First coils

So I somehow broke my metal cutters last week when I was cutting a lead on a set of premade coils. I got another RTA kit online. That kit turned out to be a coil master diy v3 clone.

I just wanted it for the metal cutters but it came with 10 feet of kantrol wire. So I started messing around with making my own coils.

After about 8 coils I finally made a set that read as .3 ohms. I did use steam engine for the wraps.

I’m still doing more research on coil wrapping and I do need to get a real ohm reader. The one that came with the clone was so bad that when I put the battery in and the rda on top.

it started firing right off the bat even though it was switched to ohm reading mode. I had to hurry up and take the battery out and that sucker was so hot. I have never seen a Samsung 18650 get that hot like that.

I think this will be a lot of work for me but I also think I’m going to enjoy making different kinds of coils.

I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to make super crazy ones but at least now I make my juice and coils

If anyone has any recommendations on a good ohm reader I would love to hear it. Also any tips on improving my coil making abilities.

9 Likes

My coil master OHM reader bit the dust so listening too

6 Likes

I build on my mods. Turn the power off while building. Turn it on before wicking. It will give you your ohms and since most mods are regulated it will tell you if there is a short. Do a couple of pulse fires to burn off residue and see if it’s heating from the center out and make any adjustments. Turn off and allow to cool. When cool it is time to wick then prime.

9 Likes

I do too. Once you get used to building, and all that anxiety wears off, it becomes a whole lot easier. It’s second nature now.

8 Likes

Thanks! Great info

3 Likes

Well I take Xanax for anxiety so doubt my anxiety will ever wear off BUT yes I can get more comfortable doing it :star_struck:

6 Likes

I just use a single or dual spaced 3.0MM ID 26g SS316L. Wrap it six times, pull the coils apart (while it’s in the jig), smoosh it back together and voila. Easy like Sunday Morning.

11 Likes

@Vaporraven I use this, or you can buy the TAB solo …

3 Likes

My biggest problem is trying to line up the leads on the same size. How far apart do you space them. I also always thought that if a coil was spaced you would have a higher change of the coil getting burnt hits

3 Likes

I think it’s the opposite really, since the heat is better distributed with spaced wraps. I do know I get better flavor with spaced vs. the same build not spaced. I’ll try to find a pic of the spacing but I don’t know the measurement. Basically I pull them well apart, then just push the coil back together and it remains a little spaced.

*Deleted my lame-o pic because Southern’s is way way better.

6 Likes

I’m going to have to try that. I order a 22 to 34 awg set from Amazon as well as some 100-ft titanium spool and 100 ft Nichrome spool.

5 Likes

I am not familiar with the physical properties of that wire, so I can’t tell you what the spacing with that will look like. SS316L is pretty springy and retains spacing perfectly for me. The others may too, I dunno.

4 Likes

Ti02 holds it’s shape well based on what I have read and Nichrome is very similar to K1 wire and I’m super excited to use the SS316l on Wednesday

6 Likes

I never worry about trying to build to exact Ohms. I plan for a Target after using Vape Tool Android App and if I come reasonably close I’m good with it. Say I’m shooting for 0.4 Ohms and my wrapped coil reads 0.364, that’s good enough. Of course if I’m using a mech I take the final actual reading and punch into Ohms law calculator and make double sure but I’m normally never close to the limit anyways.

Read up on the different wire materials. Some shouldn’t be superheated to a glow and are best off just waiting till your wicked and juiced. I believe that Kanthol is the only wire that you heat and bond together, others don’t form the layer that insulates against the adjacent wraps that touch.

4 Likes

IMG_0523

23 days since I started using the RTA, am on my second coil (fried the first one trying to clean it -doh).
The second coil is going strong, re-wicked again last night after 4? Days - I forgot how long.
It was pretty gross but it cleaned up well.

I am stoked that I actually gave this a go.
The flavour is great!!
And I’m saving money, I would have used at least 3 pre-made attys over this length of time.

I too have “built” this on my mod - was nervous at first too but I have had no probs :smile:

10 Likes

You will quickly gain confidence, calm, I think it is quite easy, do a few and that’s it

5 Likes

That’s my first 26g 316l spaced dual coil set up on the vandy vape kensei. I I’m still having trouble with getting the first and last wrap to be uniform but that 9 wrap each is reading at .33 ohms

5 Likes

I can’t get this to read in TC mode on my shikra but it works fine on the sobra

3 Likes

Sorry, no help here - i’m lazy and only use wattage.
Something else I can learn :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s just really weird and I don’t know anything about TCR yet. But the sobra in TCR is .0033 and it works okay and .0033 on the sheikra does nothing what so ever

3 Likes