February's Mix this Mix thread

To save the copyright issue, here is my recipe

it’s a variation on Stephanie Alexander’s (Aussies will know who she is, think Martha Stewart but awesome) .I made 2 Pav’s for Christmas that were brilliant. I replace caster sugar with raw caster sugar, but fine if you only have normal caster sugar. Heston Blumenthal trick. Actually for those in the u.s. I think you call it confectioners sugar. This recipe is the most reliable pav recipe I make. The meringue should be crispy on the outside and marshmallow on the inside, for those not sure if it worked properly. Will serve 8 comfortably but preferably 3 or 4 if you get my drift.

Vols pav

• 4 egg whites @room temp
  • Pinch of salt
  • 250g raw caster(superfine) sugar - if you don’t have raw that will be fine too.
  • 2 tsp cornflour
  • 1 tsp white wine vinegar
  • Couple drops of vanilla essence
  • 500ml thickened cream
  • 10 passion fruit pulp
  • Mixed berries - your choice I prefer raspberry
  • Optional - kiwi fruit sliced thinly

Preheat oven 180°c
Draw 20cm circle on baking paper to go on baking sheet.
Beat egg whites to satin peaks.
Beat in sugar third at a time till mix is stiff & shiny
Fold in cornflour, vinegar & vanilla.
Mound onto paper Lined tray keep within circle. Flatten top and smooth sides. I like a slightly concave top.
Place in oven and reduce to 150°c immediately.
Cook for 30 minutes
Reduce to 120°c and cook for further 45 minutes.
Turn off oven and leave to cool completely.
When cool whip the thickened cream (if you are a sweet tooth like me I add some sugar) to stiff.
Put base on a platter, sometimes easiest just to invert. Smooth on cream onto top, place berries and fruits on top however you like and drizzle the passionfruit pulp over it. Voila! Happy Australia day.( I know the kiwis really invented it. We stole it we are convicts remember.)

Edit: changed confectioners sugar to superfine, my Aussie to American ingredient translation got mixed up.

5 Likes

We are not too far away from each other lol I’m only in Illinois :; anyway I hear it’s beautiful out there

1 Like

That sounds amazing!!

Love a good pav @Rupert has a pav mix I mixed up the other day. Yet to try it - I made a peach and mango version and a passionfruit and raspberry.

1 Like

I’m all over it…fun that is :slight_smile: So I notice the recipes posted all are called Summer Berry Custard Squares. Is that what you want to see? I would be happy calling it whatever just curious.

1 Like

I came up with this one for Christmas in 2015, and it was good then, but might require a little bit of tweaking :slight_smile: I am thinking that adding 1-2% FA Marshmallow would go well in here also…

2 Likes

What % do you use of the base in a mix?

You can call it whatever you like, i went with the recipe name for the mixing process. No idea what i will call it when it is over tho.

Hehehe funny you should mention that

1 Like

I made flavor base and used it at 10% and added 1.5% passionfruit fa and .5% raspberry inw

2 Likes

@Ken_O_Where So I have an idea… but I have a question first. Do we need to publish the recipe we come up with? I havnt published anything, this would actually be my first original mix, hopefully it comes out great but just curios if we should put it in and make it public?

3 Likes

That is entirely up to you. :slight_smile:

Exactly why we are doing this, to teach/learn and to get an insight into the methods of other mixers. It would be fantastic if you would share the mix with us, if you are comfortable with doing so. This way if you have any questions others would hopefully be able to help. No pressure tho, this is all just for fun.

I published mine to make it easier to find this thread for those who might not visit the forums that often.

EDIT: BTW, im up in Cheeselandia.

3 Likes

Post it. I will try one of your mixes. You are learning at a far faster rate than I am. Pretty impressive.

2 Likes

I have no problem sharing at all, I just don’t think my first stab at this is going to be all that great lol most people only publish there finished perfected work… I think anyway… Cheesland ey?? We lived there for 3 years my daughter was born there then we moved back to flat land last year to be closer to family

1 Like

Thanks @TheTinMan1 that means a lot to me though I think you are doing just fine brother!!

1 Like

Obviosly a first attempt lol ,

Pie Crust

Graham cracker V1 , golden butter , brown sugar , Acetyl Pyrazine, hazelnut grove

note for pie crust it was a toss up i really wanted to use cookie FA but love a graham crust

Filling

VC V1 , meringue , almond , vanilla , strawberry ( rex touch ) , sweet strawberry, raspberry

i listed it this way so people could see my intentions , im sure ill tweak this ( not often i get it right the first try )

4 Likes

Who does :grinning: and that looks pretty good to me. I love graham cracker too - I used to use it as a stand alone for biscuit bases now I find I use a combo of cookie and marzipan it gives me an almond meal type flavor which is my pie crust biscuit crust combo.

2 Likes

ty i appreciate the kind words , this mix has a lot of flaves in it , ill try to do a simple one as well i was going to replace the Rasp with forest fruit but decided to stay with recipe

1 Like

ive been trying to do a almond coconut milk , i wonder if i add some marzipan if it will help ???

1 Like

Coconut Marzipan 5-1

Ingredient %
Almond (FA) 0.5
Cake Batter (CAP) 3
Coconut Extra (TPA) 1.5
Dairy Milk (TPA) 2.5
Glazed Doughnut (CAP) 3
Marzipan (FA) 2
Sugar Cookie (CAP) 3

Flavor total: 15.5%

is my little twist to

Mr Beard’s recipe - http://tjek.nu/r/4EKZ

Both of them quite nice I am sure it could be adapted to a more cream less cake type mix (o/t I know)

2 Likes