Favourite winter meal?

Ok… a bit off topic, but… my birthday day is coming up and my wife just asked me what is my favourite meal? really tough call!!! So i am putting it out there…Favourite winter meal? Christmas dishes don’t count because we will be having loads of those anyway.

2 Likes

I agree that is about impossible… same as naming your favorite musician , it simply depends on the atmosphere and the state of mind at that particular moment.
I will always be fond of a nice thick steak grilled medium rare,baked potato , and a slice of Texas toast and a salad of course!
Of course there are times I prefer a grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of tomato soup or a nice warm bowl of gumbo served over some rice.

4 Likes

Googled and now hungry :joy:

This would probably be the UK version:

As for favourite winter meal…crikey! I can narrow it down to a bowl of Scouse or Irish Stew along with crusty bread and butter for the really cold days. For luxury I’d say Lobster Thermidore. Or for general purposes anything with melted cheese in! In fact…too many choices cos I’m a right foodie/home cooker lol :blush:

4 Likes

Probably the same for most folks but I consider Texas toast to be a thick slice of sourdough bread toasted with garlic butter and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
I have used plain white bread on many occasions though!:grinning:

3 Likes

MMM…Weatehr will be too cold for Lobster as will be in a ski resort…But i like the stew idea and BoyHowdy’s steak…

I am now thinking hot chicken liver pate crostini to start and then a rib of beef with beef jus, truffle mash, cumin carrots, and spinach… Easy, quick cook, as will have friends over.

3 Likes

Sounds delish! :yum:

2 Likes

Or… fois gras to start, then beef wellington and the same veg???

2 Likes

Or do a meat fondue?

2 Likes

The list is long and I am a large guy
Brunswick stew
Chili beans
Chicken pot pie
Shepard’s pie
Chicken and dumplings
Potatoe soup

All great comfort foods and warm you up foods.

5 Likes

We were planning on doing chili this evening and baked potatoes (probably with the chili on top… and cheese). But starting to get second thoughts after seeing someone mention gumbo, which I haven’t made in 3 or 4 months.

5 Likes

I do that with Foccacia and add a few sprigs of rosemary

2 Likes

I lurve Chilli!.. Do you add coke or chocolate to it?

no… but I have heard of people adding chocolate.

The coke is nice as it gives it a choco lime kind of hit

Easy choice…Granny Laveau’s Sunday supper.

Boudin stuffed venison backstrap

Blue crab stuffed flounder fillets

Gumbo-laya with gator

Corn casserole

Fruit stuffed Beignets

6 Likes

And to start a war… Yes chili has beans in it!

2 Likes

LOL…But not too many!

Holy crap. Let me know when it’s ready. I’m coming to your house for dinner.

3 Likes

oooh…sounds great!.. Not too easy to get those ingredients up a mountain in France though… Or in fact anywhere in France except for Paris.

Always , it is written in the book of Man Law! Rule # 121 page 23 , paragraph B.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like