Favorite quotes

Welcome to ELR @LagartijaNick. Not too many come in, and quote Frank in their first post.

9 Likes

Great Quote, Huge Fan of Frank Zappa’s.
He had many insightful and outspoken quotes/comments. About the State & mentality of the Middle Class. As well the Government being the greatest threat to our Nation. Which ended up being prophetic in hindsight.
He was a genius with an IQ of 179 (had to fact check that before posting).
Very prolific Avante Garde Musician that amassed over 60 albums over his expansive career.

7 Likes

“Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly.”
Plutarch

5 Likes

“Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.”
Voltaire

4 Likes

“What makes you think human beings are sentient and aware? There’s no evidence for it. Human beings never think for themselves, they find it too uncomfortable. For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told-and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity, and the characteristic result is religious warfare. Other animals fight for territory or food; but, uniquely in the animal kingdom, human beings fight for their ‘beliefs.’ The reason is that beliefs guide behavior which has evolutionary importance among human beings. But at a time when our behavior may well lead us to extinction, I see no reason to assume we have any awareness at all. We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion.”
Michael Crichton

4 Likes

”Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.”
Aristotle

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @LagartijaNick I hope you enjoy your time here.

4 Likes

I still like the story my friends told me about Frank. Back in the 60s they headed out to the West Coast and happened to run into him on the strip. They asked where they could score some dope and he told them he didn’t do drugs and explained why they shouldn’t either. Blew THEIR minds :rofl: Perfect example of making assumptions about people just because of how they look or behave.

6 Likes

Great Story, Can’t read a book by its cover.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome @D.Sims @SessionDrummer @Mark_Turner and @muth

3 Likes

“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”
Confucius

4 Likes

“Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.”
Mark Twain

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better if we reduced Politics?

3 Likes

Are they considered population? :rofl:

3 Likes

If you mean politic(ian)s, i don’t know about that. Or do you mean reducing quotes of active politicians (quotes of past politicians, historical figures are still acceptable)? If the latter, then i don’t agree with; what they say is important since they are temporary decision makers and may affect our future (their quotes have more weight than other’s quotes and ‘we the people’ should be aware if some disturbing sayings appear). I believe having open forums and social networks, not silenced ones or censored or narrative dictated is one of the great achievements of freedom that we shouldn’t give away easily (or even promote this like an achievement, like ‘they’ want us to believe with all that coming censorship on internet).

3 Likes

I’m Italian so maybe I’m a little bit frustrated about decades of bad politicians. Well, they securely influence the future, there’s no doubt, but they seem not to understand it, they work only to promulgate their own power rather than to build a future in a long term. I don’t care about right or wrong, mine maybe different from yours, so it’d be too much speculative to find the real direction, but actually there’s no direction at all.
Last but not least we can talk about freedom, yes we have it, but is it real? We can talk, we can write, we can even dissent, and this is great, we are on the bright side of the Earth. This doesn’t change anything at all.

4 Likes

“Meaningful silence is better than meaningless words.”
Pythagoras

6 Likes

“Have more than you show, speak less than you know.”
William Shakespeare

5 Likes

Hey Nick, do you have regular conversation or just quotes? :rofl:

7 Likes

I can have regular conversation too! :joy:

5 Likes