Expired concentrates questions

shit well, I have already spent way too much on things I don’t need or won’t use in 3 years. If I keep them in a separate fridge you think I’ll be alright?

4 Likes

Yes, my dear, you will be alright. Not putting them in the fridge will be alright too. Personally, the condensation does more harm to your flavors than keeping them in a cool dark place. I keep mine in the “office” in the basement and before that in an air-conditioned bedroom office. For the candy side of things, I have had flavors for years and on the vape side of things I have had them for years also and never a one has gone bad. Now, that’s not to say they can’t go
bad.

That raises a point of curiosity for me. I wonder how many people had a concentrate go bad and which one if that can be remembered. I literally have a concentrate from my very first set of purchases. LOL At this point I don’t use it anymore and I keep it for sentimental reasons… I think.

9 Likes

My fruits and candies have lasted forever with no off-puting flavor, but there was a cream and I think it may have been Sweet Cream that went bad on me. I remember it because Sweet Cream to me, smells of vomit but tastes great when mixed. This particular bottle tasted as bad as it smelled no matter what I mixed it with. I’m not sure how old it was but I figure it had to be about three years old. I usually dump any cream that turns dark-dark now because once you taste a bad one, it sticks in the mind. Much easier to just buy a fresh one.

10 Likes

Funny you should mention TFA sweet cream as my approximately 4 year old bottle was much darker than I remembered it being so I bought a new one which is considerably lighter in colour.
To be honest I was still using it and not noticing anything bad about it.

Conversely I had a bottle of 18mg Mother’s Milk that I had completely forgot about. I bought it when I visited Hollywood about 7 years ago, thinking I should try it after all I’d read about it.
That had turned basically black!

It has been in my bar fridge for all that time after I initially tasted it and basically been ignored.
My thoughts were it’s the nicotine that degraded it but I could be wrong.

8 Likes

I’ve kept more than one for so call sentimental reasons, haven’t used them for a few years but something makes me hold on. :crazy_face:

When I started I was concerned about the heat and kept everything in a bar fridge on the lowest setting. But a few years down the track I only store bulk and unopened double ups in the fridge. Once I open them they tend to stay on my desk at room temperature.

My theory being drastic changes in temperature was worse.

It’s a little out of control at the moment. :rofl:

7 Likes

That’s exactly what happened @Gazza7. I’ve got big bottles of TPA Sweet Cream, and some are older, all of them smell like BA (bleh), BUT, I use them, as it blends/fades in mixes, and even the old ones are only slightly yellow, vs. clear.

6 Likes

@marsh8 that has been advised by MFG’s before. Even WITH that warning/recommendation from them, I can’t NOT keep my all natural extracts (i.e. Medicine Flower) in the fridge. I did try a brief stint with my artificial flavors (most) and some didn’t seem to like the fridge as much, so they have been living at room temp in their entirety since.

7 Likes

Yeah some prime culprits in my experience were AP, TFA Brown Sugar and Malted Milk, they hate the fridge!

5 Likes

those orange ones all custard premium eh…why chefs only have 10ml bottles i wonder…

4 Likes

Remember that at Chef’s, Flavour Creative is repackaged FA. And cheaper.

6 Likes

I think the bigger question is why do you need to keep them at all if your not using them? Starting out on the whole DIY quest for great e-juice recipes you like will lead to waste initially because no one knows what works for them until they try. That being said, once you find what you like and you have enough recipes to rotate (in my case it was (24) 70/30 and (10) 50/50, why go any further? I like to vape because it is a better choice than smoking but I’m also interested in to many other things to be consumed by finding the holy grail of e-juice tastes which if you think about it will never be found. Also use excel spread sheets to track everything from flavors to e-juice consumption, wire, cotton etc. so I don’t have to go crazy figuring out what I need to order each time current supplies get low. I do use a small 3.2 Cu ft refrigerator with most of the shelving taken out to store flavors, PG, VG and E-Juice that won’t be consumed right away. Nicotine is keep in regular freezer along with meat and everything else. Keeping air out of storage containers also means re bottling when to much space is left in any one container.

Example is: When at home I use (12) 70/30 e-juices at a time and consume them at 2ml each regardless of tank size in rotation. I make each e-juice in 120ml quantities and let them steep for 1 month regardless of if they need it or not in 120ml dark glass bottles. When I start consuming them I transfer each 120ml into one 60ml glass bottle, one 30ml glass bottle and one 30ml squeeze bottle. When squeeze is done I refill it with 30ml glass and wash the glass out for next time use. When second squeeze is done I transfer 60ml to 30ml glass and 30ml squeeze. Average time it takes for me to consume all 12 bottles of 120ml is 9 months so while in storage the unused e-juice is in dark glass, filled to the top to reduce contact with air and refrigerated to help maintain flavor. This works well for me not only with juice but PG, VG, Flavors and Nic and lets me live my life for months before I have to start messing around with DIY again.

Well there I go again writing way to much about stuff you didn’t ask for. Not funny how I answered your question in the first line and then went on a rant - sorry.

6 Likes

In my experience (at least some) flavors do change and get darker in color (and same do our mixes). Sugar cookie CAP is one example; it gets weaker and darker after long time and it noticeably changes. I was vaping mainly a version of Castle Long when i started my journey and it was really good, but then i left an opened bottle for about a year (at room temperature) and it became extremely dark, nearly black and the coconut jumped ahead tremendously, while before it was perfectly balanced; it became nearly unvapable solo, so i used it as the best coconut flavor i had at that time (and it became extremely strong; while the optimal mix was about 15-20% solo before, i used it as a coconut flavor at about 2% later).

(this is purely my opinion here and no doubt others have other experiences, but… your mixes change with time too; some for better, some for worse, so it means sometimes you will have to change the amounts of particular flavors in your recipe if you plan to hold them for a loooong time; change of color is easily recognizable for many. That’s the reason i don’t mix big bottles; i rarely go over 10ml at a time and i never went over 30ml. Note: this is just my practice that works for me and it’s not necessarily the best one; i believe most mix differently. I would also assume that flavor’s degradation is much slower in cold environment, but that’s just my guessing. I hold mine at room temperature).

For the same reason my advise to newbies would be, buy amounts you think you will use (they write ‘best before’ for a reason) and don’t jump on 30ml of unknown flavors; you can always buy more later (at least until our masters don’t ban flavors as well). Personal opinion, if i had a chance to choose, i’d always rather use freshly bought flavor, than the one that was sitting in a closet at room temperature for 4 years (in theory ofc, because i also have a hundred+ flavors that are 4+ years old).

7 Likes

All those orange ones are the FA new releases. It is organised chaos on the desk, but it works for me.

5 Likes

Absolutely…I keep all my flaves in fridge , I also keep my open Nic in their as well

6 Likes

its ok man I am actually bookmarking your response, this IS useful information to me. the way I have been with my nic and additives hasn’t been careful and there’s no reason for it. Thank you!

4 Likes

Since a picture is worth 1000 words I am including 3 pictures showing what I use to store the flavors etc from previous post to your thread. First time using picture upload sight so not sure it will work. If not I’ll try again .
https://imgur.com/a/YXfvMPj

6 Likes