First Blast of Bad Weather in Michigan

I think I told a few of you guys before what happens when the first blast of cold air comes in up here.

This is the west side of Michigan (Eastern Shore of Lake Michigan)

I went and took pictures of the waves. The wind is exceptional this time. At times it felt about 45 mph sustained with some 60 mph gusts. I could barely stand up and could not safely get any closer.

I hope some of you think this is cool :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Saw some pics on IG the other day of guys surfing on the west side. We got some light mixed/snow tonight over here by lk st clair. pretty uncool looking out my window so I didn’t do any of my errands I had planned.

1 Like

Yeah that walk was not pleasant, trust me. My face was getting blasted with ice balls. It hurt!

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

WOW - awesome photos - it really does come straight across to you!

1 Like

Usually it doesn’t wait this long to hit us. This time it was day and night…on Friday it was almost 70 degrees. It’s 31 degrees right now. The other thing that can happen on a year like this is the Great Lakes are still warm. If a “serious” blast from Canada comes in below 20 degrees the lakes turn into a snow machine and we will get Lake Effect snow to 7-10 miles inland that can almost bury us. I might be getting some really good snow pictures this year :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cannot wait to see those (taken from a safe distance of course!) :smiley:

2 Likes

From the other side of the Mitten

The good news: This blast of windy weather finally blew the last of my leaves down.

The bad news: Now I get to clean them out of the gutters, in this weather.

Awesome pics!

3 Likes

That wind actually blew most of them into my neighbors yard thank the Heavens :-):joy: But yes, leaves are very irritating.

Thanks for sharing this, beautiful for sure but yes bitter cold…I know what you mean even FL is experiencing very odd temps today.
80F yesterday and around 49F this morning won’t make it out of the low 60’s today which is drastic in temps. for a Floridian. lol

3 Likes

In about a month I start being very jealous of you folks :slight_smile: 30 degrees is 30 degrees and it hurts!

2 Likes

I agree I won’t be here in another month but visiting now hee hee it’s supposed to only last a day or two and by Thanksgiving be back in the 80’s at this rate winter will be half over. Pffh I have been in Wa. or Or. state the last 2 winters so I haven’t even pulled my jackets prob won’t need them too much headed to NC for the rest of the winter then prob back to Wa. state around first of spring.

Michagan gets soo bitter cold and all that snow oh no I could not do that…you’re stronger than me. I’m born and bread in the south so anything under 40F and I get sweat suits on or jackets and long pants lol

I know, it sucks. I moved away to PNW for years… It’s getting harder. My husband and I are going to be snow birds when he retires. We have 6 more years to go and we’ll move into an RV down there in the winter.

1 Like

Right after August all the family tourists go home and then the snow birds come to be able to even rent a slot for an RV on the West ( Gulf Coast ) will cost you around 500-600$ per month in the winter they go fast then on the East ( Atlantic Coast) it runs around 850.00$ in the summer Idk about their winter fees I’d bet they’d be a tad lower but my fiance’s family camps often and they always have to reserve their slots early bc they fill up so quickly.

We’re talking just above Tampa ( Crystal River area ) West coast & Right outside of Daytona Beach and South of St. Augustine Fl. for the East coast.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Here’s one more picture that shows how dangerous it would have been to climb the breaker rocks for better shots… the water and sand was literally shooting up between the rocks. You can see the lighthouse in the background.

I just couldn’t do it.

I watched 2 young guys standing too close to the breaker wall in the channel get hit with a wave.

3 Likes

We are looking around south of Tampa. My Grandmother had a mobile home down there, I liked that area.

1 Like

That’s a nice area just North of Naples I really like the Bonita Springs area down there…least I did once haven’t been down there in around 6 years.

2 Likes

There’s days I think I could rob a bank to live in the Keys but you know that little prison problem and all that. I can still drive there and look at them though :slight_smile:

Damn rich people anyway, right?

1 Like

I agree 100% A nice drive to visit and then return to your humble abode. The hospital isn’t very large down there any ways I can’t imagine any cutting edge science going on and well not that your trying to go there but getting older we all want top notch care. Naples has a great hospital system on the other hand :smile:

2 Likes

You are right on par with real! A low crime rate is like #1 on the list, then access to docs, then …yeah.

We are planning a couple of two week trips in the winter to see what our options are. Texas and along the Gulf aren’t totally off the radar yet either.

1 Like