Extreme Sour?

Looking to recreate an extreme sour taste?
You know the sourness that draws your cheeks in and borders on an almost unpleasant but strangely compelling and addictive in equal measuresLOL
Is this achieved by a large malic acid % or citric acid or combination of the 2?
Has anyone achieved this flavour profile?

The powder on the outside of a warhead candy (if you’ve ever had those) is malic acid if that helps at all. :wink:

1 Like

I’m with you on wanting the sour of sour flavor possible. I tried Super Sour from wizard labs but it just muted all other flavors. Tried sweet and sour from TFA, but just tasted like smarties and muted over time also. After months and lots of muted juices I GAVE UP! So now when I need that sour kick I just sip a little pickle juice from the jar in the fridge. When my daughter was young she would take the pickle juice and freeze it to make pickle pops. That’s what flavor I wanted.

Good luck wish I could help .

1 Like

@JoJo I could spend some time collecting that? LOL
@Ggrhauling much the same here?
Frustrating!
Maybe there’s something we are missing?
Or else the malic % could be higher in the concentrate?
Most of the sour flavours we get are 20% mixture! maybe something like 50% or above coupled with a higher % of CA ?
But then we would have more muting?
There must be something we are missing because confect urging manufacturers manage this without any adverse effect of the flavour?
Sorry, thinking aloud here but hopefully you catch my drift?

I hear you. I’ll keep an eye on this thread hopefully some of the veterans will enlighten us with their vast knowledge of sour perfection. Sorry wasn’t more help.

1 Like

You can buy malic or citric acid in powder form and mix it with some PG as high as you want or at least as high as will dissolve. The premixed concentrates may contain some form of maltol that is causing the muting but I’m not sure. Like I said, I’ve never really tried. Might try Amazon or just google malic acid powder. I thought there was a vape vendor that sold it but I can’t remember which one.

1 Like

From what I’ve read FlavourArt’s new Sour Wizard may be stronger than other additives.
It’s available from Onestop Diy Shop and Nicotine River (or FA-UK for us lot).

1 Like

I’ve seen this citric acid at wal-mart in the mason jar area and this link is Ace hardware
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17822036&KPID=14766460&pla=pla_14766460

1 Like

TPA
Sour Flavor (NOT SWEET AND SOUR) JUST SOUR!!!
Water soluble.
This is a sour note that can be used with other flavors for a “sour-candy” effect.

It is Malic Acid at a 20% dilution in Propylene Glycol.
It is sour. I use it but more often than not I will mixt up a 50/50 mix of it and VG so it’s only 10%

TPA see above post @JoJo

I was talking about just the powder, not a concentrate. I know a lot of vendors sell the pre-mixed concentrate, but Chewy said 20% wasn’t enough to get the effect wanted.

1 Like

@JoJo
Yes I’ve seen the malic powder also on a vendors site, but like yourself can’t for the life of me remember which one? LOL
I’ve got,and mix, the citric Acid and love how at very small percentages can change a flavour.
As I said with the TPA Sour, I am getting sour notes but not sour enough!
I will track down the malic powder and give that a try? Maybe even a malic/ citric combination?

1 Like

This is not where I saw it, but ECX has it. I think it was either NN or Heartland or Vaperstek but none of them have it now.

1 Like

This might be what you are looking for

1 Like

It’s 40% malic acid

1 Like

Thanks @JoJo
@GPC2012 that looks more promising? Thanks

I’ll bill you. lmao

1 Like

@GPC2012 LOL
Try and keep the cost down? LOL

Real Flavors. Under additives on their site.
https://www.realflavors.com/collections/flavor-additives

1 Like

If you get citric acid go to a health food store or Amazon don’t get the canning stuff. I’m almost positive that has other additives in it. You want pure citric acid powder if you really want to get in depth with it abdada did a write up on it on Reddit.