Favourite winter meal?

@BoyHowdy lives less than an hour from me by car. Although anything from Pappadeaux’s is delicious, @Rob62 is hiding the best thing to eat at his house…his wife’s homemade Chimichangas [with Rob’s smoked pork]. When I visit @Rob62 I just call him and tell him when to have his Lear Jet pick me up. It’s a little farther to your house…but just schedule with him earlier.

4 Likes

Yep Best in town

2 Likes

let me now when and
How about
Caesar Salad for starters
then we’ll move on to something like
whole suckling pig on the grill
slow roasted and smoked
finished high and mighty to crisp crust on the skin
With that comes roasted in the husk corn on the cob
Dutch oven red potatoes made with bacon, cheese, galic, onions, mushrooms, and beer.
broil/baked sour dough bread with herb butter
dessert
homemade vanilla bean ice cream
Fresh peach cobbler/pie.
Ice tea and beer by the gallons

3 Likes

I’d best start saving up lol…that’s a heavenly sounding meal :+1::grin:

1 Like

Like hell it does! :mad: :laughing:
Chili has no beans. That’s a “Damn Yankee” thing!

Oh… And “since it’s on@BoyHowdy you obviously have never had REAL Texas Toast! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

roflmao

2 Likes

Just say beans anytime they say or write it, you’ll never win the argument even though ARE RIGHT ingredients for chili
meat
seasonings
meat
seasonings
liquid
aroatics cooked into nothingness but the flavor that is

3 Likes

thought you Aussies had an affinity for Guyana lizards. lmao

That’s what Crocodile Dundee and his friends liked as long as you have garlic anyway. lmao

1 Like

Turkey rissoles with bubble and squeak and Turkey gravy, always on boxing day (left overs) I look forward to that more than my xmas dinner :ok_hand:

2 Likes

@GPC2012 you and I are peas in a pod sir!

Though I can’t give our Ozzie friends a single word of static when it comes to lamb! I love the stuff! It’s right up there with deer and duck in my book! Though beef has always been #1 for me, that’s largely been due to price and availability I believe.

If lamb, duck, or venison were more prevalent (and affordable), I know I’d be eating a lot more of them! I love game!

2 Likes

I’ll make sweaters, keep the sheep alive and eat the same as you only replace the lamb with elk. I’d sure love to have another one of them. @Sprkslfly

2 Likes

In the Fall, in the Winter, In the Spring and Oh and in the Summer please

2 Likes

Liver of any type?? PASS :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

I’ll take ‘sweaty sock’ over liver ANY day! rofl

3 Likes

I can only eat bodily organs if I pretend they’re just meat. Soon as I think about it I canst eat it. Which is ridiculous given that I eat meat…it’s just the internal organ thing…makes me shudder :grimacing:

3 Likes

I’ll second the chicken and dumplings!

3 Likes

I have started to enjoy making baked spaghetti recently , it’s fairly quick and easy .

Have you tried external organs, much nicer :wink:

1 Like

Potato sausage stew with cheddar biscuits. It’s not fancy but warms up the house and the soul. :yum:

3 Likes

To produce “foie gras” (the French term means “fatty liver”), workers ram pipes down the throats of male ducks twice each day, pumping up to 2.2 pounds of grain and fat into their stomachs, or geese three times a day, up to 4 pounds daily, in a process known as “gavage.” The force-feeding causes the birds’ livers to swell to up to 10 times their normal size. Many birds have difficulty standing because their engorged livers distend their abdomens, and they may tear out their own feathers and attack each other out of stress.

The birds are kept in tiny cages or crowded sheds. Unable to bathe or groom themselves, they become coated with excrement mixed with the oils that would normally protect their feathers from water. One Newsweek reporter who visited a foie gras factory farm described the ducks as “listless” and “often lame from foot infection due to standing on metal grilles during the gavage.” Other common health problems include damage to the esophagus, fungal infections, diarrhea, impaired liver function, heat stress, lesions, and fractures of the sternum. Some ducks die of aspiration pneumonia, which occurs when grain is forced into the ducks’ lungs or when birds choke on their own vomit. In one study, birds force-fed for foie gras had a mortality rate up to 20 times that of a control group of birds who were not force-fed.

Since foie gras is made from the livers of only male ducks, all female ducklings—40 million of them each year in France alone—are useless to the industry and are therefore simply tossed into grinders, live, so that their bodies can be processed into fertilizer or cat food.

1 Like

I personally I don’t think foie gras is the problem, there are ethical producers out there. The birds will naturally overeat before their long migration. This is what the mass produced farmers are doing when they replicate using the methods outlined above. Yes the ethical producers don’t have as big livers, etc. so rather then stop eating. Make sure you tell your chefs you will only eat ethical stuff. Same with suppliers.

We do some really horrible things to animals in the name of food it’s true. I love the stuff though. I know I’ll be looked at like the nazi sympathisers in 50 years, how did they not stop it. Hopefully technology can help us and in the near future we can eat what we want without harm or suffering to the animals. We are going to need help anyway to feed the extra billions of people, conventional methods ain’t going to cut it.

2 Likes

Nothing better than a bowl of Chili and some buttered cornbread to fill yo up and get you warmed up on a bitter cold day. And yes Chili has beans in this house for sure.

4 Likes