves may give some the illusion of safety, they were useless. I’ll pick the prescriptions off the floor in a day or so and leave the change sit for a few days. I know any trace of the virus will be dead by then.

8 Likes

Rhode Island is taking action;

Cuomo needs to lock down his State now!

4 Likes

Oh I dunno mate does it matter where they are from if they get sick? It really shouldn’t be every state for themselves it kinda goes against the principal of The UNITED States of America doesn’t it

7 Likes

Exactly, we are in a shelter in place order, until Everybody gets on the same page for 14 days its gonna spread!

4 Likes

The simple math of the subject if we don’t quarantine. 70% of the population of the U.S. will contract the disease. The mortality rate is 7% of that. In the U.S. that comes to around 19 million.

4 Likes

Too true!
Gloves not changed between transactions are only protecting the person wearing them.
The gloves become infected the first time you touch something.
People would be better off using hand sanitiser in between each transaction- problem that, there’s not much hand sanitiser to be had.

I collect my mail from a bag in a box 5 km down the road.
I open the farm gate (multiple users), drive through, close, wipe down car steering wheel, door handle, hand brake, gearstick - use hand sanitiser on hands & bottle.
Collect mail, wipe mail if possible put on floor, then close bag, box then use hand sanitiser again.
Yes, it’s a pain in the ass but…
We will always have people who flout the “rules” or “advice” & we are human, you can’t do all the things all the time.

To err is human.
Trust no-one :wink:

5 Likes

where did this number come from? I keep seeing it popping up but 14 days really isn’t going to do shit. Other countries are dealing with it for monthS. Wuhan is only now starting to relax their restrictions.

4 Likes

And another number that is so bizarre. The most recent estimates is that the mortality rate is more like 0.8% in the rest of the world. Why would it be different in the US?

7 Likes

It’s the norm for me :laughing: I’m too “frugal” to pay for lunch :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t know, I don’t work for the CDC. But the way it’s going 14 days is going to turn into 14 months!

3 Likes

Initially I wanted to vote as can’t decide. Then changed to yes. But only for those situations when a bunch of people go and party at the beach or in college towns.

3 Likes

No idea how to answer. Not sure about the question.

Do I think there will be? Maybe, especially in places like Michigan where Gretchen loves to assert her power.

Do I think should be? Depends on how it’s done. More good than harm is always good.

Do I think there can be? Sure, declare marshal law and away we go!

3 Likes

All numbers are estimations. Thing to not forget is that 0.8% mortality rate is taken in the earliest stage when hospitals and stuff are not totally overcrowded with patients. When they are then those numbers can explode much higher which is happening in Italy for example (and important thing to remember, Italy has an excellent health system, more hospital beds than most other developed countries, they have universal healthcare which is important factor as well and they have pretty strict isolation rules for quite some time; now imagine those Italy’s numbers in worse environments…)

4 Likes

To lockdown one or three state is asinine IMO. Anywhere there is at least one case is a possibility spreading the virus. These state by state measures will end in failure IMO. Trump made a comment that made sense to me… “Go Big Or Go Home!” With numbers rising everyday nationwide I think a much broader solution is needed… at least until a successful treatment or cure is discovered.

BTW… This thread might just be a hypothetical anyway…

4 Likes

The WHO believe that almost all covid-19 patients won’t be infectious enough to pass on the virus after 14 days from the onset of symptoms.

4 Likes

The US (and the UK) are both currently only testing patients as they’re being admitted to hospital, so a relatively low number of people already fairly desperately unwell - it’s hardly surprising that an alarming proportion of them test positive.

Other countries, most notably South Korea, started a vigorous preventative regime really early in their infection cycle of testing contacts of patients and the wider community so they could be isolated before spreading the virus on to too many others. So very large sample sizes with relatively low positive results.

The reality is that the number of known infections in both the US and UK are drastically under stated, perhaps by x10 or x20 the declared statistics.

5 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t accept any data from China. Compared to how the rates and numbers elsewhere are going, I don’t see how a country with a population of nearly 1.4 billion can top out at just ~82k total cases, while for example the 60 million population of Italy has 10k more and climbing. For all we know they have 15 million cases but aren’t telling anyone.

4 Likes